Meat Recipe : Perfect Roast Chicken

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by largo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    This is so yummy and so easy.

You will need to get:

1 4 lb chicken
    4 cups butter milk
    2 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt or 1 1/2 Tbsp table salt
    2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
    1/2 Tbsp black pepper fresh cracked if you have it.
    Add these to taste;
    hot sauce, worestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, sage, and sweet paprika. Or whatever seasoning you prefer to use on your chicken.

You will need to do:

1 - Add all of this to a bowl and stir until well mixed.

You will also need Carrots, potatoes, 1 sweet onion and 1/4 stick or so of melted butter, extra virgin olive oil for your roasting pan later.

2 - Wash and pat dry your chicken and place in an oven bag or a large bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken and coat well inside and out. Close up the bag or put a lid on the bowl and refrigerate for at least three hours. Can go up to 8 hours.

3 - 3 hours later, preheat your oven to 450 degree F.

4 - In your roasting pan place some chopped carrots, potatoes, and onions (chop big chunks). Drizzle with olive oil and lightly salt and pepper.

5 - Now rinse your chicken under cool water very, very well. You want to remove all of the brine mixture.

6 - Pat your chicken dry and place in your roasting pan on top of the veggies breast side up. Rub a little vinegar on the chicken, the melted butter, what ever herbs you like to use, and salt and pepper to taste.

If you like, you can also stuff the cavity with half a lemon, some chopped onion, garlic cloves, some herbs, and an apple or whatever you like.

7 - Truss just the legs together, tuck the wings under the body and bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Let rest about 20 minutes before serving. Continue to cook the veggies while the chicken rests to caramelize them.

Note: Do use the seasonings you like and you do not have to brine your chicken first. But, I highly recommend it.

2. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    Much thanks for this recipe....

:toast:

I planned to roast two chickens for new years, and I have everything that you've listed as ingredients in the kitchen now, so I'll give this recipe a shot with one of my roasters. Thanks again.

One Love, and PEACE

3. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    I hope you like it. The longer you let it brine the better.

4. Pandev

Pandev New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds delicious to me . . . :)
    Surely gonna give it a try to the very next weekend.