Ethiopia : Oromo Protests: Why Ethiopia's Largest Ethnic Group Is Demonstrating

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Oromo Protests: Why Ethiopia's Largest Ethnic Group Is Demonstrating

Since the Ethiopian government announced plans to expand the territory of the capital Addis Ababa in April 2014, the country’s largest region, Oromia, has been racked with protests that have led to hundreds of deaths ...

http://www.newsweek.com/oromo-protests-why-ethiopias-biggest-ethnic-group-demonstrating-430793

oromo-people-mourn-death-suspected-protester-allegedly-shot-ethiopian-security-forces.jpg

Oromo people mourn a suspected protester who was allegedly shot dead by Ethiopian security forces, Oromia region, Ethiopia, December 17, 2015. Oromos have been protesting against plans to expand the capital Addis Ababa since November 2015.ZACHARIAS ABUBEKER/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Everytime I read about the strife in Africa I'm reminded of a comment I heard on a video I have. This Elder, who's a keeper of the African history said that these problems really started when whites invaded Africa. They re-drew established boundaries that was centuries old to accommodate the whites.

Peace!

Everytime I read about the strife in Africa I'm reminded of a comment I heard on a video I have. This Elder, who's a keeper of the African history said that these problems really started when whites invaded Africa. They re-drew established boundaries that was centuries old to accommodate the whites.

Peace!

Yep, that's it, the Elder hits the nail on the head. Its known as Africa's Tumult, or at least I describe it that way in Does Color Matter? :)

The 'Ethiopia rising' narrative and the Oromo protests

Oromos have been the victims of indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks in the hands of security forces

So much for the "Ethiopia rising" meme which Ethiopian authorities ostentatiously promote to camouflage the repressive nature of the state.

A new report published by Human Rights Watch on the Oromo protests depicts a disturbing picture of a government that thrives on systematic repression and official violence ...

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...narrative-oromo-protests-160620140306460.html

35bfcbbd15aa42a8b2b846037d676822_18.jpg

Ethiopian migrants, all members of the Oromo community of Ethiopia living in Malta, protest in Valletta, Malta, December 2015 [Reuters]

The 'Ethiopia rising' narrative and the Oromo protests

Oromos have been the victims of indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks in the hands of security forces

So much for the "Ethiopia rising" meme which Ethiopian authorities ostentatiously promote to camouflage the repressive nature of the state.

A new report published by Human Rights Watch on the Oromo protests depicts a disturbing picture of a government that thrives on systematic repression and official violence ...

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...narrative-oromo-protests-160620140306460.html

35bfcbbd15aa42a8b2b846037d676822_18.jpg

Ethiopian migrants, all members of the Oromo community of Ethiopia living in Malta, protest in Valletta, Malta, December 2015 [Reuters]

Yes I also do know a little about the sad legecy of Italian colonialism too!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back