Brother's Only Chat : Our Own Black People School !

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by river, May 23, 2007.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
  2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    blackboard

I spoke with a blackboard sales rep yesterday and they dont have an oferring yet targeted for the very small implementation. They will release a lghtwt version in 60 days that will cost between 10 and 15 thousand for 200 to 300 annual users. According to the rep I talked to their typical implementation for their full product is upwards of 150 thou...

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey brotha Kem,

I was thinking more along the lines of us developing an afrocentric curriculum that would prepare Black high school students for college, like what these people here are doing for the white kids. What we need is an empty environment like WebCT into which we can put the curriculum. We don't have to tell them what we want the software for and have them jack up the prices. We could even develop a clone of the more expensive environments. We have the talent to do it. Brotha Omo expressed interest in writing curriculum.

4. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    River, WebCT has merged with a company named blackboard. I don't think their pricing is going to be different based on who they think the classes will be targeted towards, but for the record I only communicated an interest in evaluating online instructional delivery tools.

I made no mention of any organization, only the approximate # of annual users.

Maybe webCT was low cost but after the merger they are upgrading their target market.

I haven't personally evaluated the software to determine if it is worth a hefty price tag...but I do think there are likely other open platforms that can suffice.

From what i've seen in the demos, it seems more like a way to deliver e-learning and canned content than live instruction.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Ok looks like WebCT is a non option. I just offered it as a possibility. Doesn't look like it is one though.

I'd like to combine e-learning with live instruction. Based on what I've seen many states requuire that homeschoolers follow the same schedule as the public schools. An e-learning evironment could help single parents who have to work meet this requirement if the environment has a way of logging the time the student spends. We would also want a way to store class materials and written handouts for on demand access to supplement live instruction.

These are suggestions. I know you guys will consider all options and come up with the best course of action.

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Alternatives to commercial CMS products.

I've used Blackboard and the old incarnation of WebCT. If I had to choose between the two of them, Blackboard was a lot more usable. The cost of it though is pretty rough to swing for smaller institutions.

There are some open-source alternatives to these paid CMS products though. It seems I don't have the post count to post links so I'll just list a few of them:

.LRN (dotlrn.org)

Sakai Project (sakaiproject.org)

Moodle (moodle.org)

There's probably more ways out there to solve the problem of providing online or hybrid courses. There's always the possibility of starting with a CMS that was developed for other purposes and modifying it to suit the needs of an online school.

7. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
  8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Oh My Gosh Family ... are we out-doing ourselves or what ????? :eeek:

Biting off more than we can chew ??!!!!?? :cake:

oh gosh ... i don't even know!

All i know is that yall have planted the seed, and it has begun to sprout up !!!! :toast:

I spent many of the last few hours installing, and trying to understand moodle!

Thank You Brother Gorilla for reminding me of it! I remember seeing it before, considering it, but was simply not at the place to even begin taking on anything new. But that has all changed, and i was moved in my Spirit to go ahead and load moodle, to see how it works and how it might be a benefit to us!

I think we need a whole new thread (and then again, maybe not), to talk about the kind of standards we are going to try and manifest, as it relates to our own, new ... BLACK PEOPLE SCHOOL ... :D

Okay ... i am not an educator, in that, i'm not trained or anything by the standards set in the world, to do such things. I think if we are really going to try and pull this off, as Sister River intimated in her opening post ... then we are going to have to set some guidelines, have some standards, high expectations, etc., to make this happen.

Again, i am not qualified to truly lead this effort, for i know so little ... but that is not the case with all of us. We are blessed to have many highly educated Sisters and Brothers in our midst, that are qualified to do the things that i cannot.

So ... let's talk about ... register ... look around and begin formulating a plan! :D

I LOVE USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :toast:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!! :toast:

http://www.blackpeopleschool.com

:heart:

Destee

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I know so little about moodle, even after spending hours with it. It is a very resource rich program, and i think it will take hours and hours to master it. With this in mind, i'm thinking that we should not post a lot of "junk" "test" classes and threads over there, in an effort to keep it clean, orderly, looking professional and real ... :)

So ... let's talk about it over here!

I think we're going to need Sisters and Brothers that are willing to teach a class, learn the ropes regarding such things, as they walk through the process of doing it. Once the first few have set up their class, then they can help the rest of us learn, or if nothing else we'll be able to watch and see how they've done it.

Anyway ... i'm thinking out loud now.

Love You!

Destee

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Imagine the home schooling impact we could have, helping Sisters and Brothers with material to help teach their babies! We can really do this Family ... oh my gosh ... yall scare me! :)

Destee