Black People : Philly's Ultimatum: Adequately Fund Our Schools or Face City-Wide Boycott

Alarm Clock

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 6, 2013
philly_school_protest_0.jpg

Parent: 'We're looking at funding schools so that buildings can open, rather than funding schools that can educate children. That's a terrible and dangerous standard.'

- Lauren McCauley, staff writer
Shunning a claim by Philadelphia school officials that the city only needs $50 million to open school doors on September 9th, parents, students and community leaders are threatening a district-wide boycott of the city's public schools if the city does not secure the full amount of funding necessary to ensure safe, effective schools.
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/08/13-3

Parent: 'We're looking at funding schools so that buildings can open, rather than funding schools that can educate children. That's a terrible and dangerous standard.'

Shunning a claim by Philadelphia school officials that the city only needs $50 million to open school doors on September 9th, parents, students and community leaders are threatening a district-wide boycott of the city's public schools if the city does not secure the full amount of funding necessary to ensure safe, effective schools.

$50 mill for a city that size is a drop in the bucket. There should be some very easy cuts they can do to get it. I smell corruption

Kevin Hart Donates $250K To Struggling Philadelphia School District

Capture1-250x179.jpg
Kevin Hart, a proud Philadelphia native, is giving back to the city that raised him in the best way possible. After hearing of the financial crisis plaguing the City of Brotherly Love’s school district, the comedian decided to pony up $250K of his own money to support. Hart made the announcement via a video on Instagram. “Philadelphia, aka the city of brotherly love,” he began in the clip. “I just heard about all the trouble the school district is going through. So I took it upon myself to take $250,000 and put it in the school system to buy new computers. Not because somebody told me to, because I love you, and I put on for my city.”
Additionally, Hart tagged a heartfelt caption with the vid. “My city made me who I am today and for that I am thankful. I will make it my priority to help my city get out of this debt. PHILLY UNTIL I DIE,” read a portion of the message.”
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter thanked Hart for his philanthropic contribution in a statement, saying “I want to thank Kevin Hart for his incredibly generous gift to our schools, recreation centers and citizens of all ages. These computers will have a very meaningful impact on Philadelphia.” For context, over the summer, Philly closed 24 schools, laid off thousands of employees (including teachers, counselors, vice principals, and the like), and cut numerous extra curricular programs.
article by Chris Thomas via hiphopwired.com

Cool. If they execute the economic sanction, this may hopefully get folks to wrap their head around its effectiveness and use it towards other causes.
No more marching.
Withhold the dollars.

Kevin Hart Donates $250K To Struggling

Kevin Hart, a proud Philadelphia native, is giving back to the city that raised him in the best way possible. After hearing of the financial crisis plaguing the City of Brotherly Love’s school district, the comedian decided to pony up $250K of his own money to support. Hart made the announcement via a video on Instagram. “Philadelphia, aka the city of brotherly love,” he began in the clip. “I just heard about all the trouble the school district is going through. So I took it upon myself to take $250,000 and put it in the school system to buy new computers. Not because somebody told me to, because I love you, and I put on for my city.”
Additionally, Hart tagged a heartfelt caption with the vid. “My city made me who I am today and for that I am thankful. I will make it my priority to help my city get out of this debt. PHILLY UNTIL I DIE,” read a portion of the message.”
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter thanked Hart for his philanthropic contribution in a [URL='http://cityofphiladelphia.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/city-of-philadelphia-school-district-of-philadelphia-to-receive-donation-from-kevin-hart-2/']statement
, saying “I want to thank Kevin Hart for his incredibly generous gift to our schools, recreation centers and citizens of all ages. These computers will have a very meaningful impact on Philadelphia.” For context, over the summer, Philly closed 24 schools, laid off thousands of employees (including teachers, counselors, vice principals, and the like), and cut numerous extra curricular programs.
article by Chris Thomas via hiphopwired.com
[/URL]

All while billions go to fund the war on terror.
My heart swells with happiness knowing Hart did this.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back