Black People : Over-representation of the Akan and Yoruba cultures in the Conscious Community

http://www.thenorthstarnews.com/Story/African-Americans-Reclaim-Their-Ancestral-Heritage-in-Cameroon

"The Cameroon government picked up the tab for the hotel rooms, food and ground transportation. ARK Jammers is now planning to offer Ancestry Reconnection Programs to other African countries in the Diaspora. "

Just how can and will this help the majority of our people, in this era of a lackluster african american president and/or the growing (negative) impact of gangsta rap etc.?

At best, to many, ROOTS was just a great TV mini series...

FYI...

I'm afraid the era of positive takes on our african roots has come and go...

I. e. the questions to be answered, what are and will today's generations do to resolve today's issues/problems/etc.

Doing so via literal isolation and/or a lack of support (via other ethnic/racial groups) might not be the best means/ways/etc. to go about it...

FYI...

What I haven't read thus far, is there is a lot of proof of akan & yoruba/Ifa practicioners who did make the journey over here... The Akan Diaspora in the new world (I think) by Dr. Kwasi Konadu has done an excellent job tracking akan placement & displacement throughout the world.
Why more of our spiritual systems haven't crossed the waters, I cannot address but we know about the continuations of Ifa in new europe (read: amerika) via syncreticism & akan being here thanks to Baba Yao Dinizulu in the 50's...

Well like I said earlier, the language barrier was probably the biggest reason. Ghana and Nigeria are both English speaking nations.

Just how can and will this help the majority of our people, in this era of a lackluster african american president and/or the growing (negative) impact of gangsta rap etc.?

At best, to many, ROOTS was just a great TV mini series...

FYI...

It will only benefit the people that choose to follow their roots back. I can't speak for the "majority" of black Americans.

This is a very good topic. I don't see that there are darts being throne, only facts being challenged. It is true that our african-american culture has no idea of their true roots. I see it all of the time, other cultures have more respect for this religion than ours. Unfortunetly in america the government controls what is passed down in history.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back