Black People : Paying homage to some scholars who had an impact on my life

Jahari Kavi

Feb 12, 2008
Houston, Texas
Occupation
Self Development
Seeing Jan Carew mentioned in a thread reminded me of my time in grad school and having the opportunity to meet Jan and Dr. Blaine Hudson. Both men were brilliant and I always regret not getting the opportunity to tell them how they impacted my life as a a young Black man. Although I was familiar with Van Sertima, Rashidi, and Jose Pimienta Bey entering into Graduate school, I had no idea the role Jan Carew played in their lives until our department hosted an event honoring the late Van Sertima. Van Sertima's wife, Rashidi, and Pimienta Bey had nothing but great things to say about Jan's work and his mentorship. That evening was one I will never forget. Getting the chance to sit and eat dinner with Jan Carew, Runoko, and Pimienta Bey and having the opportunity to pick their minds was probably my most favorite moment of my graduate school experience. I never spent too much time with Jan, because at the age of 90 he was in no condition to teach, but my cohorts who got to work with him would always tell me about his stories of how he used to run with Dubois and pick up women (lol) or the time he spent with Malcolm in his final days. He also would always take the time to provide my cohorts with lists of reading material that they would not get in the walls of a classroom or maybe even in the United States.

I did get the opportunity of taking some graduate classes with Dr. Hudson on African enslavement and education. Sitting in class I always marveled at just how intelligent the man was. To this day I still say that I have never met a more intelligent human being who knew a whole lot about everything. Word is when he was younger he would always read two books a week in addition to being a graduate student, a father, and a activist. Like Jan he would also provide the class with mandatory reading, in addition to a long list of books for us to pick up on our own time. Dr. Hudson always made me realize the importance of reading and being well versed in various fields. He let me know in my exit exam how some scholars make the mistake of writing about areas that they know very little about and how I should not make the same mistake in my future endeavors. He also played a big role in helping me graduate on time (shout out to Dr. Jones on that tip also lol) and helping me shape my ideas for research on the Black Church for my exit exam.

These giants were no arm chair scholars either. Both were on the front lines for their people. Jan was thrown in jail with Nkrumah and spent time with Che, Castro, Malcolm, Dubois, King, etc. Dr. Hudson was one of the many Black Students who fought to get Black Studies on college campuses. At one time he was kicked out of the University of Louisville only to return decades later to be named Dean of Arts and Sciences. He also believed in bringing information to the community by hosting Saturday Academies free of charge for anyone who wanted to attend. What I will miss most about Dean Hudson is that he cared about us as students and Black people. I remember sitting in his office one day, because I had some questions on what I should do with my future. At the time something was really bothering me and although I tried to mask it, Dr. Hudson saw right through it and genuinely asked me if everything was okay. I shrugged it off, because I'm not good at expressing myself emotionally, but deep down him simply asking meant a lot to me. The day I was informed of his passing really hurt me to the point of tears. I haven't really expressed these feelings before, but for some reason tonight I felt that it was necessary to pay respects to these two brothers who are ancestors in the truest sense. Rest in Power Jan Carew and Dr. Hudson. And rest in power to Dr. Clarence Talley who I never got a chance to take a class with, but who always gave me a smile and the Black man's nod when seeing me in the computer lab. He also encouraged me to follow my dream of looking further into Van Sertima's research about the Black presence in early America. Peace and brotherly love to all of you great men.

68801_10151136303135683_907875607_n.jpg

bildeCA52I3TR1.jpg

image_preview

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Black People : Black Paying Homage to the GREEKS Black People Open Forum 8
M Black Poetry : paying homage Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : DOJ warns against jailing poor people for not paying court fines Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
legit-writer Black People : Father Sentenced to 6 Months in Jail for Paying Too much Child Support Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Law Forum : MAN FACES JAIL TIME FOR PAYING TOO MUCH CHILD SUPPORT Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 23
W Black People : Can Anyone Explain how to create LLC or Business to use 4 renting properties/paying utility bills? Black People Open Forum 1
R Black People : Are white women and others paying for sex in the islands Black People Open Forum 15
Alarm Clock Black Money Business Jobs : Florida Black man foreclosed on inspite of paying not just on time but early Black Money Business Jobs 8
A Law Forum : Wow. They putting people in jail for not paying rent in Arkansas Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
legit-writer Black People : Going to Jail for not paying child support Black People Open Forum 80
Feather Computers - Software Hardware : Are You Paying For Internet Security? You Don't Have To... Science and Technology 30
Ankhur Black People : Corp. Hit Man! high paying job in declining economy Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Paying Taxes Snipes gets 3 years Black People Open Forum 4
G Black People : Paying Close attention to the Company we keep within & who we allow in ourSPACE. Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Church Of England Consider Paying Reparation For Slavery Chief Elder Osiris 1
luvmyppl Black Relationships : Are you paying attention in your relationship?! Black Relationships 4
P Black Education / Schools : 10 Best-Paying Jobs for Associate Degrees Black Education / Schools 6
info-moetry Black People : Tricking us into paying more for Oil.............. Black People Open Forum 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : PAYING TRIBUTE TO DESTEE.COM Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
Queenie Black Relationships : Paying Tribute to Black Women Black Relationships 9
1poetsought Black Poetry : Homage to My Homie Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
skuderjaymes Black Authors : Quote: Ralph Ellison.. Homage to W.L. Dawson. Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Mojubar: Giving homage and Pouring libation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
D Black Haiku : homage to zora Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Homage to the Black Man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
S Black Poetry : homage Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
N Black Poetry : Homage Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
T Black Poetry : just payin' homage (to our women) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : many scholars have insisted that the bible is entirely Egyptian AACOOLDRE 1
Liberty Black Positive People : Three African Americans Among the Top 10 Most Influential Scholars in Education Black People Doing Positive Things 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : why christian scholars refuse to ID 666 properly AACOOLDRE 0
TruthHitman Black Hebrew Israelites : The Reason White Scholars Lie On History Black Hebrew Israelites Study Group 0
Ra Nehem Black Spirituality Religion : Cartoon Scholars - Animaniacs and Animania Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
skuderjaymes Black People : Japan's Ancient Underwater "Pyramid" Mystifies Scholars Black People Open Forum 1
Asomfwaa Black Ancestors : 10 Black Scholars Who Debunked Eurocentric Propaganda Honoring Black Ancestors 1
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : 2 Of My Favorite Scholars On Blog Radio 4/5/2012 Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : Nubian Scholars Black Money Business Jobs 2
A Black Spirituality Religion : Bible Prophecies of Muhammad (part 1 of 4): Witnesses of Scholars Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 85
Ankhur Black People : What African Scholars have to say about the Ecology Black People Open Forum 3
C Black Spirituality Religion : Have Any Black Scholars Deciphered The Hieroglyphs? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Knowledge Seed Black People : ATTENTION BIBLICAL SCHOLARS Black People Open Forum 0
M Black Spirituality Religion : Scholars de wize. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
KWABENA Black People : RBG Street Scholars - A Must See... Black People Open Forum 1
C Black Education / Schools : Coca-Cola Scholars Scholarships -- Now Open Until 10/31/06 Black Education / Schools 0
C Black Education / Schools : Potential Class of 2007 -- John B. Ervin Scholars for WUSTL Black Education / Schools 0
D Pan-Africanism : Today's African-Americans are Creoles According To Scholars Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 4