Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Persuing a career in Hair Braiding

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by VirgoMistress, Jun 16, 2006.

1. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    I am currently trying to pursue a career in hair braiding and have been coming across a lot of stumbling blocks. I was wondering if there are any licensed hair braiders in our community.
    I have been braiding hair for over 12 years now and I currently work for the state in the administration field. I feel so out of place in corporate america, and recently decided to pursue my "dream". I live in Baton Rouge but I am from San Diego and recently had the opportunity to obtain my braiding license through apprenticeship in San Diego. I had a salon sponsoring me to obtain my apprenticeship license as well as the 1,000 hour course. Well I am not able to take advantage of that offer due to child custody issues (shared custody from week to week). I didn't want to give up so I have been trying to find ways of getting my license out here in Baton Rouge, LA. Well I haven't had any luck; I have been turned away with no information, leaving me to find the answers to my questions unanswered. It is so frustrating. To make a long story short. I finally got a little information on what I need to do to get the license. There are no schools at the time who offer the course so that would leave apprenticeship through the barber board the only option. But the catch right now is, there are no Master Barbers at the time that is willing to take on apprentices (sp). At this time there seems to be a shortage of people willing to help and be of service. This has discouraged me deeply.
    I still need a sponsor and I have no idea how to even go about looking for that, since my quest for information has been tiring. So if anybody has any advice or anything can you please help a sista out.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm going to move this to the sister's forum, it might get more responses there.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

Sister VirgoMistress ... i am not a licensed hair braider, but i remember Brother Aqil sharing this story with us, Regulating Braids and Cornrows. I'm sorry that you are running into so many obstacles. It seems they were put there to intentionally hinder your progress. Stay forever encouraged Sister!

I hope others can give you more helpful information.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sister Virgo I wish I knew how to help you. I'm sure whatever is meant to happen will eventually, and in time, the answers will come to the questions you are asking. I would suspect that Baton Rouge is a lot different than San Diego so things might move a little slower there. Don't give up.

Queenie :heart:

5. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    Thank You guys so much, give me a hug :grouphug:
    I appreciate the encouragement it really does help.
    Thank you Sis Destee for the post by Aquil, it helped to see that I am not going through this alone.