Pepsi's Bottled Water same as Tap

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Destee, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    It's aqua, but is it fina? Pepsi's bottled water same as tap

Saturday, July 28, 2007

By VINNEE TONG
    The Associated Press

PepsiCo's Aquafina and Coca-Cola's Dasani are under pressure to make the bottled-water labels more clear.

So you thought that water in your Aquafina bottle came from some far-away spring bubbling deep in a glen?

Try the same place as the water in your tap.

PepsiCo is the latest company to offer some clarity about the source of its top-selling bottled water as it announced on Friday it would change the label on Aquafina water bottles to spell out that the drink comes from the same source as tap water.

Aquafina is the single biggest bottled water brand, and its bottles are currently labeled "P.W.S." The new labels will spell out "public water source."

"We don't believe that consumers are confused about the source of Dasani water," said Coca-Cola spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante.

Wholesale sales of bottled water grew to $11 billion in 2006, according to Beverage Marketing, and the industry is expected to maintain growth rates of about 10 percent. The fastest-growing segment of the industry is sales of bottles of less than 1.5 liters, which includes the individual serving sizes sold in many convenience and grocery stores.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
  3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Ohhhh Brother KWABENA ... i didn't even see that ... thank you.

I'm wondering though, in light of that article ... what gives you confidence in Fiji?

:heart:

Destee

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    I am currently working mad hours at a local 7-11 for the summer, while trying to get through the texas educational system and land a decent paying teaching position.

I can tell you horror stories. Tonight will be my 12th day straight working on schedule and now dealing with new management. Other than ringing sales most of the work for organizing and stocking the vault ("cooler" is non other than myself. Since I also sign off on the orders when working night shift I also look out when the deliveries come in. This means I have become very familiar with specific products, especially with the manufacturers of "distilled water". I used to drink Aquafina but no more. I do drink Ozarka which is a different manufacturer than Pepsi and Coc0-Cola bottling.

Avian, Fiji, and a few others possibly are also tap water (notice how Avian has no taste at all) but I take my chance with them so long as they are not Coke/Pepsi TAP water. Considering the bottling process and the use of petrochemicals, I would be safer drinking local tap water from my fridge which has a purifier. I live next door to the pumping station so my source is healthier than others.

Not to get off-track but I have been talking about the contamination of our food supply for several months now. And trying my best to eliminate certain foods, mostly meat (this includes turkey, chicken and most fish except tuna and salmon). The contamination of the food supply which affected the pet food, now has developed into a larger recall due to botulism.

Some of these "fast-food" places, and convenience stores have all kinds of problems with refrigeration. And one of the things with the chili is perhaps something in the manufacturing process used product which either thawed or was not prepared at the right temperature.

I recently had a bad intestinal product and started detoxing, which means drinking more water. A lot more fluids period to flush the system.

What I suggest is folks eat out less and perpare your own food more. This means also buying GLASS JARS and BOILING your tap water, then keeping it in refrigeration, if you have to buy a seperate fridge, as I have done. At least this way you KNOW your water will be free from bacteria.

Back in the days my grandMA used to can fruits when they were in season. I think thats why so many of my folks got diabetes being raised on that canned food which was heavy in salt and sugar. But its different with water. Mix it with some lime or lemon and a little beer salt and it should make for a much healthier drink than what you presently are buying.

I would also say the same in regards to buying Lipton and other bottled tea products. Brew your own tea, make your own leamonade fresh, and store it yourself.

Hotep!

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...To be honest, not much, but there must be a reason for the High cost(s)...LOL

Oh, and in retrospect, I do not have confidence in any brand of Water here in the country. There is a long process that takes place between bottling/packaging the Water, putting it on the ships, then sending it overseas to be placed on shelves. That is all the more reason to investigate, and find out which is best.

MK

6. MarchoftheLions

MarchoftheLions Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I used to be an avid drinker of Evian. I remember it having a mineral taste...more so than other waters. However, the last few times that I drank a bottle...it was fairly bland.

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    (Brotha Omo concludes his post by saying, "Any questions?")
    (Bro. Kwabena steps up and says, "Yes, I have a question - well, actually two"...hehe)

1) In regards to what you have stated insofar as using the Glass Jars for [boiled] Water, for how long should we re-use it? In other words, does there come a time when the glass should not be refilled anymore?

2) I too have been considering staying with Tuna Fish. However, much of the Tuna is canned, and I read where canned Tuna Fish is losing its quality. Are there any alternatives, or other ways how can I locate healthier Tuna Fish?

(Bro. Kwabena takes his seat)

MK

8. luvmyppl

luvmyppl Member MEMBER

Support Service Analyst
    Ratings:
    +3
    im a little lost...

I am not shocked that Aquafina and Dasani's water sources are tap. I thought that's where most of these companies got their water. Think about it, we're experiencing a lot of change on earth due to global warming and all sorts of crazy things are happening to this planet. I just failed to believe that these corporations are going to find the mountains with the springs like on their bottles. I really felt like it was a conspiracy from the beginning. For me, the whole idea of buying bottled water is a convenience issue. The same reason we buy sliced bread instead of making our own. Or buying tortilla chips when we could just fry some cut up tortilla shells. I mean we could go on forever but there are only 24 hours in a day. So I'm not shocked as I said before. Like the rest of these huge corporations, they're just pimpin us. Might as well get used to it...

9. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    Think about it......what is "Evian" spelt backwards???!!!!

This is strange, way back in 2004 this story broke in England and Pepsi took the brand off theshelf due to negative publicity but overe there in the US they seem to have got away with it!!???

Dasani might have had a disastrous UK launch in 2004 (it was revealed that its plain water product was bottled tap water - from Sidcup - and that it had traces of a potential carcinogen in it), but in the US Dasani is a leading brand, and Coca-Cola is keen to increase its share of the flavoured water market.

10. Sha'iyn

Sha'iyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    construction
    i live in TushKauLoosa Ali Baba or Tuscaloosa, Ala
    Ratings:
    +9
    waterboy

Perrier is some high-quality H2O. The more complicated the bottle and the source, the better the purity of the water. If they don't have the source listed, it might well be tapped water containing high amounts of flourine and other chemicals. To combat these chemicals you can boil or add bonding iodes to your water. Try VOX, Miracle distributors and the "new wave"... oxygenated water!!!