• Kindle ebook

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Nook book

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ebook sources

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Got this synopsis off SJ's link:

Chloe doesn’t believe in coincidences , so when strange things keep happening in her life, she seeks the help of a Candomblé priestess to find out what’s what. She thinks the message of the spirits trying to contact her may have something to do with her desire to do something great with her life. She knows she wants to do something more than what her mother wants her to do—get a good education so she can get a good job working for someone else. As her visions become more corporal, Chloe gets literally swept out of her 21st century Los Angeles world in the stormy vortex of Oya, the African Orisha of the wind. Oya takes Chloe on a journey through time that throws her into the world of Ayodele, her 19th century ancestor on a Virginia tobacco plantation. Together the two women struggle to achieve more than society expects of them as women and as African Americans.

===============

This is pretty original (the elements put together). I can't think of a single book I've read that is anything like it. I was kind of thinking of Zora Neale Hurston's "Your arms to short to box with God," for the "swept out of her 21st century LA world." I was thinking of Zora's lead character leaving her familiar life to embark on a strange, untried life, but I'd have to read your book to see if it fits.

Same elements: Black female heroine, grandmother who wants the best for her (vs mother who wants your character to get a good education), leaving grannie, etc. :10500:

The link worked fine for me...complete with animation.

I'm a big scifi (some fantasy) reader. The last 3 novels I read in this genre since the beginning of the year are:

1) "Knight of the Word" - Terry Brooks
2) "Refugee" volume 1 - Piers Anthony
3) "Speaker for the Dead" - Orson Scott Card

I'll gladly read and review your book. Is it downloadable from someplace other than Amazon? I do most of my reading on my Nexus tablet.

(coincidentally I wrote a short story last year with the African deity "Elegua" as one of main characters simply because I couldn't find any books or stories that had African Mythology as a backdrop)

The link worked fine for me...complete with animation.
Had you tried a few days ago, it wouldn't have. It works fine "today." :)

After reading and listening (to the link), I immediately thought of the movie, Somewhere in Time.

Somewhere in Time is a 1980 romantic fantasy film directed by Jeannot Szwarc. It is a film adaptation of the 1975 novel Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson, who also wrote the screenplay. The film stars Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, Christopher Plummer, Teresa Wright, and Bill Erwin.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back