Black People : Our Rightful Place: Where do We Belong?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sodwn2earth, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    As a teenager here on destee and in the real world, I find it hard to find my rightful place. For example, it seems some adults find it uncomfortable that we venture into the relationship thread and ask and answer what some might consider intimate questions. When we ask questions about these things, we are met with "stay in school, don't do drugs, wait until your married" the usual tirade that all adults give to individuals my age. But if we were to stick to everyone's comfort zone, the teenagers of destee would not have very far to roam at all. It seems we are limited to the teenaged, poetry, and open forum. I feel that if we were to raise a question in the forum concerning men and woman, my age would be challenged and brought into question. (There are certain limitations on this though, and I understand that is not always the case.) Of course I understand everyones kind and caring concern, but sometimes a straight forward answer would be nice. Can someone please explain the role of teeagers in the destee family and community? Where exactly does the discomfort lie, and what can we do to addresse this?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i'm the culprit..........

i want to protect you.

i don't want you to get hurt or get in over your head.
    i feel very protective toward young people.
    i can understand if that may feel overbearing to you.

i'm sorry. i apologize.
    i'm not sure myself how to deal with you.

what do you all feel collectively?
    do you want to be treated like adults?
    do you all want to be down and dirty with the adult situations?
    one 18 year old said she was as mature as a 40 year old woman.
    i know that is not true. but is that how you all feel?

i think all your points are valid and you questions legit.

Destee might be better able to answer you.
    she's having puter problems right now.

BTW - do you want this in the open forum?

3. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    SD2E just go ahead and do your thing. I comment in other sections besides from the Teenage and Poetry ones, I'm pretty sure my comments/opinions are considered ignorant and/or not fully developed but I still do me. Its true that 9 times out of 10 a 18 isn't as mature as a 40 year old but I've had men old of enough to be my father give me advice that would of got me killed or hurt plenty of times.

If the elders in our society were doing what they are/were suppose to do we wouldn't even be able to fathom being able to talk among them as equals. People like James, SunShip, Aqil, and alot of others on this site are rare though.

4. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jamesfromphilly, I accept your aplogy whole-heartedly. We are not yet equipped to handle adult situations, but at the same time, it is a time of learning for our adult lives. Just beacuse a particular person were to ask a question relating to sex, does not mean that they are sexually active. It was this type of prejudgement that made me somewhat hesitant to ask questions. Personally, I feel that I must be well informed before I make such a decision and that is all I am searching for: information. I cannot speak for the rest of the teenaged community here, but that is how I feel.

And no I wouldn't mind this being in the open forum. Thanx for asking.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is a very good question Sodwn2earth! I understand your frustration in a sense, but what you have to understand that one of the goals of this website is to teach & build with its members. It is inherent in our purpose to give advice. As a result when we see a young person who is asking for advice or who seems to be struggling, we try to help. One thing also to consider is that the majority of Destee's members are adults (30+ years and up), and many of that majority are also parents. Therefore giving life advice to young people is truly second nature to us.

Believe it or not most of us can tell someone's age even if they don't give it. People of a certain age have certain experiences...they have learned particular lessons. Thus when someone asks a question, or gives a statement which demonstrates a lack of experience...the natural follow-up wil be: "How old are you?". The reality is little sister, when young people enter into adult realms, they will not be treated like adults, because they aren't. Some young people in the real world get by for a little while because they "look older" (although their true age is usually revealed when they start talking); however, on Destee young people don't have that potential advantage. On Destee our words are who we are! Our words represent our person...our experiences...our knowledge...our values...our personality. Again it is easy to tell someone's age range.

By the nature of our topics, most forums on this website aren't geared towards young people. There are some exceptions, the poetry forums obviously appeal to all ages, as does the sports forum, the college forum, and the joke forum. As far as discussing life issues...Destee made this forum, Black Teenagers, especially for you! I truly think that our young members need to take advantage of it more. One thing I can say is that too many adult members probably hang around in this forum too much (I usually see more responses by adults than teens), that is something we might want to change. In no way am I suggesting you not participate in other forums. Indeed I think young people can learn much from them. However if your goal is to participate without being given advice (which is something even us adults can't avoid), then you might want to stick with the teen forum.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the thought of teenagers and sex scares to wee out of me.
    my first instinct is to lock you in the basement until you are 35.

i do realize that i have a tendency to be overbearing, so if you feel that i am going off the deep end just call me on it.
    i am still sane enough to listen to you.

7. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    With the Black Family

Hotep

Afrikan proverb: "It takes a whole village to raise a child". Today that responsibility, honor, privilage, duty, birth right, legacy has been diluted and taken from us by the Open Enemy who rather ruine the lives of our youth with his (White man and womans) filthy system of White Supremicy and lock them awey in jails! We are only suppose to be a minority of 12% of the total population but are 85% of the prison inmates. We have another chance when we gather in (Mass) for the "Millions More Movement" in Washington DC to make concerted efforts to take back once and for all our lives from this Beast commonly called white folks today. Enough is enough!!! How much longer will we turn a blind eye to what is happening to our youth by this Open Enemy and continue to "Think" we are somehow helples to do any thing with out (White) approvel??? They will grind us into the ground if we continue to let them. Look around you! Who is bringing the Drugs from Columbia and other places? Who is supplying the Uzi from Israill, Ak-47's from Asia, Arabs from you know ware selling trash in our communities across the nation?? Who is really benifiting from the affimitive action programs our ancestors died for??? What have we to lose by standing up and takeing a firm Stand for Justice, Freedom, Equality and above all Hu-Man Rights and Independance from the Oppressors. "Our children and Old people all belong with us"!!! Not in the hands of a people the least of us know don't give a Damb!!!

Ase`

http://www.nbufront.org/html/MastersMuseums/DocBen/GGJames/OnGGJamesPhilosophyHA.html

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Most of the adults here including myself feel that certain types of activity teenagers should not be involved in. Sex is one of those activities, so yes, I would feel a bit uncomfortable discussing this topic with someone still in highschool.