Black History Culture : Our we getting played by our own history?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by KPITRL, Mar 7, 2015.

1. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    I had a few debates about the timing of this historic celebration, and many chose to believe that this 50th anniversary celebration of the March on Selma coming at the same time of the new uprising of the young revolution was only a coincidence, and not any attempt to thwart their movement. I can't whole heartily agree with that.

When you think about it, there's enough Black history during the civil rights era alone to have an anniversary each month of the year for somebody involved in the 60's movement, however that seems to depend on what part or who in the civil rights movement is chosen to be recognized. My question is who is deciding to have these anniversaries, and exactly when and why. I don't recall any 10, 20, 30, etc... anniversary for Selma, although it was an important time. I only remember seeing parts of it on television as a kid every other year as part of the history of the civil rights movement, which would mostly fall on the anniversaries of the King assassination, but never on the actual date of the march, like we're seeing today with the celebrated march on Selma. A lot of the young may not be aware of this, but names like Rosa Parks, Medger Everts, Jame Meredith, Gandhi (who really despised Blacks at first), Jimmy Lee Jackson, and even Emitt Till weren't really mentioned that much until a decade or two ago, if that long. I'm not saying these events or individuals weren't remembered or recognized, but you never thought they would have televised Rosa Parks funeral when she passed years later, or anyone would mention Emitt Tills name in a rap video years later, even though that video was disrespectful.

With all these individuals being important parts of our history, and after watching how the timing of the Selma celebration, for example the movie, coincided with this new young movement, it leaves me to feel that if the people in power want to kill any new uprising, they have plenty of ammunition, while using it in the guise of recognizing Black history. Right now it seems like if we ever rise again like we were about to do last fall, then they will take another one of our Black public figures from the civil rights era and put out a movie or form some kind of 5, 10, 15, 20, etc... year anniversary for any one of them, and do it over and over again, in order to decrease the momentum. The way it's going now, it looks like we will be having 100th year anniversaries, will beyond 50th year anniversaries, and still be stuck in the same place. How else do you explain celebrating Selma, and hearing a Black president give a good speech on the 50th anniversary, almost at the same time the DOJ announces they will not press charges on George Zimmerman or Darren Wilson, and probably on none of the cops who killed Eric Garner. The way it looks now, I'm not even sure if the cop who killed 12 year-old Tamir Rice will even be indicted. Most people, including the families of the victims, where expecting charges not to be filed, which makes it even worst.

So to me, it instead feels like they're showing us that they're 50 years ahead of us in ways to thwart our movements, while pretending to honor a 50 year celebration or recognition, the recognition of something that was tragic in itself. I'm not only talking about the physical part of the march as being tragic, however I talking about the mental part as well when you see they're actually in the process of gutting the Voting Rights Act 50 years later, after people were beaten, and some even killed. And many big named Blacks support this celebration, and not only Al this time. In my opinion, I think if Dr. King could say something, I think he would ask us not to use his name and others who sacrificed during the civil rights era to refocus on pass achievements 50 years ago, especially after these recent DOJ decisions. I think he would have put off any celebration, even his annual King Holiday, if these celebrations were in any way going to take the focus off or dampen the spirits of the young that we were seeing in this recent uprising.

Now on a better note, I do like how the DOJ put the Ferguson Police Department on blast, causing some resignations. I just want this to continue in that police department, and the rest of the police departments in this entire country. But it shouldn't take bad emails about the Black President of the United States to finally get these officers removed, meanwhile getting away with killing unarmed Black men. Anyway, I'm hoping these actions by the DOJ will rekindle the fire that was lost.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  2. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Media plays such a major role in this...

New York protesters chant f*&$ CNN, CNN lies!

Reporter attempts to cover protests, and tries to find less hostile area, but ends up looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

Too many people not buying the Media Industrial Complex fictitious narratives anymore.

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    on the one hand
    on time overview
    on the other hand
    wrong media etc
    you took too long and most people have short attention spans

and in order to rally new recruits it's got be about now not yesterday not where we were and about where we are
    fyi

4. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    yes you peep the cons
    but went on the defensive
    that is why others win by default
    other than being photo ops etc more tributes to past movements change nothing about our present issues

New activists and new movements are needed etc

fyi

5. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    [QUOTE="KPITRL, post: 913430, member: 37226" I had a few debates about the timing of this historic celebration, and many chose to believe that this 50th anniversary celebration of the March on Selma coming at the same time of the new uprising of the young revolution was only a coincidence, and not any attempt to thwart their movement. I can't whole heartily agree with that.

When you think about it, there's enough Black history during the civil rights era alone to have an anniversary each month of the year for somebody involved in the 60's movement, however that seems to depend on what part or who in the civil rights movement is chosen to be recognized.

My question is who is deciding to have these anniversaries, and exactly when and why. I don't recall any 10, 20, 30, etc... anniversary for Selma, although it was an important time. I only remember seeing parts of it on television as a kid every other year as part of the history of the civil rights movement, which would mostly fall on the anniversaries of the King assassination, but never on the actual date of the march, like we're seeing today with the celebrated march on Selma.

A lot of the young may not be aware of this, but names like Rosa Parks, Medger Everts, Jame Meredith, Gandhi (who really despised Blacks at first), Jimmy Lee Jackson, and even Emitt Till weren't really mentioned that much until a decade or two ago, if that long. I'm not saying these events or individuals weren't remembered or recognized, but you never thought they would have televised Rosa Parks funeral when she passed years later, or anyone would mention Emitt Tills name in a rap video years later, even though that video was disrespectful.

With all these individuals being important parts of our history, and after watching how the timing of the Selma celebration, for example the movie, coincided with this new young movement, it leaves me to feel that if the people in power want to kill any new uprising, they have plenty of ammunition, while using it in the guise of recognizing Black history.

Right now it seems like if we ever rise again like we were about to do last fall, then they will take another one of our Black public figures from the civil rights era and put out a movie or form some kind of 5, 10, 15, 20, etc... year anniversary for any one of them, and do it over and over again, in order to decrease the momentum.

The way it's going now, it looks like we will be having 100th year anniversaries, will beyond 50th year anniversaries, and still be stuck in the same place. How else do you explain celebrating Selma, and hearing a Black president give a good speech on the 50th anniversary, almost at the same time the DOJ announces they will not press charges on George Zimmerman or Darren Wilson, and probably on none of the cops who killed Eric Garner.

The way it looks now, I'm not even sure if the cop who killed 12 year-old Tamir Rice will even be indicted. Most people, including the families of the victims, where expecting charges not to be filed, which makes it even worst.

So to me, it instead feels like they're showing us that they're 50 years ahead of us in ways to thwart our movements, while pretending to honor a 50 year celebration or recognition, the recognition of something that was tragic in itself.

I'm not only talking about the physical part of the march as being tragic, however I talking about the mental part as well when you see they're actually in the process of gutting the Voting Rights Act 50 years later, after people were beaten, and some even killed. And many big named Blacks support this celebration, and not only Al this time.

In my opinion, I think if Dr. King could say something, I think he would ask us not to use his name and others who sacrificed during the civil rights era to refocus on pass achievements 50 years ago, especially after these recent DOJ decisions. I think he would have put off any celebration, even his annual King Holiday, if these celebrations were in any way going to take the focus off or dampen the spirits of the young that we were seeing in this recent uprising.

Now on a better note, I do like how the DOJ put the Ferguson Police Department on blast, causing some resignations. I just want this to continue in that police department, and the rest of the police departments in this entire country.

But it shouldn't take bad emails about the Black President of the United States to finally get these officers removed, meanwhile getting away with killing unarmed Black men.

Anyway, I'm hoping these actions by the DOJ will rekindle the fire that was lost. /QUOTE]

How does the trauma and grief ot the USA’s ongoing Civil/Human Rights struggle for African Americans compare to the highpoints of African History like the manner in which Nubia/Khemet/Egypt’s Nubian Pharaohs like Khufu [builder of the Great Pyramid at Giza] dominated virtually all of what is now regarded as the Middle East for over 3 millennia, so why is the totally emasculating defeat/disaster deadly defeat [murders like Megar Evars and Emmet Till as opposed to our in the main unacknowledged or promoted contributions in every area of human activity to technical culture over the last 5000 years] the only African History we project and promote to our people generally, our youth specifically?

Thousgh I agree that marching/protesting actually achieves little or nothing; aren’t WE actually traumatizing our youth crippling ourselves by begging our diverse array of enemies for anything, as opposed to doing the necessary with regard to intelligently organizing our families/communities/countries, the African continent with comparable pragmatic intelligence to that of some of the rest of the human family, especially the Asians in the 21st century

Don’t we have ready-made templates as currently exemplified by the Greenwood, Archer and Pine community of Tulsa, Oklahoma circa 1920 became immensely wealthy because of their rational DO FOR SELF ethos in a far more openly hostile environment than TODAY?

What about the national templates provided by Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, Thomas Sakarna in Burkina Fasso and Eric Williams’s [Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago] Federation of the West Indies template [despite the manner in which it was scuppered by that Jamaican Boulee BUFFOON Buste Mante], along with China [I visited Beijing in 2012 a very impressive/ frightening experience] and India currently being the fastest growingeconomies on the planet, as well as Cuba's achievements of the last 40 years despite STILL being under siege from the fascist wing of the USA's POWER ELITE which ALWAYS controls the USA’s government [regardless of which party is in power]?

While visiting Cuba in 2002 I witnessed first-hand their achievements of the last 55 years despite being constantly under siege [from the fascist wing of the USA's elite, which is literally going from strength to strength as illustrated by Bush’s fraudulent election victories], whereas what has really changed/ improved even during Obama’s second term [Obamacare is garbage/as medical care in the West is just another business focused on huge profits as opposed the populace’s health] as he literally has no option other than to utilize his considerable intellect/sharp wits to try to put a positive spin on the dictates of the same NEO-CON NUTCASES that were pulling his predecessor G.W. Bush Jr’s, strings?

The increasing collaboration Cuba and Venezuela/Hugo Chavez’s replacement Nicholas Maduro along with Bolivia and other countries in the region is the best news this region has had; isn’t it, because since the scuppering by that Boulé buffoon Buste Mante of Eric Williams thrust to form a federation of the West Indies in the late 1960's the non-whites in general, the peoples of African ethnicity in the Caribbean and South America Diaspora in particular have all been going backwards fast [into murderous chaos], haven't they?

Wouldn’t you all agree that both the individual and collective advancement of peoples of African ethnicity in the UK, USA, the rest of the Diaspora and Africa in an increasingly competitive/hostile environment in the 21st century now depends on a more "BIG PICTURE" approach from the top down; as opposed to us continuing to be the only ethnic group on the planet expecting our lower echelons/underclass to advance, compete with the rest of the human family on their own without being intelligently organized and led?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    New apologists

the white media mainstays are a part of the problem

they are also a part of the white status quo

etc

fyi

7. chuck