Black People : Please tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SayWord, Apr 7, 2004.

1. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
  2. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmm...ima wait for others to reply to this before i state my opinion...
    :heart:
    -story

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yo Story, you might be 11 years younger than me but ummm.....

I am following my big Sister story on this one.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brother Sayword, thank you for posting this information and soliciting our opinions. Words are amazing aren't they? I think that the information you've shared is a good example of how words can be manipulated and used to either tear down or build up. It's all a matter of how they are used by groups of people. I love the way that "we" take words that are meant to be insulting and demeaning to us, and restructure them to give us a sense of power. I think that "Uppity Negro" does that.

At first, when I saw the title, "Uppity Negro", it definitely caught my eye and caused me to immediately become suspicious of the content of the site. As many of us believe, the term Negro is not one that most Black/African Americans choose to be called by and for obvious reasons. The word "uppity" also connotes a derogatory characteristic as well--at least in the way that racists have used it and even some of our own people have used it to label some of us.

So, putting the two words together definitely would not be widely accepted as a term of endearment or be perceived as a compliment if one is called that. But I have to say, in the context in which the information I found at the website was written, I was impressed at how cleverly it was manipulated to express qualities of "us" that I admire.

The way that it's used at the site, I don't find it offensive as a label. I think it would definitely send a message to the former and current "massa's" that we ain't on the plantation any more, don't you? So, to be an "uppity Negro" has nothing to do with wealth or value of property nor does it mean that you're a foot shuffling "Uncle Tom." The way I'm interpreting this, it has everything to do with how we, as Black people think and how we act when it comes to oppression and injustice.

Now, I'm curious to know though, what other members think, especially those that chose to lay back and wait to see what opinions others might have about this.

To paraphrase an old saying: It ain't what you're called by, it's what you answer to.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

5. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not offended by the term Negro.
    I looked athe sight-- I don't agree with everything on it; but most of it.
    What is wrong with the term Negro?

6. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well my beef was not with the term negro it was the store that caught my attention. I personally think this whole website is geared towards making money by introducing a new identity to a people who have a shattered one.

Just my thought on it!

BIG SIS STORY yo TURN!!!

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    What's wrong with making money?

I recall back in the 1960s and 70s when African Americans began to change the way they thought about themselves due to the Civil Rights Movement and made efforts to display their new found self-pride. Slogans like, "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" became popular. Hairstyles like the afro became popular, and clothing apparel like the dashiki distinguished us from all others.

Our music also changed and there was an upsurge in songs that sent strong political messages and it just seemed as though we all became politically conscious and bold in our expression of who we were. It was a beautiful era for us because we were no longer AFRAID to flaunt and strut our stuff in the white community and that was the first time you really felt free to be yourself.

Personally, I don't mind it if our people find creative ways to send a positive message, help to open our minds and broaden our horizons and make money at the same time. I don't agree that we're a shattered people. We may not be as focused as we once were, but we're not broken down or falling apart at the seams. There are still enough of us who are warriors that are helping to build and rebuild our community.

We should support our Black businesses including those that create a product of a political nature for the betterment of us all, and are smart enough to convert the idea into capital. Who knows, this particular company could be taking some of their profits and turning them back into the community to uplift it even more. We don't know, but if it's important to us and before you spend your money, ask them and see. That's just one thing we can do as a unified group to get ourselves back on track and moving forward.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

8. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    i agree with both u (mani and Queeni) on this issue...blacks i beleive should have bussinesses...i think its cool...but its the way u put it out there that matters...kinda like pimp juice....there was a thread on that a while ago...that is a very nutritional energy drink...but its the name that degrades us...what it portrays...i maybe we should find other ways to portray ourselves...something more postive...
    :heart:
    -story