Pan Africanism : Pan Africanism = Code of political correctness in dealing with Africa

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dustyelbow, Nov 11, 2005.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    African - Americans with education, money, and political connection cannot handle the day to day life of Africa based on the experience of this journalist.

How can any diaspora African go back to the motherland and continue the work of our ancestors in the continent?

What general approach to take other than the dismal accounts of these African americans make?

Did these disappointed African-Americans miss something before leaving America or is Africa truly a nightmare in action for any notion of going back based on these testimonies?

Do you think the man became "born-again" after his trials in Africa to love America much more (directly fight for more African Americans inclusion in his news orgainzation, convince his collegues to spend time to help poverty bound African-americans with dreams experience life working at a international news organization, etc) and be of more service and spent his quality time getting neglected, suffering, and poorly educated African Americans "up to date". Despite his unpleasing reactions in Africa anything an American does is considered forgivable and a lesser evil based on what was experienced in Africa.

To the above question, I think not. But he said he reach a truth in this matter.

Original site

2. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    A round of applause for you and him. I always knew you were suspect, but to use the words of another man to make your own point? I dont care what he thinks. Infact, with blacks like that who needs divide and conqueer. Its good some people come out in their true colors. Should Africa be reformed, alot of people will not be allowed within the borders of Africa. I am currently satisfied with the efforts I am taking to develop africa and I dont need his approval or anyone else's because the coin will be flipped soon, and he will sing a different tune.

3. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    I did not mention I support him but I am highlighting his approach did not work for him. He had money, he had education, he had political connections and to him all that was failure in Africa. If highly educated and class conscious people like him failed then what approach other than his would work. That is how I see it.

Believe it or not, most folks take that approach. I heard some African American thought the same of going to reside in Ghana. When they got there and began this new life they threw their passport into the ocean from the beaches. In a day or so they all went back to the beaches looking for their washed ashore passports to get out of there. But still these African Americans are not on the level as this man and his story is.

I still believe you have to tell people who have sense the reality of the situation and let them make a decision. Personally if they ask me I dont want to give an impression that they will be ok when I know some dangers in the situation. For example many early African Americans who resettled into Africa from post slavery times were sickened and sometimes died from a mosquito bite which carries malaria. Most African americans live in situations in America where mosquitoes bites do not sicken and kill you on the spot. That's the reality of the situation. I am not trying to deter them but I dont want their death or sickness be due in ignorance and a lack of giving information on my part. In reverse I was told my immigrant aquaintence the information they recieved about us was "America streets are paved with gold" and "watch out for black people". But that is not the reality of it. They die looking for this "gold" and the only communities in America in general willing to give them hospitality and "gold" are black communities. Other places dont want them as much.

Anyhow, any determined person will still proceed regardless of the outcome and that is one great firm qualification other than money education and political connections. The writer and his examples were reluctant to travel to Africa. It wasn't on their radar until someone else suggested it to them. That disqualified them. And the basis for him to write the above.

That is the idea I am trying to reach. Being under suspect is not unusual for a black man. As with anybody it seems we have to prove our worth to them.

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I remember reading this same book last year.

I've never been to any part of Africa but I know people who have and I think it's a pretty realistic view of most AfroAmerican's views of Africa if they get a chance to visit around the continent outside of the tourist or designated areas.

Africa is in a transition period.

There is a struggle between old-world traditionalism and new-world Westernization.

Those are the only choices being given and for those who are frustrated and angry at the racist Westernization and destruction of thier land and people.......the only way they know how to fight back and counter this is to become more traditional and "old-school".
    They fight to hold on to their cultures and ways thier ancestors have practiced for centuries.

Unfortunately, in the process of rejecting WESTERN culture, they also make the mistake of rejecting some modern and progressive values and institutions that would be of major benefit.

They aren't hurting the white man by rejecting certain institutions, forms of education, technology, science, and other things.
    Most white people could care less whether they accept it or reject it.

This is why the greatest minds of the Black world need to come together to develop our own culture and value system so we can provide reasonable and viable alternative to Westernization besides practicing "arrested development" where we totally remove ourselves from the modern world.

5. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    Wise man, what is your background? I mean are you in university, are you working, are you into politics or economics, where are you from? May be we can talk further on it cause it seems we see eye to eye on this issue.

6. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    I think to sum up there are three types of defeated peoples.

There are the ones who chose to take up the culture of the conquerers. They chose to be the uncle toms, hoping that it buys them acceptance.

There the ones who do not chose to take up the culture of the conquerers, yet they have no power to make a change. They accept there status in society are usually the ones who show paradoxical self hatred. In other words, they profess to be black, yet they do not want to have anything to do with Africa. That is the guy who wrote the article above.

Then there are the revolutionaries. They are the ones who see victory in defeat. Always thinking of ways to rise from the ashes and create a great nation. i believe I belong to this group. I am trying to confirm if Dual is a revolutionary too. We are at the forefront of the battle and we need to unite to make the difference. We must realize that America means white power. And the whites will have nothing less. We must be able to create a viable alternative to America for black people.

7. kaguvi

kaguvi Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    If you leave America willingly to settle in AFRICA but then want to continue life exactly as you lived it “at home,” what are you saying? What are the effects of this decision on how you live, work and raise your kids? You may have a sense of “cultural purity,” but at the cost of keeping you and your kids alienated and socio-cultural outcasts from your adopted society. And yet if you try too hard to fit in, you feel lost because it is not fully possible and can create other problems!

I think the question black people in the diaspora must ask them self's is are you bringing up your kids as citizens of the host country, or as temporary visitors who one day may have to integrate back into Africa?

I don’t know whether it is possible for an African of origin or ancestry or their children to become a “European” or American in terms of really feeling “of Europe” and being accepted as European over and above merely having citizenship or birth papers.I think fitting in and being successful in a foreign land depends very much on one’s attitude to adjustment and flexibility.

I think it is important to remind oneself about one’s home and “staying in touch” with your roots, because Africa is the continent of the future.The messy politics of much of the motherland may sometimes cloud this, but it is temporary. It would be a shame if you got so comfortable being on the margins of Europe and America that you the son or daughter of Africa will be too alienated and out of touch with it to participate in the boom to come in the only place on the planet where you and I have the possibility to be first class citizens.
    In a very real way, you have no choice but to participate in the struggle for a new, better Africa, whether you admit it or not! How well or how poorly your ancestral country or continent is doing will follow you wherever you are, whether you like it or not.The performance of Africa will psychologically affect the prospects and lives of blacks everywhere

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    By Nana John Henrik Clarke

The main focus for a new reality in the African world must have as its mission the restoration of what slavery and colonialism took away. Slavery and colonialism took from African people their basic culture, their language, their concept of nationhood, their manhood their woman hood. They mutilated and tried to destroy their traditional culture and reduced Africans to beggars at the cultural and political door of other people while neglecting the job of restoring their own culture, the main thing that could have sustained them

The Africans needed a value system of their own design. Most important in the education to assume the responsibility of nationhood. Africans needed to be educated to be the managers of the wealth producing resources of their own country. All over the African world we need fewer parades, fewer demonstrations, fewer pronouncements, less hero worship and more closed door meetings to plan the strategy of African survival throughout the world. We need to study how other nations rose from a low to a high position in the world and did what we we still have to do

Both my colleagues and my students have grown weary of my using the case of the rise of modern Japan. They say the Japanese are racist. They are, but they did for themselves what we still need to do, they retained their culture. They did not let the conqueror interfere with their way of life or tamper with the CONCEPT AND IMAGE OF GOD as they conceived god to be. Throughout the whole of the African world most Africans who call themselves civilized, and here I have to question their definition of the term, worship a concept of a god assigned to them by a foreigner. Because the Japanese refused to allow thier conquerors to do this to them they recovered from defeat and rose to a position in a world where their former conquerors are asking them for space in their commercial world

The Japanese did this without demonstrations, shooting a gun or asking the permission of their conqueror. They did this because they could talk strategy among themselves and not have anyone run to their conqueror and betray the strategist. They realized something that the people of the African worlds have not yet realized. There is no way to move any people from the lower to a higher position unless they are willing to accept some form of collective discipline. You can not move an unruly mob into anything but chaos. Sometime we are democratic among ourselves and not able to get anything done because we are not able to decide what needs to be done

Europeans and white people in general have become masters of image control and mind control, which is sometimes one and the same. The most devastating of all European image control is their own control over the definition and image of God. Very few black ministers or lay persons dispute the white picture of Christ painted in Europe 1500 years after Christ was dead. Most people in the civilizations of the world generally look at a spiritual diety that resembles themselves, mainly the father in the home, be this right or wrong. Why are we an exception?

Let's look briefly at what this image does to our mind and the mind of our youth. The image of Christ the son of God is one color, policemen are the same, judges in the courts, in most cases, are the same. What are these images saying to our youth, that the color they wear is incapable of holding power. When one goes to the black church and looks at the Sunday school lesson, all the angels shown there are white. These pictures tell your child that he or she is not capable of being an angel

If you are now asking the question, what has this to do with the education of a new reality in the African world. then you need to ask the question until you find the answer. Why not answer the question with a question to yourself? Am I not worthy of exercising power over myself, within my familly within my community, within my nation, as anyone else? If I am not prepared for it, do I have the mental capacity to prepare myself for it? Do people holding power have a mental capacity to in excess of mine? If so, why?. We live in a society that programs us into doubting out capacity to be the masters of ourselves and the circumstances under which we live. The rulers of this society and other societies have made a mystery of the ruling of nations. They say outright, or imply, that this is an achievement beyond our capacity

This is why throughout this paper I will be consistently referring to the fact that we have to look back in order to look forward. The past illuminates the present and the present will give us some indication of what the future can be. Education for new reality in the African world as to be three dimensional in its approach

9. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Militant

I don't go to school and I'm unemployed right now....lol.

So I really have nothing better to do than sitting around and post on message boards until something falls through.
    I wouldn't mind going on a fact finding mission through out the mother land in my spare time, but that costs money.

Kaguvi
    To be honest with you there are some things I like about the West and some things I like about Africa.

The main thing about the West that I like is the freedom (albeit limited...lol) to express one's self and think differently.
    Many African and Asian societies are so traditional that if you think outside the box...you're liable to be LOCKED out of the box and not let back in.

One thing the West is good for is welcoming maverick ideas.

What I like about the African culture it being more spiritual than material, family oriented, the organized roles and rules for the sexes, and the foods that are more in tune with our bodies.

I want the best of both worlds, and I believe this could be accomplished with a little planning.

Sekhemu

John is right...

We need our own system instead of trying to work with someone else's in their absence.

10. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Dropping some more of Out of America: A Black Man Confronts Africa Keith B. Richburg viewpoints. The real fight in life seems to be those inner demons we keep hearing about. My interest continues to be in psychological profiles and he again provides many illustrations or lessons to consider if your serious about dealing with choices, really our own expectations in life, in this case with Africa from his 'black' American perspective.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rev okonyene