Black Short Stories : Passage from: Another Kind of Blue

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by $$BEAUTY$$, Aug 10, 2006.

1. $$BEAUTY$$

$$BEAUTY$$ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2

Prologue

Have you ever had a dream so real you woke up in tears? One so real you woke up and even though you were in the comfort of your own bed, you were skeptical. In my case, I had the same dream every night. I don’t know whether it was a sign or warning, but I never got much sleep. I would be standing in the middle of a bayou with nothing but tree roots and muddy water surrounding me. All I can vaguely remember is some woman dressed in all black coming to me with her hands extended. She would never reveal her face the whole time she spoke.
    “You have the gift now child.” Her voice would boom.
    As soon as she spoke, her voice shook the earth and the water at my feet became blood. The earth would open up, and I would begin to run and never look back. The earth’s mouth would open up, but I would continue running. I would run until I found myself at the foot of my bed hugging my pillow and crying.
    It was scary as hell, and somehow I missed my mama’s warm embrace when I had bad dreams. I don’t know what the dreams meant, but I sure as hell wished they would go away.
    I remember the day my mother died plain and clear. It was a Monday morning and I was at school when they came to get me. I knew something was wrong, because our principal never came to our classes. The only reasons he came were death, or a threat from the Board of Health. I could not even cry; it was as if all the tears I thought I would cry were stuck inside me. I had watched my mother suffer so long. I had watched cancer eat away at her flesh and take her soul.
    It was the worst day of my life, and I knew now that I would be living with my Aunt Julean until I was old enough to be on my on. That was too **** long for any human being.
    I touched Mama’s face in the hospital bed. Her face was still warm, and I planted a kiss on her cheek. At that moment that I knew, I now had to live for myself and use all that mama had taught me to survive.

The day we buried Mama the skies were gray and rainy. As the preacher said his final words and mama was lowered into the ground, I could not hold back my tears. All I remember is my Aunt Julean holding my hand, and everything going black. I woke up in the back of her station wagon with dried up tears on my face.
    My mouth felt like someone had stuffed cotton in my throat, and my eyes felt like someone burned matches underneath my eyelids. I finally realized Mama was gone and I would never see her again. It was not like the way you miss summer vacation when school starts back. It was more like the way you would miss a limb or other body part if it were taken away from you. My aunt kept on telling me this and that about God, and how Mama had gone to heaven. I wanted to tell her that God should have taken someone else’s mama and left mine the hell alone.
    Instead, I just tuned her out and pretended to look out at the spring rain. My brother sat beside me and stared out into the rain as well. I didn’t know if he was strung out, or even if his mind was on Mama. What I did know is that nothing would be the same now that Mama was gone. She was strong, and that was something that she had not passed on to either one of us.

Instead, my brother had taken up drinking, partying, and drugs like his father, and I had taken up singing and stubbornness from Mama. As for my daddy, I would probably never meet the man. From what Mama told me he was still alive just dodging his responsibilities. I didn’t care to meet him, all I wanted was my mama back, and things the way they had been before cancer claimed her life and mine.

Hey everyone, I just want a little feedback on this prolouge. tell me what you think and wether or not you think the plot is interesting. thanks Ronnie

2. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    This story was mad deep. I liked this. I can't wait for more. I'm wondering what the dream stand for.

3. $$BEAUTY$$

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks

girl...

its all at the end, and thanks sis. basically I have a book written of about say 200 pages. lol so er....you may want to wait till it get published.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    love the mist of this and da dreamy tale only to know what happen
    tyte story line look to read da book soon ....................................

5. $$BEAUTY$$

Ratings:
    +2
    why thank u $$Rich$$ you always inspire me:jump:

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    where's part two !