Law Forum : Plea Bargaining

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 25, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Reading a recent response from Sister PhynxofKmt, i'm reminded of something Brother OldSoul shared with us during one of his classes long ago.

If memory serves me properly ... he said that if Black People stopped plea bargaining, and made the state or government take their case to trial, it would overwhelm the system. They could never take all of the cases they bring, to trial. The depend on a certain number of defendants plea bargaining.

Plea bargaining also means you're admitting that you're guilty ... i think.

I guess if one is guilty, and trying to make the situation as best they can, perhaps a plea bargain is reasonable ... iono ... i aint no attorney ... but gosh ... be careful everyone.

:heart:

Destee

2. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    You are right

Sister Destee,

A plea bargain is an admission of guilt, which means you have a record. The benefit to a plea bargain is a reduced sentence, but here again you have to weigh the odds of being found guilty.

What is the evidence held by the prosecutor, and what is your lawyer willing to challenge. Remember that a defendant never has to take the stand, unless considered a viable manouver by your representation, and most often you should be kept off the stand and away from cross examination.

A good lawyer will ensure that you are prepped for court. Meaning he will run through all possible cross examination questions with you, and help you prepare your answers. Always answer any questions directed to you in a simple straight forward fashion. Don't get smart or confrontational on the stand, you will be treated as a hostile witness and that's a death cry in your own camp. Answer with a yes or no, and only give information that pertains to the question, it is not up to you to make explanations.

For example, if the defense asks you "were you present on the night of October 4, 2010 when Jane Doe was shot?" You simply say yes or no, not yes but.... it's up to your lawyer to fill in the picture with questions that will give an account for you in the best possible light.

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Make 'em work!
    Fight like hell and take it to the house.