Black People : P.C. vs The Dozens

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    Have we become so P.C. that playing the dozens would be considered bullying by todays standards? 'Your momma so fat, he butt has three zip codes', would get you kicked out of some schools today.

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    with the diverse society comes a standard of acceptable behavior. unfortunately, that standard generally negates the REAL us--the passionate us, the inherently aggressive in nature us, that part of us that makes us unique...other than our skin tone. PC just says...in order to play in our world, you have to play like us...or else. PC or oppression? hmmm.

the dozens would be among that unacceptable standard of behavior that we're now restricted from. for us, it was a form of play...a method of growth...a way of socializing. just like our physical play at times appear to be threatening...like we're about to fight. THEY JUST DON'T KNOW US LIKE THAT. we're an aggressive people. we NEED to release that aggression in playful ways...or else.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    But that's the point. They had their own version of this. I submit that the entire society is being taken over by the timid

4. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    i'll agree with that. they're even trying to turn football into a flag sport--you get fined for hitting too hard now. when i played football, hitting hard was the name of the game. if you didn't hit hard you were benched.

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I bet a prisoner that's been locked up for 40 years, once released from prison, might on occaision miss something about his captivity.. maybe an old friend on the inside or a certain kind of comfort that he built within the chaos of his captivity.. but, context, as you know, is everything..

The problem I see with "Todays schools standards" is that that kind of disrespectful bullsh** wouldnt get you kicked out EVERY school in every district in every town today.

I remember tons of schoolyard fights that started over these kind of comments.. And the hurt feelings and animosity that these kinds of comments caused to Black children already dealing with alot of things. Black children really really need to learn how to respect each other... it really is the key to unity. Your mama jokes, from my point of view, is evidence of cultural dysfunction.. The key to cultural progress is for us to leave behind the customs and practices that do not line-up with our cultural aspirations.. And I can't think of any cultural aspiration that would line up with creating a ritual out of insulting one another by attacking the key figure in our struggle for survival and progress.. The Mother. The Dozens.. is something that we, as a people, need to leave behind.. realrealtalk..

6. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    It still happens today on and off schoolyards. One would hope that as we age into adulthood that this type of talk woud subside. But it still exist. Too bad! Only the fights with adults is not of the kid variety. Its very immature. That is something every adult should impress on our kids, thats just not a nice thing to do.

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Adulthood may change the details.. But the disposition created by those kind of cultural rituals persists even after the specific actions have ceased. And once that disposition becomes apart of your personality, The Dozens as a structure will show up in new forms. Look at the way many black people relate to each other.. I bet if you look closely you can see remnants of The Dozens.