Black Christians : Personal Responsibility as Christians

NyneElementz

Apr 6, 2006
Myrtle Beach, SC
To be clear, I want to discuss whether or not we believe that our cisrumstances, friendships, relationships, etc., are a result of things beyond our control or things that we have the authority to control.

Though not the result of a pleasant conversation in another thread, Enejoh did bring up some words that caused me to think of bringing up this discussion:

"its never my thoughts that i have no control or power over my resources, white supremacy is never my thoughts or inaction"

I'm not debating that the idea of white supremacy does not exist, because we all know that the idea exists and so does the reality of facing racism because of it. But do we have to accept those ideas as black Christians. I would argue that we do not.

My basis for this? Genesis 1:26,28.

We were given the authority to determine where we want to go, how we want to get there, and to determine what price we are willing to pay to get there in terms of our efforts.

Control of resources comes as a result of acquisition, and once that is accomplished, you have control over them. That's on an individual level, but as an individual, you can only go so far; not because the white man said so, but because you can only handle so much by yourself. Two events in our history show that if united, we can indeed control resources without the permission of those who hate us: Black Wall Street (OK) and Little Haiti (NC). These events relate directly to financial control and they both were accomplished by black people. Best of all, these events are duplicatable. Little Haiti, specifically relates to us, because it was accomplished by Black Christians. Neither White supremacy or lack of control over resources hindered their accomplishment of creating Little Haiti. But the efforts were not continued once bigots had shown their envy, jealousy, and bitterness over our success. Keep in mind that Black Christians did this, and they did it using financial principles laid out in the Bible.

Based on these historical facts, I do believe that control over resources is possible, that being prosperous is possible in all life areas - even with bigotry all around us. White Supremacy is simply an idea, like the idea of losing; one that we ourselves do not have to accept as a dominating idea.

What are your thoughts?

dunwiddat

Sep 17, 2012
To be clear, I want to discuss whether or not we believe that our cisrumstances, friendships, relationships, etc., are a result of things beyond our control or things that we have the authority to control.

Though not the result of a pleasant conversation in another thread, Enejoh did bring up some words that caused me to think of bringing up this discussion:

"its never my thoughts that i have no control or power over my resources, white supremacy is never my thoughts or inaction"

I'm not debating that the idea of white supremacy does not exist, because we all know that the idea exists and so does the reality of facing racism because of it. But do we have to accept those ideas as black Christians. I would argue that we do not.

My basis for this? Genesis 1:26,28.

We were given the authority to determine where we want to go, how we want to get there, and to determine what price we are willing to pay to get there in terms of our efforts.

Control of resources comes as a result of acquisition, and once that is accomplished, you have control over them. That's on an individual level, but as an individual, you can only go so far; not because the white man said so, but because you can only handle so much by yourself. Two events in our history show that if united, we can indeed control resources without the permission of those who hate us: Black Wall Street (OK) and Little Haiti (NC). These events relate directly to financial control and they both were accomplished by black people. Best of all, these events are duplicatable. Little Haiti, specifically relates to us, because it was accomplished by Black Christians. Neither White supremacy or lack of control over resources hindered their accomplishment of creating Little Haiti. But the efforts were not continued once bigots had shown their envy, jealousy, and bitterness over our success. Keep in mind that Black Christians did this, and they did it using financial principles laid out in the Bible.

Based on these historical facts, I do believe that control over resources is possible, that being prosperous is possible in all life areas - even with bigotry all around us. White Supremacy is simply an idea, like the idea of losing; one that we ourselves do not have to accept as a dominating idea.

What are your thoughts?

When we buckle under pressure we cannot achieve. My mother always said to me..Persistence never fails. I believe black folks can allow racism to become a stumbling block but it does not have to be that way. White folks do not have a monopoly on God..noone does. I have seen God work in my life.

As black people we must have a vision, and set goals. We might not have vast resources...but we do not have to...we can start small and it will grow...There are many blacks who saw racism as a stumbling block in their way BUT they REFUSED to allow it to stop them. What I think is missing in us is DISCIPLINE. We have the ability to get things done but we are too timid. Risk is part of life...as a people we must harness our resources together and make them work. Today we see the bank as another slave owner, credit card debt etc. We must resolve that we will buy what is necessary. The impulse buying must stop. We must be willing to buy from our own what we can see that the quality is good. Our only resource is our people. We have educated people in our midst..we must come together and begin to forge a way forward ourselves.
Trust is important...we have been conditioned to be distrustful of each other and this must stop. Anything that is worthwhile does not come easy.

NyneElementz

Apr 6, 2006
Myrtle Beach, SC
I agree. We do lack discipline. I am guilty of this myself at times. And I agree that we do not have to let racism be our stumbling block. I tend to think that is what self-determination is really about: being willing to admit to ourselves what we want, be willing to learn what it will take to make it happen, being willing to take the risks to make things happen, to be aware of all of our resources, and to put in the effort to accomplish what we want.

I am learning to set goals, something I was never taught to do, but am learning and applying. And since I started on my personal journey of following the godly vision I have, suddenly few things are out of reach. The distance is simply the discipline required.

Rewiring ourselves is crucial because until we can trust each other to act with integrity on a larger scale, unity in large numbers will prove difficult. Btw, I'm also learning to start small, something my pastor taught us today. And deciding habits that we will change is key too, I think.

I know it will not be easy, but I believe that we can get things done as a people.

NyneElementz

Apr 6, 2006
Myrtle Beach, SC
When we buckle under pressure we cannot achieve. My mother always said to me..Persistence never fails. I believe black folks can allow racism to become a stumbling block but it does not have to be that way. White folks do not have a monopoly on God..noone does. I have seen God work in my life.

As black people we must have a vision, and set goals. We might not have vast resources...but we do not have to...we can start small and it will grow...There are many blacks who saw racism as a stumbling block in their way BUT they REFUSED to allow it to stop them. What I think is missing in us is DISCIPLINE. We have the ability to get things done but we are too timid. Risk is part of life...as a people we must harness our resources together and make them work. Today we see the bank as another slave owner, credit card debt etc. We must resolve that we will buy what is necessary. The impulse buying must stop. We must be willing to buy from our own what we can see that the quality is good. Our only resource is our people. We have educated people in our midst..we must come together and begin to forge a way forward ourselves.
Trust is important...we have been conditioned to be distrustful of each other and this must stop. Anything that is worthwhile does not come easy.

I think the main thing we must overcome is the image of ourselves that had been programmed into us since the 4th grade. We were taught that we had no significant contributions - we're just property. We have to get beyond this view of ourselves, because that view is psychologically crippling.

We know from history and the mere connotation of the word 'property' that property cannot do anything, and that's the outlook a lot of us have. We don't take risks, we have a negative thought filter about every new idea or set of helpful information, and we almost automatically are willing to tear down anyone who does not think like we do.

I think we have to change our view of ourselves before we can do anything outwardly. Jerimiah 29:11, one of my favorite bible verses says that God has plans to make me prosper, to give me a hope and a future. Considering all the negative input I've gotten from so many, that verse gives me hope. And I look at new ideas and solid plans with that hope. Hope is what drove many of those before us, the hope of something better. We cannot let that hope and positivity die if we are going to make progress, individually and collectively.

dunwiddat

Sep 17, 2012
I think the main thing we must overcome is the image of ourselves that had been programmed into us since the 4th grade. We were taught that we had no significant contributions - we're just property. We have to get beyond this view of ourselves, because that view is psychologically crippling.

We know from history and the mere connotation of the word 'property' that property cannot do anything, and that's the outlook a lot of us have. We don't take risks, we have a negative thought filter about every new idea or set of helpful information, and we almost automatically are willing to tear down anyone who does not think like we do.

I think we have to change our view of ourselves before we can do anything outwardly. Jerimiah 29:11, one of my favorite bible verses says that God has plans to make me prosper, to give me a hope and a future. Considering all the negative input I've gotten from so many, that verse gives me hope. And I look at new ideas and solid plans with that hope. Hope is what drove many of those before us, the hope of something better. We cannot let that hope and positivity die if we are going to make progress, individually and collectively.

Jerimiah 29:11 This is one of my favourite verses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
One-Hundredd Black Education / Schools : Self-Help and Self-Education sites for personal research Black Education / Schools 2
C Black People : Why, Is A Very Probing And Personal Question? Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Computers - Software Hardware : How To Wipe a Computer of All Your Personal Data Science and Technology 2
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : If I said ... That I had a personal in person talk with God ... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 23
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Employee given CEO's personal car after leaving at midnight to walk 20 miles to first day at work Black People Doing Positive Things 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Loukas: Place and Personal names in ancient Times AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African-Americans uncover personal history through DNA African American History Culture 3
G Black People Politics : What determine our future: White Supremacy or Personal Choice? Black People Politics 35
Perfection Black Spirituality Religion : ✳Reasons Why Black Women Should Have a Personal Altar Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
skuderjaymes Black People : Pentagon to relax rules on personal religious wear — including beards, turbans Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : ANONYMOUS STARTS EXPOSING KLAN PERSONAL INFO Black People Open Forum 20
Barry Irving Black People : Is personal opinion and ideology getting in the way of progress / unity? Black People Open Forum 1
Liberty Black Entertainment : Watch: Cicely Tyson Looks Back on Her Professional and Personal Life in CBS Profile Black Entertainment 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : To myself and others/not personal Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
chuck Black People : Don't Let It Get Personal: When It's Political! Black People Open Forum 0
Perfection Black Spirituality Religion : Medinet Habu Temple (in Kemet): Personal Footage Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Perfection Black Spirituality Religion : Personal Footage: See Black Women in stone Kemetic Temple Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 24
legit-writer Black People : Kids Having a Personal Day Black People Open Forum 7
legit-writer Law Forum : Advantages / Disadvantages of Personal Injury Action vs Worker's Compensation Claim Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 7
chuck Black Spirituality Religion : As Regards Our Personal Religous Convictions: Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Secunia: Personal Software Inspector (PSI) Science and Technology 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : NBA player has personal ATM Black Sports 2
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : I'm yo personal "SANTA" Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : [How to] Teach Your Kids about Personal Finance Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : My personal friend J Charles singing at Hard Rock Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Indigo Blues Black Women : "No Woman, No Cry,” the personal stories of 4 pregnant women and their caregivers Black Women 0
Ankhur Black People : Internet Focus; Personal vs Collective Black People Open Forum 3
L Black Spirituality Religion : Sharing my own personal experience Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Should Religious Belief Be A Sanctuary Of Personal privilege and Safety? Chief Elder Osiris 0
S Personal Apology to Destee / Moderators Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 2
Ankhur Personal threats constant harassment Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 2
Ankhur Personal Attacks and Harrassment from Awo Dino Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 10
Destee Black People : Personal Choice Patrol Team Black People Open Forum 2
cherryblossom Black Education / Schools : Affirmations and Creeds For Personal Success Black Education / Schools 2
S Black Relationships : OKAY! What would your personal AD say? Black Relationships 4
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Do You Seek Personal or Collective Returns ? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17
brown_h0rnet Destee Network : Personal Finance Articles Destee Network : 2
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : CONSTRUCTING YOUR PERSONAL "TALISMAN" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 19
S Black People : "It didn't feel like Mother Nature. It felt personal." Black People Open Forum 1
S Black Poetry : personal letter no. 9 (forhim)/VaniOku#2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
S Black Poetry : personal letter no. 7 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
S Black Poetry : personal letter no. 8 (tohimw/theredhatandbeaut.eyes) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
S Black Poetry : Personal Letter No. 6/Oku #1 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
S Quiet Poetry Lounge : Personal Letter No. 4 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
S Black Poetry : Personal Letter No. 5 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
S Destee Network : Personal, Relationship and Life Coaching Destee Network : 0
C Black People : Personal empowerment=Black empowerment + Community empowerment Black People Open Forum 2
legit-writer Black Relationships : Personal Space Black Relationships 21
S Black Spirituality Religion : No personal attacks will be tolerated. .... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
C Black Relationships : Personal Privacy in Relationships? Black Relationships 35