Black People : Pay cut to save a coworker?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Josef, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    If you had the option, would you give up 10% of your salary in return for saving the jobs of your co-workers? Or would you rather take a couple of unpaid furlough days a month? Or would it be better just to lay off 10% of the workforce?

In trying to close a budget gap, Los Angeles city officials are saying the proposed 4,000 layoffs could be avoided if all city employees took that cut, in which someone making $50,000 would see a drop to $45,000 -- no insignificant amount. Some people have also advocated furloughs as a way of avoiding either option, although the City Council worries about potential legal issues with that route.

http://www.google.com/search?q=woul...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

I personally would consider taking a paycut, but it seems you would have to look at quite a few variables, like how long will it be until your job too, is on the chopping block, it does sound fair looking out for others, I wonder though, on

sort of a separate issue but,

will doctors, surgeons, big pharma at any time follow suit in order to help with health care cost?

My guess is no.

I have heard of the many manufacturers that have closed shop and moved business out of the states, primarly for profit of course,

who goes into business to be upside down in profit and eventually go broke?

But in the case state workers, can unions be partly to blame? Do they want to much?:10500:

State's workers pay for furloughs program
    Many are unable to make mortgage and car payments, and some face bankruptcy. Biden and Feinstein protest.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/30/local/me-furloughs30

It's an unprecedented and uncomfortable time for a state workforce long immune to the bumps and bruises of California's boom-and-bust economy. Pay for civil servants can be modest, but the trade-off had always been a stable income and a reliable retirement.

looks like

we all get hit....

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    If I had to choose between NO JOB and a $5,000 salary decrease, I'd take the CUT.

I'd rather tighten my budget, cut back, down-size some things than have no money coming in at all.

And, in the meantime, I'd be saving as much as I could and looking for another job.

Plus, finding some kinda side hustle to replace/supplement the lower paycheck would be smart too.

Who knows?....The "side hustle" might even turn into a profitable replacement for the job.

3. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    excellent advice and approach:toast:

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you Bro Josef.

But, I would think this would be a "no-brainer" for most people.

"A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

Plus, although it is economically smart to save up at least 3 months of your monthly living expenses, MOST people don't have that kinda money in the bank.

MOST people live from check-to-check.

And that's why most of us are only 'bout 2 paychecks away from homelessness.

And when harder times hit with job losses and pay-cuts and tax & price increases, then the panic really sets in.

Many of us do live beyond our means and have expensive/costly excesses.

Many of us just don't save for that "rainy day;" and when the "rains" come, then, we're afraid we'll lose everything in the down-pour.

5. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I'm not sure.... my boss froze raises two years ago with no sign of changing. I could not make it with a pay cut. My bills took their increase though. Unemployment would be better because then I would qualify for Medicaid and food stamps.

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    been there done that...but sometimes that's not even enough because co-workers still get laid off....

one love
    khasm

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

In some states, those may not be available together.

8. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    actually some of us are. furloughs since last year, no bonus for 2 yrs, and no raises for 2 yrs. the real high salary people never took part of the bonuses and raises so that we could save for a rainy season. keep in mind this was BEFORE we were asked to look at ways to cut costs. we could see it coming. we will keep our "family" together!