Pan Africanism : pan-Africanism and relationships

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by wildchild510, Apr 19, 2005.

1. wildchild510

wildchild510 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way, but as a Black male I find it hard to find a female counter part who is as passionant about pan-africanism or just African people as a whole as I am. Im not saying that the sistas are not out their but it just seems like americanization has had a major effect on both male and female Black psyche. I was just wondering if anyone else wheither male or female found it hard to find someone that shares the same passion for the mother continent.

2. thabo_mbeki

thabo_mbeki Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    i agree, however the internet is a valuable tool which allows us to commincate with fellow pan africanists who feel the same all around the world...

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes it is! Also if one is having difficulty finding a woman that is interested in PanAfricanism & Black Culture...might I suggest dating African or Caribbean women.

4. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    Brother Panafrica I am here!

You are quite right. I think it is hard to find sisters who give priority to black people. In the 3 political organizations I joined I am the only woman! There is no woman but me in our meetings. At first I felt awkward, then it drives me to be more vocal and domineering. Many Black Nationalists brothers could conveniently fail to support my point of views, this has been a fact. They are obviously chauvinist brothers out there that make sisters uncomfortable. Another thing about me, I am highly driven by male energy. My personality has always been outspoken and even quarrelsome at times (smile). As a result I started to join African Revolutionary parties or groups early in life. I hate, and will fight against black people injustice anywhere.

Perhaps Black Pride is completely absent in most black women because of the patriarchal societies we live in. Sexism thrives to severely reduce feminine importance and voice. We can’t ignore that.

5. Kwango_Likemba

Ratings:
    +11
    What if you make a conscious decision to get involved with an African or a Carribean black woman that wants nothing to do with the uplifting of our people?? What would you do? A pro-African black man cannot make such a choice, right?

I know I couldn't date anyone who lacks African Nationalism philosophy, period.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Unfortunately, the assimilation mentality exist in every black community throughout the Diaspora. However I would expect that anyone seeking to date a sister from Africa or the Carribean...would also talk with her to see where her head is at (as one should with any person they seek to date). I could tell the difference between sister Kwango_Likemba & Iman within 5 minutes!

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It is hard to find sisters who give priority to black people, and it is becoming increasingly difficult in this country. Still these sisters exist (you are an example of one, as is my wife), so brothers need not despair! Although I have to disagree with you sister Kwango_Likemba that the absence of black pride is a result of sexist, patriarchal societies. I would think that increase of assimilation, the presence of white media, and education within black communities plays a greater role. This is not to say that sexism does not play a part, but I don't think it is a primary factor. I'll add more later, I need to get ready for work!

8. wildchild510

wildchild510 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your input. Yeah, i started joining organizations and geeting involved and I have also noticed that there are very few women active on the grass roots level or even on the major level of the struggle. Yeah i guess the majority of Black people are assimulated into western ideas. I thought that I wouldnt have this problem since I attend an HBCU but here it seems like everyone is assimulated....the irony.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    First let me officially welcome you to Destee.com wildchild510 (I neglected to do so earlier). Second let me state that one's primary goal upon joining Black Nationalist/PanAfricanist organizations should be to solve the issues of our people, not to met a potential mate. This being said there are many Black women who are community oriented & give priority to the black man. Indeed this website alone is full of sisters like this, including the founder & owner, Destee! These sisters are not as easy to spot as the assimulated ones, but they are out there, you just have to look. If there are African/Caribbean restaurants in your area, eat there. Find some African centered clubs, movies, festivals, etc. It is best to meet someone in a relaxed environment anyway!

10. Kwango_Likemba

Ratings:
    +11
    Seriously tell me brothers Panafrica and wildchild510 a very gorgeous African woman like Iman, but perhaps a miseducated soul, is not worth it? Or a beautiful woman with the wrong mindset is definitely a turn-off for you both?

As it is now in Africa, in the Congo at least, it’s worse! Our brothers and sisters there are not interested in PAN AFRICANISM or SELF KNOWLEDGE. Add to that the lack of sharing information, education, teaching how to protect ourselves, strive in life, etc... Where there is no equality, there is less emancipation agenda for women but more male power ingrained with male values and point of view. Therefore I think women are many ways more disadvantaged in Africa than in rich nation, and that's why sisters in the Motherland are less exposed to Black Nationalism and Panafrican positions in the home or elsewhere.

I completely agree with you. Panafrican/Black Nationalist sisters are out there. They are educated and dedicated! And I believe we will see them more when black women will be treated better by black/African males in general.