Black Relationships : Platonic Friendships...hummm?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by HoneyBrown05, Jan 29, 2006.

1. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Ladies and gentlemen of this forum, young and old. I wanted to know if you all believe that it is possible for a man and a woman to have a platonic relationship? For those of you who do not know what "platonic" means it means "spiritual" not "sexual". And do you also think that it's important to have one and why?

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Honestly speaking, platonic relationships between a man and a woman only exist if you are not attracted to that person. I have had male friends for years. Some were able to stay just platonic and the other few, we were attracted to each other and it was no longer platonic and it also ruined the relationship(friendship)

3. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I think its possible if you set boundaries. I had a platonic friend whom I could talk to about everything especially when I needed a male point of view. I think that it is healthy to have platonic relationships with the opposite sex. Men and women can be friends just don't look at him or her in a sexual way.

4. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Honestly, this has never worked for me. Even though I KNOW I'm not interested in the guy, except as a friend, he at some point tries to cross or crosses the boundary. I still haven't given up on this yet because some guys make interesting friends and I like interesting people.

Once I came home with a guy from a party late one night. I thought this guy was a platonic friend. We had known each other for almost a year, and I was very comfortable around him. I mean he had never shown any kind of sexual interest in the least. We always just enjoyed being with each other talking, playing cards, and going out to movies. I almost looked at him as a brother. Anyway, since it was very late and icy outside and since I had an extra bed in my bedroom, I told him that he could sleep in the other bed. I was sharing an apartment at the time with a girlfirend.

I woke up later, in the dark, with this heavy weight on me, pressing me down, and something was "humping" against me on top of the thick comforter. It was him! Well, he ejaculated all over the comforter before I could get him off the bed. He was very apologetic but I told him he had to go and I haven't seen him since. I've missed his friendship and never understood why he messed up our friendship by doing that.

5. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    :wave: HoneyBrown05, in my circle of male friends we certainly have and have had platonic relationships for years. As a matter of fact, the majority of my "friends" are male and have always been that way.

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    i like em! love to get inside that female mind; it is just so cool, so rich, so different! adds a whole nuther dimension to everything.

have had a few. sometimes i blow it by moving there a bit. sometimes they just disappear, usually when a new boyfriend pops up .. which might have to do with "jealousy" on his part, or that it wasn't supposed to have been "plutonic"?

7. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Dangee Riada... this is funny and sad all at the same time, why he have to go and mess things up?

8. jgyknowledge

jgyknowledge Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Sometimes I think that man/woman can be platonic friends and sometimes I don't. From a married person's point of view I'd say no, because of the intimate nature of a man/woman relationship. I think two married people could have mutual friends, but not exclusive....

From a non-married person's point of view, I'd say you can have a good platonic friend. But, there will always be some sexual tension from both or one of the parties, emotional and/or sexual.

9. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I had a friend who I really thought was my friend but all the time he was loving me like a man a woman do.He helped me get my new car and he was always there for me no matter what as I was for him.
    I was going through a real low point in my life and he knew it!
    Well one day we were playing around and he dragged me off of the couch across the room and forced himself upon me!
    I didn't want it and I told him so, I even cried about it
    but it didn't matter to him! I have just recently ended the friendhip because I just realized he was obsessed with me, he wasn't a friend!:maddd: :maddd:
    Why are some men like this?

10. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I wish I could answer your question. If he wanted to have a sexual relationship with you, why didn't he just tell you? By forcing himself on you, you could have had him arrested!! I don't know why some men put themselves in the position to be locked up when all he had to do was talk to you about his feelings. If you still said no, then he could have found someone else.

Just like with the guy that I talked about. I'll never understand either why he did that. It spoiled a good friendship. He was an attractive man and could have easily gotten other women. So, I have no idea why he spoiled everything for two minutes of humping!!:eek:hmy: