Poetry Discussion : Poetic Etiquette - Please Read!

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Everyone,

This thread was created so that new Members joining us can know how we flow.

Much of what we do here is "understood ... unspoken rules ... poetic etiquette," and not a direct result of our Official Forum Rules.

Unfortunately, new folk joining us aren't always aware of these "unspoken rules" ... thus the creation of this thread ... Poetic Etiquette ... so they can know.

Everyone is encouraged to post their own "Poetic Etiquette Suggestions" ... tips that you think may help a new person joining us. It is our hope that each Family Member will consider these suggestions.

Looking forward to :book: what you think every Member should know!

:heart:

Destee

I'll be the first to add unofficial rules ...

1. Don't flood the forum with your poetry!

Yessssss ... we want to read your work, but please give us a little bit at a time. Don't post every peace you've ever written, immediately after joining us. Start slowly by posting a peace or two at a time. If you have 5+ peaces on the "first page" of the poetry forum, you are probably posting too many within a short period of time.

Every Member wants their work to remain on the "first page" of the poetry forum as long as possible. If you flood the forum with many of your peaces ... you are pushing everyone else's work to the back pages (which happens quickly enough because there are so many poets).

2. Give the kind of love you want to receive!

Encourage the poets by reading and responding to their work, especially those peaces that have few or no replies. Unlike number 1 above, there is no possible way that you can give too much love.

3. If you don't have anything kind to say, don't say anything!

It takes a lot for folk to put their heartfelt thoughts, feelings and words on the page. We must receive and treat their gift properly.

While constructive criticism, which is sometimes negative, has its place ... that place is not here. There are enough places in the world where we must prove ourselves, deal with the rigors of living up to someone else's standard, justify every word, line and comma in our life ... but we don't have to do that here. We are at home, amongst friends and family ... :)

Of course, if someone requests constructive criticism, feel free to oblige them, but trust that each poet's individual growth is guaranteed ... simply by being in the company of so many talented, conscious and encouraging Sisters and Brothers.

While we do have a forum where members share there honesty and realsm to a poem / poetry in our Black Poetry Critiques forum , when you looking for positive and negative critiques and feedback on your work / art or piece.

Destee

4 Astract out wordz we ask that they remain and that these words not be violated
Through time as words has been used in the ugly way harmful and disrespectful we form a Ban word list these words placed here to help guide us and we hope that everyone support it. you can find these words here in this link below .

http://www.destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=219305&postcount=9

5. Pictures and premium members we have a place for such when we are displaying nudity or boarderline type of graphics and or images.

These type of photo's are to be place'd within your private area of your profile page and not to public for we hold a standard high with respect to the community and members alike, so be aware of the pictures / images you post here when it comes to displaying body parts , if we see it's to graphic or not acceptable it would be by our decission to remove it / them from the view of the community.

:heart:

Destee

THE ***** IS BACK!

Well, I couldn't let the opportunity pass to express myself on an issue that I took issue with long ago...nice to see that Love showing "Unoffical Rule", though not always adhered to it does create an incentive. I hear the logistics and the science behind the limited post "Unofficial Rule", but if it's going to be a rule then let's just say it's a rule. Creativity by it's very nature has walls of governing that bend and stretch and bow from time to time , that is the beauty of the flow. I do know that marinating a flow has created a different rhythm sometimes good sometimes bad.
The passion involved in the Cyper Open mic is getting the word out, I can't hate nobody who has a lot to say...Especially if it's positive. I hate that he was made to feel unwelcome . I have had times when I too felt unwelcome. Even when I returned love over and over again, it was seldom reciprocated, perhaps they thought that I just sucked...HEY! I am trying to do this and eventually get paid , if you think my stuff is lacking then hit me on my PM (Msluciousb's Unofficial Rule) tell me if my stuff needs work .
But, we old timers should take the time to adopt a new poet , befriend them and show them the ropes on the DL, cause we are all grown folks and nobody , but nobody likes chastisement with an audience. Much respect to the Mother of Destee, she with the tools, rules!
Blessings on Ya House!

I agree that you should only post a few pieces at once, and I also agree with msluciousb that the criticism should not come in front of an audience. I must admit that I have never responded to the birthday wishes, so I will do better $$RICH$$. Thanks for bringing my attention to it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back