Science and Technology : PC Problems? Let's Help Each Other

anAfrican

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
There are a few folks mentioning that they are having computer problems. OK, granted; if your computer ain't working right, it gets tricky getting here sometimes. But sometimes there are workarounds like work or libraries or internet cafes.

Maybe sharing the problem you have might help somebody else avoid the same. Or, while discussing the problem(s), somebody will have encountered the same problem or is encountering the same problem to a greater, equal or lesser extent.

While it is usually helpful to speak to something "using the proper terminology", using highly technical terms like "thingie" works just fine ... eventually. <g> Please don't feel like you have to suffer under something because you are concerned that you might not sound as knowledgable as someone else. After all; "the only stupid question is the one not asked", right?

Ain't no sense in having that thing sitting around your home acting like a door-stop or paper holder when you could be using it to surf from where you can be comfortable.

Let's see if we can grow a "Destee Family Tech Support Team", or something helpful like that, and save a buck or two.

"using highly technical terms like "thingie" works just fine" - i loved that line.

what a gr8 idea! who here, xcept glad & manasiac hvn't xperienced tech problems w their pc's? we had a sister n chat who's pc wuz so old, she nicknamed it 'DINO'. i kinda miss dino, & the sister who use 2 b n chat when dino permitted.

can i ask a ? could this also b a place where we mention software/hardware which has proven particularly helpful to us? or, shld that b another thread?

i mention that b/c i'm thinking how helpful it could b 2 the destee community (since it's so large now, & growing) 2 kno about software, shareware, & free dwnloads which r actually useful, as well as those that turn out 2b useless.

since u started the thread, what do u think?

anyway, :weights: move on ur part 4 starting this thread.

:spin:

Alkebulan said:
can i ask a ? could this also b a place where we mention software/hardware which has proven particularly helpful to us? or, shld that b another thread?

i mention that b/c i'm thinking how helpful it could b 2 the destee community (since it's so large now, & growing) 2 kno about software, shareware, & free dwnloads which r actually useful, as well as those that turn out 2b useless.

since u started the thread, what do u think?
:idea: I think that would be a great idea! And I think that that would be a great topic for another thread. It might even turn into a couple more: one for good tech and one for bad tech? Or should that be one for hardware and one for software?

But about them downloads; gotta be careful that they aren't :danger: contaminated :danger: with malware (spyware, adware, keyloggers, virii, trojans, rootkits, blah, blah, !dangerwillrobinson!). Wouldn't want folks to come down with something from a recommendation found here. :nono: Wouldn't quite fit the family-type spirit ... although sometimes that "sibling rivalry" stuff can get pretty intense! But not online 'cause that could possibly be grounds for legal action, not to mention potential damage to the Family Reputation!

jamesfrmphilly said:
this guy wants $150 to down load all the stuff off a hard drive and reformat it.
is that too much?
does "reformat the drive" include re-installing windows, the drivers and all your applications? do you still have the installation media for the applications you want to put back on it? and the installation media for the peripherals? (video, sound, motherboard, possibly monitor.) if you are talking reinstalling everything after reformatting, then that would be fairly reasonable, given that there may be a necessity to hunt down some drivers.

is it worth 150 to you? you can get pretty close to 100 gig hardrive for that kinda money. or a cd-burner for less and then burn what you want to cd and reformat the drive yourself. heck, one could get a dvd burner for less than 150, i'm pretty sure. a cd will hold around 700 meg and a dvd will hold about 4.7 gig. how much data are you trying to back-up?

i reckon shops are chargin something like 50, 75 or more per hour for shop time (it's prolly more back east, tho). (i'm in wa state) i reckon that could be fairly "reasonable", but i'd say that it's about your comfort level; if you're more comfortable letting someone else do it, talk `em around to a price that's comfortable to you.

i've always been a do-it-yourselfer. guess it's something i got from my dad: i'll just dive in and try to figure it out for myself, if it's "broke" already, i can't mess it up much. and if i can't figure out how to fix it, at least i know enough about it to be able to tell if it got "fixed" well enough to have to keep going back to the shop! <shrug>

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back