Black Women : PHAT GIRLZ

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Omowale Jabali, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I know that folks have a problem with Black women who they view as being representative of a white standard of beauty in the media. However, does Mo'nique, who seems to be on a crusade, truly represent what BLACK WOMEN are all about?

I find it interesting the usage of this term "PHAT" as hip lingo, much has been popularized within "hip hop culture" with the fashion consciousness marketing by designer labels such as "PHAT FARM".

The irony is that the "label" is owned and marketed by Kimora lee Simmons who epitomizes the same "standard of beauty" that is opposite Mo'Nique!

:confused:

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    omowalejabli

No,she just made a movie and is getting $$$$$ for it along with media attention.

I personally think that some girls are "thick" and others are "thicker":donttell: . Not fat or "phat."

3. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I like that I-khan

I saw the movie as a woman who has been battleing her weight with tears,ridacule and judgement daily this movie touched my heart.
    I don't exspect those who have never been fat to understand.
    It is a cruel world out here when your appearance does not fit the outside worlds perception of beauty.
    I have had many heartbreaks with men,women,family,society as a whole.
    Now at a size 14 I am trying hard to be comfortable with me.
    I am surrounded by thin family members and friends and magazines with perfect sized women.
    I see and know women who have had gastric bypass surgery,lipo suction,tummy tucks,killing themselves in the gym just to be acceptable to most! What monique is trying to do is heal herself from the same images I have explained above.She also trying to reach out to fat women and men to let them know that I am fat and I am here!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The vast majority of the board is trying to lose weight or want their potential mates to be fit or slender.
    This one of the main reasons why fat people cry in the dark!

4. CREOLEQUEEN

CREOLEQUEEN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Big brothas.... We love Ya

First let me say that I have sat in the wings and admired this forum and all here for some time. I am humbled in the presence of your creative, experssive and humorous minds. I am inspired, highly. Love,honor,respect and admiration for all here.

Brotha Omowalejabali: Congrats on winning your battle. Keep fighting, I am fighting with and for ya! I am one of those "thicker" sistas. 14 on a good day 12 on a better one!!! For what it's worth, I happen to admire my brothers with a little more to offer. I think you all make Morris Chestnutt look like Jermaine Dupri(without the $$$ and bling). Give me Dave Hollister, Tavis Smiley, or Gerald Levertt any day. Big brothas I am in your corner and Lovin Ya!

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    me myself...i look at it like this...there is somebody out there for everyone...
    people have different things that they are looking for in a mate and thas what makes this world the way it is....

i just don't like the sterotye of our larger sisters chasing men and being loose, i see this too much in the movies nowdays...just because you are big does not mean that you have to be a ho...thas my 2 cents for what it's worth...

one love
    khasm

6. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    lol. With you avatar and all, when I read it I imagined it coming from Paul Mooney. Agreed

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    welcome to the house madame.

8. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31

I recall you saying that you have pcos, just as my girlfriend does. My heart goes out to you. I know it is quite difficult to deal with since it is not your fault you gained the weight (size 14 can still be hotter than size 6 by the way). however, Monique has never publicly admitted to having pcos. As far as we know, she got fat from eating too much of the wrong things along with an inactive lifestyle. Let's get real here, the woman made herself that way, and now she's on some form of fat women are beautiful and skinny women are evil campaign. she only promotes a very unhealthy lifestyle and then says to the rest of us that we are the ones that should change how we feel instead of getting off of her duff and excersing. You're **** right most men are attracted to women with an hour glass or pear shape as opposed to a woman shaped like a beach ball.That's social as well as biological. My advice to Monique, put the whole slab of ribs away and EAT MORE SALADS!!!

That's my "BIG" opinion.

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Perhaps you have to be a woman...

I don't really care for some of the roles Monique chooses, but on the same token I think the movie "Phat Girlz" is a step in a right direction in getting women to love themselves whether or not they fit the media image. I haven't seen it yet, but from the commrecials she tells the story of the tribulations of both fat women and a 'skinny' woman in terms of accepting who they are.

Truth be told, most women are on a dieting crusade at some point in their lives, whether they are shaped like a "beach ball" or like a "pear." For example, when I was 13, I started dieting thinking I was 'fat'... I also hated the lower half of my body, the big thighs, hips and butt. Most women are taught that if you don't look like what is on T.V. and in the magazines, you are inferior. Men don't go through this. There are the body builders and what not, but how many women give their men an ultimatum... if you don't look like so and so body builder, I'm not going to love you and I'll divorce you? How many women say men that don't have body builder figures must be lazy and don't care for themselves because they won't put the effort necessary to achieve that? How many women publically disdain men that don't look like body-builders?

But anyway, people on the boards have said why don't fat women do something to change their image... well, here you go. But even when they do, they're still not taken seriously because people are too busy judging the FAT and not the overall message, which is LOVING YOURSELF. A man can be listened to whether he's a body builder, fat, scrawny or average... but a woman only gets listened to if she is a size 6.

10. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    hmmm....

You're right, she doesn't have the right to ridicule "skinny women" just to boost big women's self-esteem. That would make her a hypocrite. There are thin women who have to pay thousands to mold themselves a shapely body, whereas a big woman can just shed pounds naturally and acheive an hourglas figure, Basically a big woman has an advantage, Did Monique ever speak on that?