Health and Wellness : Physiological and Psychological Impact of Racism for African Americans

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Often, we, at Destee.com, have conversations about Black people's behavior, thinking patterns, and relationships. Sometimes these conversations are presented in a way that are perceived to blame our relationship failures on each other--Black men and Black women. A lot of opinions are offered, agreements and disagreements stated. Most comments are based on the day-to-day observations or experiences by some with what might seem as simple, straight forward solutions presented, i.e., change the way you think, don't believe the hype and treat each other more respectfully and, dare I say, lovingly.

I and maybe some others think the problem is deeper and more complex and stems from a system of white supremacy that was started centuries before our time and that which has manifested itself in the form of deep psychological and emotional conditions still today.

Do Black people have an aversion to mental therapy? Do we believe that we can change who we have been taught to be without it? To get beyond the talk...the act of simply recognizing that we have problems, to action, I submit this article and ask, what do you think?

african-american-woolworths_tcm7-149235.jpg

"On Feb. 1, 1960, four stools at a Woolworth’s lunch counter in Greensboro, N.C., sparked national media attention and led to hundreds of subsequent sit-ins across the country. The immediate and impactful influence that these four African-American students had on the non-violence movement during the civil rights era is frequently praised, particularly during Black History Month. However, the enormous personal stress that they likely experienced as they occupied those stools is less often considered. In honor of the four African-American students and African-Americans across the diaspora, the Ethnicity and Health in America Series is raising awareness about the physiological and psychological impact of racism and discrimination as it relates to stress. The chronic condition of stress was selected because of its prevalence and impact on health within health disparity population groups (e.g., people of color), and their high association with many other chronic diseases.

Although the chronic condition of stress can have negative side effects on all persons, the unique psycho-social and contextual factors, specifically the common and pervasive exposure to racism and discrimination, creates an additional daily stressor for African-Americans. Often, African-Americans do not realize daily stressors that may affect their psychological or physiological health and so we have compiled a collection of articles and additional resources to understand the health effects that result from exposure and perception of racism and discrimination."

Read more

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
WHAT IS P.T.S.S.?

P.T.S.S. is a theory that explains the etiology of many of the adaptive survival behaviors in African American communities throughout the United States and the Diaspora. It is a condition that exists as a consequence of multigenerational oppression of Africans and their descendants resulting from centuries of chattel slavery. A form of slavery which was predicated on the belief that African Americans were inherently/genetically inferior to whites. This was then followed by institutionalized racism which continues to perpetuate injury.

Thus, resulting in M.A.P.:

• M: Multigenerational trauma together with continued oppression;
  • A: Absence of opportunity to heal or access the benefits available in the society; leads to
  • P: Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome.

http://joydegruy.com/resources-2/post-traumatic-slave-syndrome/

Last edited:

Damaris Sheldon

Banned
Jun 27, 2016
My great grandpa told me bad stories about what some of the cooks he knew at many of the newly integrated Woolworths & CrackerBarrels in the South would do to the black protestor peoples food & beverages, it was kinda putrid to hear what the people he knew would do to those people, he agreed but he also said although he never had to experience the evil of racism but if he did he would never want to be near people who didn't want to be near him. Much less trust them to cook his food without some manner of resentment.

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
"The matrix is, however, still fully deceiving the majority of people. There might be explosive insights that give many a temporary view of an unveiled mindscape, but patterned wiring quickly sucks them back into their habitual behaviors. Yet once there is a ‘conscious’ commitment to explore the truths of our existence – including the systemic, societal and esoteric layers – the observer begins a process of unplugging from certain aspects of the program and emancipating themselves from their psychological, emotional and spiritual enslavement."

Read more

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : The Psychological Self Deterioration Black People Open Forum 0
Writeous1 Black People : The Daniel Prude Incident - The Psychological War Continues Black People Open Forum 2
King Tubbs Black Spirituality Religion : the psychological effects of white jesus continue to haunt us Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 58
skuderjaymes Black People : Psychological warping; Jail got these dudes convinced that snacks is money.. Black People Open Forum 2
Keita Kenyatta Black Spirituality Religion : The psychological effects of slavery through the image of christ. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 33
RAPTOR Black People : Colonialism And Media Psychological War - Dr. Jared Ball Black People Open Forum 9
skuderjaymes Black People : Lecture: Colonialism & Mass Media, Propoganda & Psychological War - Dr. Jared Ball Black People Open Forum 1
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Psychological Power Religion Has Over The Mind Of Black People Chief Elder Osiris 0
Ankhur Pan-Africanism : A Disertation on Pan Africanism/ and the necessary Psychological element needed Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1
Corvo Black People : psychological manipulation works Black People Open Forum 12
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE SUCCESSFUL SUBJECTIVE PSYCHOLOGICAL ATTACK AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE. Chief Elder Osiris 0
S Black People : PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF IMAGES Black People Open Forum 0
G Psychological trauma: What are some of the Signs in us? Black Health and Wellness 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : What Is The Psychological Implication When Black People Have A Need To Be Religious B Chief Elder Osiris 3
Isaiah Black People : PSY OPS(PSYCHOLOGICAL OPERATIONS) Black People Open Forum 0
Z Black Poetry : PSYCHOLOGICAL CHAINS Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
ASHANTA Quiet Poetry Lounge : Psychological Lynching Will Now Be Deleted Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Genetic impact of African slave trade revealed in DNA study African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Study on cannabis chemical as a treatment for pancreatic cancer may have 'major impact,' Harvard researcher says Science and Technology 0
B Black Education / Schools : Mental Health and Well-Being by Design: Leveraging and Scaling High Impact Solutions to Support Comm Black Education / Schools 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: More than Country Rap: Hip Hop’s Impact on the Post-Civil Rights American South Black People Politics 0
Queenie Science and Technology : 10 Tech trends that will impact social justice in 2018 Science and Technology 0
chuck Black People : What's Our Impact On The Mass Media Truly Being Based On? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Science and Technology : What's Bound To Be The Impact Of The Bretix On The Internet!! Science and Technology 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Calm solar cycle prompts questions about impact on Earth Science and Technology 6
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Documentary: "The More Effective Evil" - Impending impact of Pres. Obama's legacy? Black People Politics 11
Jahari Kavi Black People : Paying homage to some scholars who had an impact on my life Black People Open Forum 0
Mad Skillz Black People Politics : Dr. Tommy Curry says blacks need to address political and social systems to impact true change Black People Politics 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. John Henrik Clarke Origin and Impact of Racism. Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : AP IMPACT: Suicides are surging among US troops Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Americans should be prepared for a substantial and ongoing economic impact. Black People Open Forum 3
K Black People : Some so ignored that could have a huge impact Black People Open Forum 3
H Black Poetry : IMPACT Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : The Negative Impact of Cursing Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
kemetkind Egypt : Modern day impact of the Pert Em Heru Egypt 7
King Tubbs Black People : Black British Guy argues Hip Hop has negative impact on Black people..... Black People Open Forum 0
A Bird Flu's Impact Being Felt in U.S. Black Health and Wellness 0
I Black Ancestors : The impact of the slave trade on Africa :By Elikia M’bokolo Honoring Black Ancestors 3
P South Africa : The impact of AIDS in India & South Africa! South Africa 46
Destee Black People : Who Has Had The Greatest Positive Influence / Impact? Black People Open Forum 19
theDynasty1979 Black Poetry : victim impact statement Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9