Black Money Business Jobs : Pittsburgh: Wide Racial Income Disparity

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Destee, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Pittsburgh: Wide Racial Income Disparity

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI 06.26.07, 4:05 PM ET

The city's black population is one of the poorest in the nation and black men here are nearly twice as likely as white men to be unemployed, according to a report released Tuesday by the University of Pittsburgh.

The report brings to light the vast disparities in wealth, income and quality of life between blacks and whites in the city and its suburbs.

One of Pittsburgh's major problems is its lack of diversity and highly segregated neighborhoods, researchers said. These factors contribute to the persistent employment and population-retention problems the region has suffered since the steel industry collapsed in the 1980s.

Broad differences in income between blacks and whites in the region - whites' median annual income exceeds that of blacks by more than $10,000 - may be a symptom of other disparities, including the high rate of black children who live in households headed by single women, according to the report.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    "highly segregated neighborhoods"

'Segregated' Schools Hinder Reading Skills

If a SIZABLE POPULATION of PITTSBURGH brothers and sisters can't READ at so called STATE AVERAGE then its the STATES FAULT for not PROPERLY ADDRESSING segregation.

They have some BLIND OFFICIALS in PITTSBURGH. I really hate to say it. But they are not UP to any CHALLENGE. Even with the EVIDENCE right in their FACE.

Not GOOD for US as a COMMUNITY....

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Doesn't make sense

I don't believe segregation is the problem, and I know for certain all-black schools are capable of turning out extraordinary students.

There are too many examples of black excellence at black schools, with black teachers working with black administrators, for me to buy into the negative propaganda pushed by this story.

The last 40 years should have shown us that segregation has quite a few merits and we shouldn't be so quick to overlook them this time around.

4. nubian noir

nubian noir Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35
    There has to be a point where one has to look into the mirror and do a self evaluation and take stock in what is going on with them and why and what they are doing to help or hinder the situation. If you are unable to read do all you can to find out how you can obtain this skill. Always look to see what you can do for yourself first. As far as the racial divide in pittsburgh and the economical divide. The reason for that is we as a people do not value our own resources. The resources that are available to use we do not use them to there full value. We have start doing business with each other. We have start taking back our children and teaching them to respect themselve and the value power of education. We have to stop looking for fair teatment from those that have a daily mission to annihilate. Pittsburgh will never be a place that will welcome blacks.

5. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Understandably (OVERSTANDABLY for DESTEE members) but lets look at SEGREGATION as it relates to our COMMUNITY....

SEGEGATION as STATE LAW held anyone with AFRICAN blood or appearance in a TIGHT BOX which meant CLASS ISSUES were SQUEEZED in that BOX and REMAINED THERE. That meant FOLKS (CLASS oreinted, SOCIAL oreinted) altogether had to MAINTAIN a LEVEL of SOCIAL CALLINGS or OBLIGATIONS ( for CLASS folks) for each of US to DWELL TOGETHER.

That HELPED our POOR MEMBERS get SERVICES they would have not NORMALLY GET like they DO TODAY.

What do I mean?

SEGREGATION today (40 years later) still takes on BLACK MATTERS still but it includes a DISPORTIONATELY LARGE POOR CLASS of BLACK PEOPLE.

MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT (especially OUR young BLACK MALES)

HOMELESSNESS

DRUGS such as VIOLENCE and ADDICTION

POOR BUSINESS PRACTICES (HOUSING EMPLOYMENT EDUCATION)

HIGH LEVEL of PERSONAL DEBT

Which TRANSLATES to GREATER SOCIETY (including BLACK MIDDLE CLASS) you should get POOR TREATMENT TOO...

Poorest students get inexperienced teachers, study says

All this is RIGHT in PITTSBURGH OFFICIALS FACE for YEARS so they are WITHOUT EXCUSE.

If BROTHERS and SISTERS cannot READ.... They are not TACKLING the ISSUE and letting it DRAG ON.

Finished.......

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I have surmised for some time it will take a return to overt and blatant racism to force the black community into doing for self...as we had done historically in this country prior to the last 40 years.

See the recent supreme court decisions for indications of where we're headed. It might be painful, but sometimes you have to take your medicine to get healthy.

As soon as the black middle class feels the same squeeze from racism as the poor currently do, we will have no choice but to change our tactics.

We are fully capable of doing so, but we have become too conditioned to making reflexive, pavlonian appeals for justice and equal treatment (i.e. begging) from the same folks who've setup the system to our disadvantage.

The "THEY" we talk about who isn't giving us X,Y and Z is code for the white power structure.

Our most gifted thinkers still running around whining about "white supremacy", while the intellectuals from other ethnic groups propose strategies that are snatching power from the european and producing tangible results for their people (i.e. chinese, east indian, south americans, etc).

Complaining that white political institutions, government entities or private enterprises dont serve the best interests of black people is supremely illogical.

Why should they? Do they OWE us equal treatment? What, you mean you think they really believe in their own laws?

Sheeeeyyyiiiii....Time out on all these excuses.

If black kids can't read in all-black schools then BLACK people ARE the problem and BLACK people ARE the solution.

Immediately after deseg you had a flood of black students coming from all-black environments go up in white schools and compete heads up, toe-to-toe, no remedial BS, and did so in the face of overt hostility.

Now you wanna tell me black kids can't read unless there are enough white folks in close proximity?

Nah, I don't buy it.

Resegregation could be the best thing thats happened to black people in 40 years if we ever got around to making ourselves the center of our own universe.

7. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    This has some ENTERTAINMENT VALUE besides its DISCUSSION VALUE.

At least for me....

I dont think any MIDDLE CLASS BLACK PERSON is PREPARED to take on the HUGE POOR CLASS at this POINT.

The MIDDLE CLASS are even TEACHING their CHILDREN to AVOID with FEAR leading to HATRED the POOR BOTTOM BROKE BROTHERS and SISTERS.

THE GULF between the CLASSES have almost come to a POINT of NO RETURN.

SEGREGATION if ISSUED will REDEFINE BLACK PEOPLE in AMERICA in a UGLY TERRIBLE BACKSLIDING WAY.

Besides you mentioned the OTHER PEOPLE in the NATION so things CANNOT be LIKE IT WAS BEFORE.

But this may be something that NEEDS much CONSIDERATION.

8. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    This is how SLOPPY things are becoming.

There is an EXPRESS LINK between how LOCAL to STATE and STATE to LOCAL operate.

If one NEGLECTS the OTHER NEGLECTS to and VICE VERSA.

No MYSTERY there...

Pa. Budget Fight Brings Partial Shutdown

9. blazejay

blazejay Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +165
    It all leads back to community involvement, if we as a community do not voice our disapproval of the treatment of all the grievance for better education of our future leaders they will continue the same trend.
    Raheem Devaughn Prophesied it right on the head, in the song "Bulletproof"; he mention"we fighting for education." Which is what we will be doing now until they hear enough.
    They just blatantly gave up on my generation, so we got to say something or the future generation will be a bleak one.
    It mighty strange, but politics and economics play a very vital role in all of this.

They using any and all things to invest in lily white schools and leaving the rest to fend for self.
    They will also use that as grounds to still "leave us behind technologically" on a sneak tip.
    We can do a lot, but again without no form of community or unity not much can get done.

10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Segregation de facto occurs via economics and education today.
    Segragation de jure was the rule of the day in the past.

Perhaps if we spent more personal time on education rather than leisure ....
    Perhaps if we spent more money on education rather than trinkets ....

... the situation could be turned around immediately ?

When I state "spend more money on education", I'm talking about individuals and families. The last thing we need at this point, in my opinion, is to organize in some group only to have the administrators or trustees embezzle funds.