Black People : Percent Drops from 23% to below 14% - HALF

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by HODEE, Mar 8, 2005.

1. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    http://start.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20050308/422d3150_3ca6_1552620050308-613976894

Army: Young Blacks Less Willing to Join

March 08, 2005 7:50 AM EST

WASHINGTON - Young blacks have grown markedly less willing to join the Army, citing fear of being sent to fight a war in Iraq they don't believe in, according to unpublicized studies for the military that suggest the Army is entering a prolonged recruiting slump.
    ============
    If you look at the job banks, Monster for instance. The jobs offered are in the military. The money promised, or found to send a military individual to school, is the same money that should be used for citizens here in America. America is far behind in the education arena. India and parts of Europe place more into growing the technical expertise of its citizens. I think in general blacks are tired of being sent to war, treated like second class citizens and it's about time.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This can be summed up in one sentence: Black Youth are not stupid! Why would the government be surprised enrollment drops during a War, particularly a war without a purpose, created under false pretenses!

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Good, it should drop even lower IMO because no mater what...we don't need to fight a war for America. It's not in our interest no matter what war it is. Good for us. :great:

4. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23

Then no more whinning about why the US army won't stop the genicide in countries in Africa. WHY whould the white american military care what happens there??

5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, like they're going to anyways. U.S. doesn't do anything to help anyone anyways. If they had an interest in Africa they'd be there with the quickness. It's not like they're in Iraq for the Iraqi people. Black people should start joining and dying for the army when white people start leveling the playing field in all other areas and start appreciating us here in America. Until then, we need not shed blood for people that think we're inferior than them. That goes for any minorities in this country...not just black folks. They look down on everyone until they need them to go die for the sake of this racist country.

But you go ahead and enlist. You're not looked upon as equal now, just wait til you come back missing limbs along with being brain damaged and traumatized by a senseless war.

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    The only way to change things is to get involved. Sitting at home complainging isn't going to change anything. Get involved, go into politics, advance in the military. It's not unheard of look at Gen. Colin Powel. He might have run for President if his wife wasn't against it. We need to stop labeling people as sellouts when they get involved.

You know Kente, I like alot of what you post. But I do believe the military is a way out of poverty for many people.

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree with getting involved, but the military soildier is nothing more than a yes man with a gun. Everything else we need to have a hand in..politics, community and everything else that doesn't require us to die in the process. What good is having black men/ women in the military? So that one man can point them into the direction of the "so called" enemy? I agree, we need representation in a lot of areas, but mainly in the areas that will keep us out of senseless wars like the one we're in now. We don't need poor black men/ women thinking that the military is a way out. That's what they want us to think. IMO, Colin Powell is not someone I'd want my kids to look up to. Condoleeza Rice isn't a role-model IMO. Yeah, they worked hard to get where they're at, but that doesn't make them honorable....it makes them driven. This country works a lot more for the white man/ woman than it does for any other ehtnicity, so they have more to lose, so they need to be the ones fighting the hardest. When we can truly feel like this country is "home" for us and other ehtnicities, then I'll agree with minorities joining the military.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Speaking as a youth who was bound to join the Army in 2003, I changed my decision for a reason. I changed my decision because I did not feel comfortable dying for someone (Bush) who could care less about my continent (Africa), my family, and other brothers like myself. Amerikkka ONLY appreciates us as long as we run, jump, shoot, box, and entertain to their perfection. Whether you like it or not people, Amerikkka does not like us as a people, especially young black men. They will do nothing to help us stay out of trouble. They want to shut down our HBCU's, keep our Black College teams at the bottom, and mold us into their image; That is why I refuse to attend any school that is NOT an HBCU. I guarantee you that when the numbers drop for athletes playing for Amerikkka, they're REALLY gonna know they done did something. :toast: to my brothas and sistahs who are making good decisions.

CD

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    They obviously don't!

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

What is your definition of a sellout, you seem a little sensitive to that word