Black Relationships : Physical Attraction

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by kente417mojo, Apr 5, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Do you think physical attraction is a big factor in determining if someone is relationship material? Would you ever date or marry someone that you were not physically attracted to? What if that person was everything that you wanted in a mate, minus appearance?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't think that in everyone case physical attraction is the divine factor
    but the loyal of a person heart and the inner beings which we all seek in a
    mate the beauty of a soul not the outter appearance

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    *male perspective alert*

I don't see a successful relationship if a man doesn't find his woman attractive, so yes looks are important. But there is a misperception about the emphasis that men put on physical attraction. If a man says that he wants a woman who is attractive that doesn't mean that she must look like Bernadette Stanis (Thelma-Good Times), Maia Campbell (Tiffany-In the House), Nia Long, Beyonce, or Vivica Fox. It simply means that his woman must be attractive to him. This is common sense because a relationship is both mental & physical. How can one make love to a woman that they don't find physically attractive?

4. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I too think that there has to be a physical attraction in order to have a strong relationship. I don't mean that a person has to be made-up all the time or a size 2 or anything like that, but I do think there has to ba an attraction physically. I know that the mind has alot to do with a relationship and that has to also be there. I think one of the best things is looking at a woman while she's doing something simple like watching TV or cooking or sleeping. I would definately want the person I am staring at to be pleasing to my eye. It's not a matter of physical perfection either. Natural physical beauty is very important. There are plenty of women that I think are beautiful that others may not. Like they say, it's all in the eye of the beholder. :hot:

5. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    ...she doesn’t have to be drop dead gorgeous, but it should be ok just as long as there is nothing about her that you have a strong disliking for....lol...if something about them makes you "cringe" or "frown", it probably ain’t gonna work.

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, a cringe or a frown definately means there is something wrong. Not good at all. :crying:

7. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hmmm, I think a cringe is far worse than a frown....lol. I always find myself smirking after I read threads like this. I agree though that the person needs to be pleasing to your eye, doesn't have to be an adonis, just pleasant to you. The rest comes from within.

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    *male perspective alert*

I think it is pretty much acknowledged that men are more visually stimulated than women. Although I can appreciate an intelligient woman. No, intelligience and sweetness are requirements for me. Neither or these attributes are important to me at 7:00am when I wake up & turn to look at my partner. The most important thing at that time is not having to recoil in horror...LOL!

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Let's see! This one is kind of tricky. I met quite a few people that were'nt physically attractive. As I got to know them I found them stimulating on an intellectual level. Their physical was'nt as important as the emphasize that society has placed on it. It caused me to take a look at the over all picture. The beauty that lied within the character was phenomenal and surpassed the physical. When I looked at him after I gotton to know him, All I saw was beauty. I Stayed with that person for 6yrs. And still today I find him to be very beautiful where others might beg to differ. I've dated gorgeous guys whom had the IQ of an acorn and the character of a brut. Although I was physically attracted to them, I could not bring myself to go any further than knowing that they were indeed very handsome. Having said that, I guess it all depends on how the individual define beauty and attractiveness.

10. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    **Here's how you know something might not be right on the physical level**

Woman: "Hey baby, I'm all ready to go out. How do I look?"
    Man: :puke:

**OR**

Man: "Baby, can you come help me with my feet?"
    Woman: :puke: