Black Women : Plastic surgery

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by sadie's brown, Feb 11, 2004.

1. sadie's brown

sadie's brown Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    What are your thoughts on plastic surgery...is it vain or a sign of poor self-esteem, or simply a matter of choice? Has anyone had it, if so, how was the experience..if not would you consider undergoing it?

2. cojamalik

cojamalik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I think every person has to make that decision for themselves. I had plastic surgery, I was up the same day. It was not a bad experience for me. I don't regret it. I am very satisfied.
    For the people out there that say that it is vain, low self esteem or whateve,. they are being judgemental. If I had it to do all over again I would make the same decision. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the line I may change my opinion on this. To have plastic surgery was a decision I made after years of thought.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Wonder why they call it PLASTIC surgery?

I don't think I would ever have cosmetic surgery for reasons to change my appearance without any medical need to. If something happened and I was terribly "disfigured" and wanted to look as close to my original appearance as possible, then probably.

I'll admit that there are times when I do criticize some people for using surgery to alter how they look, particularly Black people who want features that make them more European looking. The Michael and Janet Jacksons in the world do disturb me, even though I realize what they do has nothing to do with me. I don't know . . . it's just the way that it is with me sometimes. Doesn't make it right though.

But people do things all the time to alter their appearance and without having to have surgery. Hair extensions, dyes, permanents, weaves, false nails, padded bras, make-up, braces for our teeth, etc. all are things used to change how we look. We're all vain to some extent, I think. Some men buy cars to make them "look" and feel different. What does all this say about who we are? Maybe it says nothing more than some of us are people that want to feel good about ourselves and look attractive to others. I think it's a sad testament to our society though, that many people feel they need to carve their bodies up just to feel accepted and good.

Too much emphasis is placed on how we look in American society and not on who we are as individuals. What would happen if we all threw away our mirrors and stood naked (figuratively speaking) before the world and demanded that it respect us for who we are and not for how we look?

Simply put . . . all that glitters ain't gold!

Peace :spinstar:

4. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    I am so glad at times for "opinions"...because everybody is entitled to theirs. So here's mine... No, I have never had surgery in that manner and unless in the future something horrible happens to force me into it, I don't think I would. I have no problem what-so-ever with those that choose that way of life, but it's not me ONLY because I have never seen a person on the physical first. To me, my body is just a house, to hold, store and protect the inner (real beauty). just my opinion...

5. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I don’t agree with plastic surgery for reasons of vanity and feel the whole concept is completely “out of hand” in today’s society. I do however feel that plastic surgery has been a wonderful option for the correction of cleft lip patients, burn victims or other forms of severe disfigurement. I would only consider plastic surgery in the case of the latter.

6. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think.....

plastic surgery is good if it's to repair birth defects or other defects from an accident or something like that.I plan to have breast reduction because breastfeeding increased my breast size and I want my smaller breast back.I don't think I'm offending God because Yes, he made me,but He didn't make me this way, certain physical and chemical effects took over and that was just how it was for me and my body.Now If you just want a cute nose or full lips then I feel that's a little extreme. There are risk, you have to make yourself aware or beware.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't know if I am walking were I'm not welcome, but I believe people should be happy with what God gave them. As many of the sisters here have already said, I am against the concept of plastic surgery for any other reason than to correct injury. Speaking as a man, I can say there is something very beautiful about the female body. One of the most beautiful characteristics of this body is its diversity. Speaking of sisters, they come in various shades & sizes, which is how women are suppose to be.

There is someone for everyone, I truly believe that. If all women were the same men would lose interest quickly, because not everyone is attracted to the same thing. The point about the natural diversity of women is important, because cosmetic surgery seeks to make people uniform, not diverse. It goes against nature, which is never a good thing. In addition, many surgical procedures look bad. Breast implants for example never look real to me (more like two balloons sitting on a woman's chest). To me I'd rather have a woman with small breast than one with implants (afterall women's breast grow naturally when they have children anyway). :D

This is all my opinion, and people can do whatever they want, but I think there are better things to spend money on.

8. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with plastic surgeory as long as your motives aren't a refelection of any insecurities.

On the other hand if you are happy with the way you are but might want a change to certain things then that's okay by me.

9. Sapphdia

Sapphdia Active Member MEMBER

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +0

But if you're happy with the way you are then why would you want to change? To me that would suggest that you really aren't happy.

10. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    EXACTLY!

You're right. That person may not have been happy with themself, therefore they don't even qualify to be considered as such. They fall amongst those who have plastic surgeory for the wrong reasons.

"I" think that you can be happy with yourself but may feel experimental and want a change. It's kind of like liking certain things but wanting to embellish.

I've read articles where people have the surgeory done, for example on their breasts, for breast cancer patients who had their breast/s removed but don't feel the same as they used to.

And some even have plastic surgeory to remodel certain areas, like breasts again; if they are the type of woman who have to have some of their breasts reduced for health reasons.

It all goes back to your motives, if you have a legit reason to have it done and can afford it, go for it.

Everyone is different.

Some will agree with it and some won't. Let's just remember that not everyone is the same and won't agree on the same things no matter how correct the defense sounds.