Black People : Outside Toilet - Historical Outhouse - Ever Use One?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

jamesfrmphilly wondered last night, how many of us have ever used an outside toilet, an outhouse ... :look:

I have vague memories of using one as as a child, but grew up with inside plumbing.

How about you ... do you have experiences of an outside potty ... :explode:

:heart:

Destee

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Yes I used one when I was a child...that was a looong time ago.:lol: At that time although we had piped water there was no indoor plumbing. I was so scared using it.. What if I fell into that dark hole:mad: I always dread using it at night. The back electric light was on in the yard but no light in the outhouse.. when indoor plumbing was installed I breathed a sigh of relief. I can sympathise with those who have to use it still. I would not want to go back there.:lol: The environmentalist say the outhouse is better for the environment...but not for this gal.:lol:

Indians lead in defecating in open - Free SMS to India, SMS ...

1.2 billion people in India have no toilets...not even outhouses.:eek:

3. Ms Drea

Ms Drea STAFF STAFF

United States
    Educator
    Ratings:
    +272
    I have used an outhouse numerous times as a child when I would visit my great aunt in Kenneth,Missouri, however she had indoor plumbing when I visited her during my teenage years. That outhouse was interesting and different for a city girl like myself..lol
    Love & Blessings,
    DREA

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

uh oh Sister ... there's another one of those suspicious look'n links ... :peek:

lol @ being scared of the outhouse, i vaguely remember that too, with my experience ... and Brother James said the same last night during his Elder Interview ... :love: ... lol at yall both sound as though you feel the same about the old outhouse ... hmmmm ... this could be a match made in toilet heaven ... :wink:

thanks for sharing ... :)

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

lol @ a little city girl in an outhouse ... look'n lost ... :lol:

have you always lived in the city Sister ... ?? ... no pick'n cotton experiences, milk'n cows, etc. .. ?

Love You!

Destee

6. Ms Drea

Ms Drea STAFF STAFF

United States
    Educator
    Ratings:
    +272
    Yes Sister, I am city girl born & learned for 41 years. Folks say I been living in the country for the last 14yrs where I presently reside in this city of 40,000 population. I only thing I every picked was strawberries in Bangor,MI and I didn't pick them correctly..and the folks I was with really mocked me. Hey..what can I say city girl all the way!... lol
    Love & Blessings,
    Drea :heart:

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

lol @ Sister pick'n strawberries ... eat'n each one as it got picked ... :lol:

nawwww ... i don't think that qualifies as pick'n ... since none could be weighed, cooked, canned, nuth'n ... :lol:

okay @ life time city girl ... i didn't know ... after all these years ... still learning new stuff about each other ... :love:

I LOVE YOUUUUUUUU !!! ... :kiss:

Destee

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well, actually USED one?......NO!

I, too, grew up with a bathroom.

But, we often traveled to see relatives during the summer. Back then, many still had "out-houses," especially the older people and people who lived in rural areas.--- On one summer visit, my mother took us to meet an Elder relative (RIP) who lived "out in tha' country" (as they call it) lol---Now, mother already KNEW this Elder didn't have a BATHROOM, so she warned us to use the bathroom before we left "TOWN." (lol)

This Elder relative lived on a FARM, lived off his LAND with vegetables and chickens/cow/pigs, had no running water IN his house but had a WELL right out the back-door.

Now, after we had been there a while, after I'd had water and tea, of course, I needed to pee.

But, I knew I was NOT gonna use that Out-House! :nono: (lol)

So, I did what many of our Ancestors did when it was too dark or cold to go to the Out-House, I went into a room in his house for some privacy and USED A BUCKET. (lol)

That's what many of them did back then and would empty the "bucket" in the morning.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

Great Story! Thanks for Sharing! ... :toast:

i lol'd at this line ... But, I knew I was NOT gonna use that Out-House! :nono: (lol) ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

and you're right about THE BUCKET ... i forgot about that part ... you're absolutely rite ... i remember that too!

Nice Share!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

10. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    The closest I've ever came to use as an "out-house"...was a Port-o-potty aka Honey Bucket.