Black People : Pay cut to save a coworker?

Josef

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 28, 2008
Occupation
Electrical wiring tech
If you had the option, would you give up 10% of your salary in return for saving the jobs of your co-workers? Or would you rather take a couple of unpaid furlough days a month? Or would it be better just to lay off 10% of the workforce?

In trying to close a budget gap, Los Angeles city officials are saying the proposed 4,000 layoffs could be avoided if all city employees took that cut, in which someone making $50,000 would see a drop to $45,000 -- no insignificant amount. Some people have also advocated furloughs as a way of avoiding either option, although the City Council worries about potential legal issues with that route.

http://www.google.com/search?q=woul...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

I personally would consider taking a paycut, but it seems you would have to look at quite a few variables, like how long will it be until your job too, is on the chopping block, it does sound fair looking out for others, I wonder though, on

sort of a separate issue but,

will doctors, surgeons, big pharma at any time follow suit in order to help with health care cost?

My guess is no.

I have heard of the many manufacturers that have closed shop and moved business out of the states, primarly for profit of course,

who goes into business to be upside down in profit and eventually go broke?

But in the case state workers, can unions be partly to blame? Do they want to much?:10500:

State's workers pay for furloughs program
Many are unable to make mortgage and car payments, and some face bankruptcy. Biden and Feinstein protest.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/30/local/me-furloughs30

It's an unprecedented and uncomfortable time for a state workforce long immune to the bumps and bruises of California's boom-and-bust economy. Pay for civil servants can be modest, but the trade-off had always been a stable income and a reliable retirement.

looks like

we all get hit....

If you had the option, would you give up 10% of your salary in return for saving the jobs of your co-workers? Or would you rather take a couple of unpaid furlough days a month? Or would it be better just to lay off 10% of the workforce?

In trying to close a budget gap, Los Angeles city officials are saying the proposed 4,000 layoffs could be avoided if all city employees took that cut, in which someone making $50,000 would see a drop to $45,000 -- no insignificant amount. Some people have also advocated furloughs as a way of avoiding either option, although the City Council worries about potential legal issues with that route.

http://www.google.com/search?q=woul...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

I personally would consider taking a paycut, but it seems you would have to look at quite a few variables, like how long will it be until your job too, is on the chopping block, it does sound fair looking out for others, I wonder though, on

sort of a separate issue but,

will doctors, surgeons, big pharma at any time follow suit in order to help with health care cost?

My guess is no.

I have heard of the many manufacturers that have closed shop and moved business out of the states, primarly for profit of course,

who goes into business to be upside down in profit and eventually go broke?

But in the case state workers, can unions be partly to blame? Do they want to much?:10500:

State's workers pay for furloughs program
Many are unable to make mortgage and car payments, and some face bankruptcy. Biden and Feinstein protest.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/30/local/me-furloughs30

It's an unprecedented and uncomfortable time for a state workforce long immune to the bumps and bruises of California's boom-and-bust economy. Pay for civil servants can be modest, but the trade-off had always been a stable income and a reliable retirement.

looks like

we all get hit....

If I had to choose between NO JOB and a $5,000 salary decrease, I'd take the CUT.

I'd rather tighten my budget, cut back, down-size some things than have no money coming in at all.

And, in the meantime, I'd be saving as much as I could and looking for another job.

Plus, finding some kinda side hustle to replace/supplement the lower paycheck would be smart too.

Who knows?....The "side hustle" might even turn into a profitable replacement for the job.

If I had to choose between NO JOB and a $5,000 salary decrease, I'd take the CUT.

I'd rather tighten my budget, cut back, down-size some things than have no money coming in at all.

And, in the meantime, I'd be saving as much as I could and looking for another job.

Plus, finding some kinda side hustle to replace/supplement the lower paycheck would be smart too.

Who knows?....The "side hustle" might even turn into a profitable replacement for the job.

excellent advice and approach:toast:

Thank you Bro Josef.

But, I would think this would be a "no-brainer" for most people.

"A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

Plus, although it is economically smart to save up at least 3 months of your monthly living expenses, MOST people don't have that kinda money in the bank.

MOST people live from check-to-check.

And that's why most of us are only 'bout 2 paychecks away from homelessness.

And when harder times hit with job losses and pay-cuts and tax & price increases, then the panic really sets in.

Many of us do live beyond our means and have expensive/costly excesses.

Many of us just don't save for that "rainy day;" and when the "rains" come, then, we're afraid we'll lose everything in the down-pour.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back