Black People : Plan to build a stronger community: I am listening and open for feedback

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by blazejay, Nov 22, 2012.

1. blazejay

blazejay Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +165
    I have read threads and agree about the ideals of buying land, and growing our own food even making our own clothes,etc....
    I am totally behind the idea's of such independence and freedom.
    My question is the complex part of all this, how can someone be part or take part in such efforts when most not all of our people in the situation I am in unemployed and no matter what you try to do to get a job, it seem as though there is no jobs or employer willing to hire?
    I am trying to persevere and not give up, but I try to come up with ways to start a business and even freelance but hit a wall due to my own ignorance or misunderstanding of how to start a business.
    There is no way around it, it take money to start a business unless you are non-profit.

I can apply for grant's for that, but I have research and look into grants for small businesses.
    I found little to no information on them lately.
    The wises thing I have learned from anybody is to have at least a part-time job also.
    I think if I re-think it through I will come up with a solution to this, what will be best to contract my services or just stay on the wheel of finding a job?
    What can I be doing to help while I am still unemployed and searching for a job?

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

What skills do you have?

3. blazejay

United States
    Ratings:
    +165
    Computer,Research,Logistics,and Some Marketing Skills.

4. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I saw Cisco Routers in your profile... are you certified? at what level?

5. blazejay

United States
    Ratings:
    +165
    Yes and Associate/Professional Level

6. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    why stop there.. start preparing for the CCIE Written exam.. get that done and on your resume.. even without having the lab complete, it gives you a certain standing. The Lab is a muthaf#### but you should be taking that with company money.. not your own. Use this internet for what it's really for.. education. Get your skills up and sharp. Get involved in some open source projects.. make the transition to programming.. if you haven't already. Scrape some registration money together and setup your own consulting company. Put "Independent Consultant" on your resume for your current work.. get your business cards printed up.. get your checking account setup.. get on Monster.. Dice and every other tech job site and look for opportunities that fit your skillset. You gotta go get it if you want it, it's not going to come to you. And a CCNP is not that hard to get.. you gotta take it to the next level. Throw in some other certs.. get your consulting website up.. and hit the pavement.. offer your services to companies.. let them know you are available. They may not know that they need you until you convince them. Think about how you can save them money.. how you can streamline their networks and give them "new" capability. Figure out how you can sell what you know to people who don't know what you know. Put a seminar together at the church.. put together a slide presentation and teach the fundamentals of Networking to some young men and women. Take them from no skills to some skills.. and charge a nominal fee. That's just one angle.. There are a million of em.. and you have to try each one until you find the one that gets you what you want.

The building blocks of a strong community is motivated individuals. You gotta secure your ability to maintain food, clothes and shelter before you can worry about building anything. First things first.

7. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    You have given great advice Skuder...:) Looking for a job is a job in itself.
    Hard times are ahead and each individual must be able to learn as much as they can. It can be doubly hard when a man is out of work and he is the only breadwinner in the family. Hope he takes your advice.

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I'm not a computer person. So, I don't know what-all Skuder is talkin' bout....Cisco/CCIE/CCNP

For me, techie jargon is like Greek with Japanese adjectives. lol

But, all-in-all, that sounded like some good, do-able advice he gave you. :toast:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/index.jspa

http://www.linkedin.com/
    http://jobsearch.about.com/od/networking/a/linkedin2.htm

http://www.monster.com/
    .....I'll be praying for you, blazejay.

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Do you have a CCNA or CCNP?
    If you do, you should have no problem getting a job. There are a lot of jacked up networks out there :).

If you have a CCNA along with a server cert for Microsoft, you'd be alright.

10. blazejay

United States
    Ratings:
    +165
    Thanks for the advice and I will do what is advise to do.
    If I have to choose I will be safe with Associate level.