Ethiopia : Pillars of Ethiopian Christianity

Abdurratln:

THIS IS THE CHRISTIANITY STUDY FORUM.

Ok. Somebody needs to do a better job of making that clear. I saw it under "Black Study Group". I hope this was not meant as a trap. As long as you keep it under "christianity" and not "Black Study Group" You should have no problem out of me. I converted from Christianity and want NOTHING to ever do with it again. Just do not confuse it with "Black Study" because that is my field of specialty. Besides, I am not even subscribed to this thread. So, I have no idea how it got me involved in the first place. Even though I am not subscribed to it, I received a notice from it. Something fishy is going on. I smell a rat. Been having problems all day. Some of my original work has been apparently stolen. CIA? FBI? Who knows? They have been known to mess with anything African.

Ok. Somebody needs to do a better job of making that clear. I saw it under "Black Study Group". I hope this was not meant as a trap. As long as you keep it under "christianity" and not "Black Study Group" You should have no problem out of me. I converted from Christianity and want NOTHING to ever do with it again.

THANK YOU.

Just do not confuse it with "Black Study" because that is my field of specialty. Besides, I am not even subscribed to this thread. So, I have no idea how it got me involved in the first place. Even though I am not subscribed to it, I received a notice from it. Something fishy is going on. I smell a rat. Been having problems all day. Some of my original work has been apparently stolen. CIA? FBI? Who knows? They have been known to mess with anything African.

ALL of the SPIRITUAL PATHS fall under "BLACK STUDY."

But, they are SEPARATED by each SPIRITUAL PATH.

ISLAM has its OWN "BLACK STUDY SUB-FORUM."

Try POSTING your Quranic studies THERE.

Lalibela is a town in northern Ethiopia. Lalibela is one of Ethiopia's holiest cities, second only to Aksum, and is a center of pilgrimage for much of the country. Unlike Aksum, the population of Lalibela is almost completely Ethiopian Orthodox Christian. Lalibela was intended to be a New Jerusalem in response to the capture of Jerusalem by Muslims, and many of its historic buildings take their name and layout from buildings in Jerusalem...

History

During the reign of Saint Gebre Mesqel Lalibela (a member of the Zagwe Dynasty, who ruled Ethiopia in the late 12th century and early 13th century) the current town of Lalibela was known as Roha. The saintly king was given this name due to a swarm of bees said to have surrounded him at his birth, which his mother took as a sign of his future reign as Emperor of Ethiopia. The names of several places in the modern town and the general layout of the monolithic churches themselves are said to mimic names and patterns observed by Lalibela during the time he spent in Jerusalem and the Holy Land as a youth.

Lalibela is said to have seen Jerusalem and then attempted to build a new Jerusalem as his capital in response to the capture of old Jerusalem by Muslims in 1187. As such, many features have Biblical names - even the town's river is known as the River Jordan. It remained the capital of Ethiopia from the late 12th century and into the 13th century......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalibela,_Ethiopia

Lalibela...
stgeorgerockchurchlalib.gif

259635167025c647911.jpg

Churches

This rural town is known around the world for its monolithic churches which play an important part in the history of rock-cut architecture. Though the dating of the churches is not well established, most are thought to have been built during the reign of Lalibela, namely during the 12th and 13th centuries. There are 13 churches, assembled in four groups:

The Northern Group: Bet Medhane Alem, home to the Lalibela Cross and believed to be the largest monolithic church in the world, probably a copy of St Mary of Zion in Aksum. It is linked to Bete Maryam (possibly the oldest of the churches), Bete Golgotha (known for its arts and said to contain the tomb of King Lalibela), the Selassie Chapel and the Tomb of Adam.

The Western Group: Bete Giyorgis, said to be the most finely executed and best preserved church.

The Eastern Group: Bete Amanuel (possibly the former royal chapel), Bete Merkorios (which may be a former prison), Bete Abba Libanos and Bete Gabriel-Rufael (possibly a former royal palace), linked to a holy bakery.

Farther afield lie the monastery of Ashetan Maryam and Yimrehane Kristos church (possibly eleventh century, built in the Aksumite fashion but within a cave).....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalibela,_Ethiopia

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back