Our Youth

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by QUEEN ABENA, Apr 7, 2006.

1. QUEEN ABENA

QUEEN ABENA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings All
    Yesterday riding the train from work, something quite interesting occured. On the train were 3 young boys(ranging from 7-11). They were by themselves coming from 34th street midtown and they were wilin out on the train. They were arguing over something little boys argue over but then they started getting violent with eachother. They were getting ready to fight. The eldest told the little one "I'm gonna :censored: u up if you say one more thing" The little one kept mouthing then they started shoving eachother. So I kindly said to the boys "ya'll cut that nonsense out on the train actin up " They looked at me like "Who are you" Anyway they started fighting again and Then a white man stepped between them and said "Cut it out right now, Stop it" He was the only one breaking up the fight. The eldest boy looked at him and said "get the :censored: off of me" The man paid him no mind, and he continued to stand between them so they wouldn't fight anymore. He was a complete stranger, yet he was the only One, besides me who said or did anything. Now I couldn't be mad at him for that but mad at my own Elder Brothers and Sisters who just sat there shakin they're head saying "oh well thats not my kid, or little black kids are so ghetto, etc..... Do you think me or the Man who stopped the fight had a right to intervene with these children. I mean i feel like if that was my child actin out like that i would be more than happy if someone came and took control. No matter what! Not saying nothing is why our children behave like this.
    What do you think?

2. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    I think you did the right thing, whether or not they listened. Most of us are afriad of our own young people but won't admit it. What happened to "it takes a village..."?

3. QUEEN ABENA

QUEEN ABENA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Right
    and it literally does take a village. Why shake ya head and talk under ya breath when you can just Speak up. These are children. Although I do know that some kids are just outright dis-respectful, Still I choose to take a chance and "butt in" My father, forget about it. Any kids actin out in public, knowin them or not, he took action. And they listened. Maybe because he was a Man, I don't know but he wasn't having that. That White man that stopped the kids, He didn't have a clue to who they belonged to, nor did he care he just decided that enough was enough. And even though he got a good cussin, the fighting ceased.

We gotta take our Positions. These are "our" children.

4. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Sis, I would have said something too...

5. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    of course you did sister... they will continue to be misguided unless we step in... just yesterday i was getting a pedicure in a pretty busy shopping center and some boys, around the same age, were riding there bikes doing wheelies and whatnot. one almost got hit... the car had to run up on the curb dang near hit an adult to miss this kid. i came out and called him to me... he said didn't just look at me like he wanted to cuss he did cuss. ticked me off... one of my hustles is an emt... the first death i had was a little boy on a bike that got hit by a car. it still shakes me up when i think about it. i was just trying to look out for the child. basically... i had to call the police so that they could come and keep the little dimwits from being hit by a car...
    then his mom.. came out of a store and started yelling at me when the police came. <i told the boys if they didn't stop i would call the police so they knew who had called... adn undoubtedly told the mama> she is cursing acting like a *****.. yeah i said it... i igg'd her and walked away... now i see why the boy is the way he is....

crazy part about that is that there was an empty building around the corner in that same shopping center with a BIG parking lot... they could've rode there bikes over there without threat of collision...

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i agree , i would have stepped in quick and tryed to give these kids
    some advice about life too often we turn the other cheek, this why so
    many is out of control and knowing me cussing they got to respect me
    as children ......y'all did the right thing for real.

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    With the way how society flows today, take it from experience sistah, you will be saying that for a VERY long time before someone listens.

CD

8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    our youth...

what you did was what our mothers and fathers would have done back in the day[step in and it's over]and you are to be commended,however we live in crazy times and some of these[little children]are carryin guns bigger then they are[i've seen em up close]or the next thing some fool is gonna be up in your face askin why you put your hands on my kid[they ain't gonna tell what really happened]that's why folks are reluctant to step in today.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Excellent thread topic, thank you for starting it Queen Abena. I'm looking forward to more discussion, to see more conversation about REAL tough issues from real experiences.

Oh, and btw, I support what you did with these young men even though it appeared it did little good. But who knows, maybe as they grow older and encounter life some more, one of them will remember the woman on the train and the advice she gave.

Queenie :heart: