Science and Technology : OS Combat - Ubuntu Linux Versus Vista

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Apr 27, 2007.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    (Essentially, the article suggests that it's a tie, which is generally a "win" for the "underdog". However, throughout the article are "sub conclusions" that, when tallied, seem to show Ubuntu with a few more "wins".)

Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Is Linux finally ready to take on Windows as a desktop OS? We tried out both Vista and Ubuntu on individual PCs to see which works better. Here's who won.

By Serdar Yegulalp, InformationWeek
    April 27, 2007

The prevailing wisdom about Linux on the desktop runs something like this: "I'll believe Linux is ready for the desktop as soon as you can give me a Linux distribution that even my grandmother can run."

For some time, the folks at Ubuntu have been trying their best to make Granny -- and most everyone else -- happy. They've attempted to build a Linux distribution that's easy to install, use, configure, and maintain -- one that's at least as easy as Windows, and whenever possible, even easier. As a result, Ubuntu is one of the Linux distributions that has been most directly touted as an alternative to Windows.

In this feature, I'm going to compare the newly-released Ubuntu 7.04 (codenamed "Feisty Fawn") with Microsoft Windows Vista in a number of categories. To keep the playing field as level as possible, I'm looking wherever I can at applications -- not just in the sense of "programs," but in the sense of what the average user is going to do with the OS in a workday. Sometimes the differences between the two OSes are profound, but sometimes the playing field levels itself -- OpenOffice.org, for instance, is installed by default in Ubuntu, but adding it to Vista isn't terribly difficult.

I tried to stick whenever possible with preinstalled software, although this rule sometimes had to be bent a little -- for instance, to see what backup solutions were available for Ubuntu through its own software catalog.

Also, while I was tempted to compare Vista's Aero interface to the Beryl window manager (which has a similar palette of visual effects), I decided that pretty graphics, while nice, had more to do with personal preference than efficiency. In addition, Beryl isn't installed by default in Ubuntu, and Aero isn't available on all PCs.

In each case, I've tried to look at practical benefits rather than theoretical ones -- what works, what doesn't, and what you have to do to get certain things done. I should also note that, despite being a big fan of Vista, I've tried to keep my enthusiasm for it from overriding my judgment. Everyone needs something different, and not everyone needs (or wants) Vista -- or Ubuntu -- so I've done my best to keep my mind, and my eyes, wide open.

[...]

The Last Word: Ubuntu's best strength is handling the ordinary task-based day-to-day stuff. Vista has a level of completeness and polish that some people find it hard to do without.

(printable version

(It seems to simply boil down to "substance" vs "form": Ubuntu "just works" whereas Vista "looks better".)

2. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    The winner by habitual knockout is...........Ubuntu!!

I really enjoy these comparison battles but it is hard to have a balanced compare if you have used either platform for some time. Habitual use brings out an appreciation of things of a subjective nature, stuff you must have because you are use to it. With Linux, free is a good motive. Look at what you can have for free. If you are skeptical, you just need to try it and it will begin to grow on you. Hey this ain't bad!, not bad at all! Presently I dual-boot Xubuntu and XP Pro. Xubuntu is less of a bother to use, with fewer annoyances and quicker response. Vista, well it requires bigger and better hardware than XP and the graphical desktop is more cumbersome than Ubuntu's. Vista is like driving a Hummer, Ubuntu is like driving a Hummer with sports car feel and handling, yet is fully loaded, no extra charge. Vista has state of the art graphics, better with state of the art hardware. Ubuntu has OK basic graphics and can be tweaked, ramped up and customized to the penny arcade standard. Vista is just now trying to manage multiple open windows with Aero desktop. Linux has had multiple virtual desktops for years now.

Vista is a focused product for your consumption. The design concessions and marketing decisions that brought it to you intend that you would want what they have to offer enough to pay for it. Linux is offered as a free OS to try. If you like it enough to use it, you can support it with your dollars, if you wish. It is what coders have done for themselves and for you. Being a long time Linux user I have to ask , is Vista ready for the desktop?

3. rnojonson

Ratings:
    +16
    OS battle revisited

The battle for the desktop has been brewing for a while. In the air is the distinct smell of Vista resistance. If you buy a new PC or laptop, most likely you will be stuck with Vista, want it or not. MS is not gonna fix it, you will have to accept it as is, and/or lament the slow agonizing death of XP. Well, I don't anticipate having a Vista machine anytime soon as I have fully given in to Ubuntu Linux. I do see that Vista intended to be an improvement of XP. From what I have seen of Vista on the laptops of my daughter and other friends is that the desktop itself (though prettier) has not changed. You still have to go through layers of stuff to get to your files and even the applications themselves. If it were not for desktop icon shortcuts that you make for yourself, there is no quick way to do anything. The file system for each user is cumbersome instead of being simple and direct. The file system manager that is buried in Accessories is more efficient than MY Computer is, try to find it!! I am picking but I know Ubuntu has flaws too. You have to have app windows open to be able to cut and paste between them, no clipboard save when apps are closed. At least you can find your applications without clicking through extra layers and the files under your user name are also one click away. Linux Torvalds the Linux inventor said that the OS should be transparent to the user. It is the means to get to the applications and your user files. The OS is not the main show. MS has a different philosophy. My feeling is like this. You may buy and be inspired about owning name-brand shoes, but guys with the best engineered sneakers in the world are consistently beaten by guys whose shoes are made from recycled tire treads.

4. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    Ubuntu is just as much of a big, sloppy hog as Vista.

5. rnojonson

Ratings:
    +16
    who's the alpha hog?

I think you are right about Ubuntu, but this dog has less fleas so a flea collar suffices. With Vista, you need a collar on neck and the tail, plus spray, and pills, shots and an occasional suppository (and a keep off the dog sign to hang on the dog). I would even have a "this is a cat" alias to redirect fleas to other dogs. Oh, you said "hog" not "dog", eeeoooo!

I just had a friend call me, he downloaded a MS security update from MS for Vista. It hosed his laptop. Of course the techies "couldn't" retrieve his memoirs and erased/reformatted his hard drive.

I tell people not to buy a huge internal hard drive. 60 to 120 gig is plenty for putting MS anything on a drive "by itself." Buy an external, portable USB drive for your precious personal data. You have to protect your data from MS OS entrapment. I would do the same for any OS just to be safer.

Then if you can run Vista, you probably want to consider Win7, the hog doo is not deep there yet.

Is there a better Linux than Ubuntu? I don't know. I have used leaner Linuxes and they are snappier but usually require more hands-on skills than average users want to be involved with.
    Note the use of leaner and snappier and hands-on skills and..... anyway lean beacon requires sharper kitchen skills, could burn in a hurry. A little fat is easier to cook and taste more like beacon instead of hot jerky.