Black Women : Our Hair

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by HoneyBrown05, Apr 2, 2006.

1. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    What is about our hair that we feel the need to straightened it?
    What is wrong with being natural or nappy?
    Why is it that when I am around a white woman at some point she flips her hair then smirks? What does that mean, is it a racial gesture? Does it have to do with society's standard on beauty? There are alot of things that I am starting to notice as I get older that I do not understand.
    For example, I asked myself why do we as black women wear scarfs? Then I answered to myself, maybe because during slavery times, black women wore scarfs to keep their heads cool while they were out in the cotton fields. What is the real reason, am I right?

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    HoneyBrown05.....

HoneyBrown:" What is about our hair that we feel the need to straightened it?
    What is wrong with being natural or nappy?"

Most of us women want to 'fit in'. We have a grade of hair that is very unique and flexible, but still yearn to blend. Only a couple other races have a similar hair structure.

HoneyBrown: "Why is it that when I am around a white woman at some point she flips her hair then smirks? What does that mean, is it a racial gesture?"

Women can be catty. Yes, IMO, it is a racial gesture. I've experienced that plenty of times too. When that happens, usually, it is a sign of her envying something about you that she doesn't possess. It's their way of saying: "You may have that gorgeous color, full lips, voluptuous body, and BW sex appeal, but at least I have the hair that 80% of your kind spends thousands to obtain!"

HoneyBrown: "For example, I asked myself why do we as black women wear scarfs? Then I answered to myself, maybe because during slavery times, black women wore scarfs to keep their heads cool while they were out in the cotton fields."

There are many reasons why BW wear scarves-convenience, culture. True, BW wore scarves in colonial days either out of shame of her hair, or for protection from the weather/sun. Sadly, some of us still lug around the slave mentality (do-rags in public, or wearing fake/altered hair constantly*).

I've noticed the trend of BW going natural:). However, not all BW who alter their hair have self-hate issues. You have to remember our hair is flexible, and some of the styles we like to rock require some straightening.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,742
    straightened hair causes fibroids.........:coffee:

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Uh, OH, another one of THESE threads again, huh???

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Yes Brother Isaiah, our dear Sister HoneyBrown is new to the Forums. I don't believe she has fully surfed through the thousands of threads/topics we have here. So it seems that her interest in this topic has something to do with her personal experiences in this area.

Sister HoneyB, Brother Isaiah is pointing out the fact that we've discussed the issue around our hair on numerous occasions. You may want to surf through the threads to review them but if you feel there is more that you would like to add, feel free to do so.

Queenie :spinstar:

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Yeeeep, among other things. :fyi:

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I been rolling wit Natural Girls for the last 3 years now. It was the best change of my life.

8. Sweet_C

Sweet_C Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this true??? :eek: Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I'm a newbie.

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, while there probably was a shame component attached to slaves using scarves, they are also popular with traditional African fashion. And they can be very beautiful if accessorized with the right outfit.

10. KappaAlphaPsi

KappaAlphaPsi Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Im wondering is it such a big deal how a woman wears her hair as long as she likes it