Black People : PHILOSOPHY AND OPINION OF MARCUS GARVEY ON CHRISTIANITY

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by OmowaleX, May 29, 2007.

1. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    A form of religion practised by the millions, but as misunderstood, and unreal to the majority as gravitation is to the untutored savage. We profess to live in the atmosphere of Christianity, yet our acts are as barbarous as if we never knew Christ. He taught us to love, yet we hate; to forgive, yet we revenge; to be merciful, yet we condemn and punish, and still we are Christians.
    If hell is what we are taught it is, then there will be more Christians there than days in all creation, To be a true Christian one must be like Christ abd practice Christianity, not as the Bishop does, but as he says, for if our lives were to be patterned after the other fellow's all if us, Bishop, Priest and Layman would ultimately meet around the furnace of hell, and none of us, because of our sins, would see salvation.

http://www.marcusgarvey.com/wmview.php?ArtID=69

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you for this link Brother Omowalex!

You couldn't have post it at a better time. As I am interesting in
    the mentality, behavior, and overall communty support of our Ancestors.

:heart:

3. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    ONE LOVE!
    :grouphug:

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Sistah P'Moons is right - You could not have posted this at a better time! I have had the Philosophy & Opinions of my Beloved Spiritual Grandfather Marcus Garvey sitting on my desk for about two weeks now, and just this morning I have decided to read it daily.

We need to learn to see things as they are, and not as we are, for the Truth will be further exposed to those who Seek it.

Rise Up!

MK

5. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Chief Osiris writes:

You have to read carefully in what Garvey is saying to understand what he mean, because you can become easly misled into believing and not Thinking about what Garvey is saying, but to keep away confusion, it set well with what I have said about Garvey and Religion, he knew something was wrong with it but he had not come into the Vision of Knowledge what path we must return to in regard to God.

Garvey is implying here that if we would adhear to the precept and examples laid out in the Jesus character, that the world would be an ideal heavenly place to live, but because the Christ Life attitude and behavior so displayed in this Story of Christ as put forward by the human being for purpose to control the Mind of the weak, is not taken serious by those claiming to be educated and is of influence over the weaker world, then we all will meet up at the round-table in the firey furnance of Hell.

HILY

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, Garvey saw that the teachings were what is important. Those teachings are not different from those taught by our African ancestors for ten of thousands of years. That's why the yt had to downplay the teachings and glorify the teacher

I don't think the religion itself was of any use to a man as enlightened as Garvey to the extent that he is telling people how to be true Christians, but he is just meeting the people where they are and through the teachings of the religion they claim to follow get them to where they need to be.