Black People : PARIS BENNETT ON AMERICAN IDOL

Ms_MochaB

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 24, 2001
Kokomo, Indiana
Occupation
A Supervisor at the Sheriff's Department
I KNOW THIS ISN'T A MAJOR TOPIC, BUT I WATCHED AMERICAN IDOL LAST NIGHT (2-21-2006) AND I SAW A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG FEMALE SINGING "MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA" OH MY LAWWWD SHE WAS AWESOME IF YOU DON'T WATCH IT, WATCH IT ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY JUST TO VOTE FOR HER. SHE IS THE GRANDDAUGHTER OF ANN NESBITT (FIGHTING TEMPTATION, AND THE NAME OF THE GROUP SHE SANG WITH ESCAPES ME RIGHT NOW, BUT I'LL REMEMBER IT SOON). THE CHILD IS AWESOME I SAY!!!

But earlier in the day I was flipping through the channels when I saw Ellen DeGeneres post two pictures one of a white male (Acton Young) and one of a white female (Kellie Pickett) and state, one of these will be the next American Idol and stated that it was because KP didn't have her parents and was living from house to house when she was younger ... It was at that moment that I realized that white america's perception of single parent or parentless homes in the black community are "normal". This is not a normal thing, not that I care what Ellen DeGeneres thinks about anything but this world is full of people who will take the opinion of one person, be it right or wrong and apply it to their personal self and dwell on it. It's ironic how one person can destroy what we have built so hard to try to fix in our communities in one segment.

About a week ago, while flipping through the channels, Tyra Banks (Lord help her) was having an American Model type deal on her show. There was a beautiful young black woman on their, she did everything asked of her no questions asked, she made a potatoe sack look like a designed dress, she let them put a snake on her, but Tyra and her judges voted that a blond haired caucasion female "had what it takes" to make it, but not the black female (She was dark like me, so I may be somewhat biased ... lol)

Parents PLEASE instill in your children and grandchildren that they are beautiful as they are ... and please don't allow people to put them down because they are ignorant about their beauty, both inside and out.

Just somethings on my mind this morning ...Share your thoughts with me pertaining to these issues.

Ms_MochaB said:
I KNOW THIS ISN'T A MAJOR TOPIC, BUT I WATCHED AMERICAN IDOL LAST NIGHT (2-21-2006) AND I SAW A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG FEMALE SINGING "MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA" OH MY LAWWWD SHE WAS AWESOME IF YOU DON'T WATCH IT, WATCH IT ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY JUST TO VOTE FOR HER. SHE IS THE GRANDDAUGHTER OF ANN NESBITT (FIGHTING TEMPTATION, AND THE NAME OF THE GROUP SHE SANG WITH ESCAPES ME RIGHT NOW, BUT I'LL REMEMBER IT SOON). THE CHILD IS AWESOME I SAY!!!

But earlier in the day I was flipping through the channels when I saw Ellen DeGeneres post two pictures one of a white male (Acton Young) and one of a white female (Kellie Pickett) and state, one of these will be the next American Idol and stated that it was because KP didn't have her parents and was living from house to house when she was younger ... It was at that moment that I realized that white america's perception of single parent or parentless homes in the black community are "normal". This is not a normal thing, not that I care what Ellen DeGeneres thinks about anything but this world is full of people who will take the opinion of one person, be it right or wrong and apply it to their personal self and dwell on it. It's ironic how one person can destroy what we have built so hard to try to fix in our communities in one segment.

About a week ago, while flipping through the channels, Tyra Banks (Lord help her) was having an American Model type deal on her show. There was a beautiful young black woman on their, she did everything asked of her no questions asked, she made a potatoe sack look like a designed dress, she let them put a snake on her, but Tyra and her judges voted that a blond haired caucasion female "had what it takes" to make it, but not the black female (She was dark like me, so I may be somewhat biased ... lol)

Parents PLEASE instill in your children and grandchildren that they are beautiful as they are ... and please don't allow people to put them down because they are ignorant about their beauty, both inside and out.

Just somethings on my mind this morning ...Share your thoughts with me pertaining to these issues.

Hey MsMochaB:

I totally understand what you're saying, but the masses of 'we' come from the plantation tradition that taught us to identify with and appreciate the oppressors' image above our own. Unfortunately, while we fought heavily to be accepted into the mainstream social and political scene, we have yet to have a massive self-healing movement...so what you witnessed is the intergenerational legacy of the slave mentality. Children emulate what they see, so it's obvious what's going on in the minds and homes of most adults in the community. It's a painful one to deal with, so we have consistently avoided broaching the subject. The avoidance and negligence has led the behavior/mentality to grow uncontrolled in our race family.....unless Black people take a stand against it, it will become even more epidemic.

Blaklioness said:
Hey MsMochaB:

I totally understand what you're saying, but the masses of 'we' come from the plantation tradition that taught us to identify with and appreciate the oppressors' image above our own. Unfortunately, while we fought heavily to be accepted into the mainstream social and political scene, we have yet to have a massive self-healing movement...so what you witnessed is the intergenerational legacy of the slave mentality. Children emulate what they see, so it's obvious what's going on in the minds and homes of most adults in the community. It's a painful one to deal with, so we have consistently avoided broaching the subject. The avoidance and negligence has led the behavior/mentality to grow uncontrolled in our race family.....unless Black people take a stand against it, it will become even more epidemic.

Here again the answer to every issue is our supposed "slave" mentality carried over from the plantation. It is no wonder Hillary Clinton feels smug enough to sit amongst an all Black congregation and utter the same nonsense (unchallenged by any so-called black leadership I might add)...

Lioness, we have had many a massive self-healing movement. "Black is Beautiful" was preceeded by Garveyism which was about nothing but celebrating, uplifting and requiring the black race realize itself. Research that stats on the SCALE of the UNIA; "massive" is quite an accurate adjective for it.

If the "intergenerational legacy" of slavery truly IS the source of black folks yearning for european self-images, then how does one explain the very same behavior happening in other cultures the world over? Do Asian youth not run around with blonde hair these days? Do continental Africans not perm and straighten theirs?

Non-european cultures deal with these image problems because white media, increasingly laced with sophisticated subliminal warfare, has penetrated most the globe. It may feel good temporarily to spout off about some "plantation"
mentality keeping us shackled, but too often that feel-good rhetoric doesn't really address the issue and is a simplistic substitute for critical thinking.

Our slave ancestors were an industrious, ingenious and steel-willed people. For their descendants to flippantly attribute so many of our current failings to their legacy is not only self-defeating but TREACHEROUS.

Ms_MochaB said:

The Sounds of Blackness :) I love her grandmothas voice its beautiful and Paris is a testament to that talented bloodline.

Ms_MochaB said:

Yes, that lil Sista can blow. However, Lisa Tucker ain't no joke either. Paris Bennet has the technical aspect of singing down pat. Lisa Tucker has a very powerful voice in that little body of hers. These two young ladies are incredibly gifted. They are the best singers this year of all the females. Paris reminds me of Fantasia. She knows how to draw the crowd in with her energy...and she knows how to work the stage...very good stage presence. Lisa Tucker has a powerful voice...very melodic and just outright beautiful. She has good control of her voice...with very good song selection.

The best male voice is the older White guy. But he can't dance worth nothing. His body movements remind me of Mr. Ray Charles. (GOD bless the dead.) But, he isn't blind. So, I don't expect him to make it to the finals.

I expect Paris Bennet and Lisa Tucker to make it to the finals. These two would have been equal to the final pair of Season 3 with Fantasia and LaToya London. Of course, that didn't happen. Hopefully, America gets it right and you'll see a great showdown for the title of American Idol with a 16 and 17 year old.

The only thing Ellen and other shows like hers will do is make more people watch American Idol. Of course, they will sway the votes a little...but everyone votes for their favorite singer anyway. It's really a popularity contest among people who can sing. :D

Racism/White supremacy and it's propaganda causes identity crises around the world. The way to overcome that is for the older people to show pride in their people...to give the younger people a reason to be proud of their people. That'll take care of that. :D

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back