Black Women : OUR FAILURE TO SUPPORT BLACK WOMEN...

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Isaiah, May 16, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I would like to know from sisters HOW you feel African men have failed to support you, and if there are honest solutions that can be rendered by us to ameliorate this problem???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Whenever a man fails to realize that Black men were not the only ones on those boats and in those fields, it is a slap in the face of Black women everywhere. Learning to LISTEN and be aware of the problems that are unique to Black women would be nice.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Actually, sister BlackLioness, according to Destee, Black Women are RESPONSIBLE for the Black Man's lack of support for Black Women... I guess that means this thread was unnecessary...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Please don't put words in my mouth, or outright lie on me. I never said any such thing.

The Family is welcome to review what i did say, if this is the thread you're referencing.

:heart:

Destee

5. Sanaiah25

Sanaiah25 Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are black men also responsible for any lack of understanding on the part of black women?

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister, I started this thread because I feel that we can support African women a lot more... Why in hell you are choosing to ask me this question, rather deal with the gist of what this post is about is on you, dig...

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    I'm not putting words in your mouth, and truly hope folks will read what you said in that thread... It is most easy to infer that you feel that people are RESPONSIBLE for the responses they get from others... I asked you a number of questions which attempted to get clarity on that position, and you just kept on confirming that that was your position...

I asked you if African Women, for example, were responsible for their brutalization by Black Men, and you siad Yes to that... Now, you want to deny that you said that, but those were your word, and I take no responsibility for what you said... I don't believe in your philosophy... I believe that when I treat someone nicely, and they decide they wanna Kick Me In My Teeth, that's on them, that's their choice... You, obviously, think differently, and that is your choice...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Brother Isaiah, please allow me to bring the focus of the discussion back to your original question and away from a personal "confrontation" with Destee, if I may.

Personally, I don't believe that Black men have failed to support me directly or indirectly. In general, Black men and Black women may have differences in the way they perceive the same situation but I don't know that I would interpret our differences as their failure to support me, UNLESS, a Black man has made a promise to support me and fails to live up to the promise when he had the ability to control the outcome, then I would think that he failed to support me.

But keep in mind that the reverse holds true for Black women and I know this deviates from the question, but I firmly believe that people will tend to receive what they give.

What I think Black men and Black women can do better is active communication (which includes listening) and (maybe) learning how to compromise.

9. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    nuggets of wisdom

I think Destee and Zay might need to go get a room and work this out :massage:

10. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6

Sis. aren't some promises implied or interwoven in the fabric of relationships or to be just taken for granted? Or should we take nothing for granted and have no expectations of support or protection--unless the person specifically tells us they've got our back?