African Traditional Religion : Orisa Worshipper Practices

BrownSkyn

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 14, 2010
Alaafia,

I have a question for those involved in the Orisa/Ifa tradition, especially those who are initiated: What kinds of rituals or practices do you recommend in order to facilitate growth, spiritual and self-awareness, and understanding of egun and orisa and how they work in one's life.

I ask this question because it seems like there is very little, from what I have seen, instruction on how to develop spiritually within the Orisa/Ifa tradition. It seems that more attention is directed to receiving orisas or going through ceremonies than on how to become better and more self-aware people. Christians read and study the Bible and go to church...Muslims read and study the Quran and go to the masjid...Buddhists and Hindus meditate and chant...so what do Orisa worshippers do?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

No responses? :(

:geek:
Hello BrownSkyn,

Try these two sites ileorunmilaoshun.org and honor-ur-ancestors.com its a start if you are interested in learning / understanding the ways of Ifa (African) and or Santeria (Cuban – Spanish (?)) religion. Personally I wouldn’t call it a religion. I would call it a way of life. Changing your life your personal developing Good Character (Ori - your head- your spirit) the inner you. Because you have to live it in order to understand it. But the best teacher is a Priest or Priestess of the religion. But they will come in due time. There are hundreds sites on the internet about Ifa and Santeria. Just use good judgment on what you are digesting mentally and spiritually. You got good and bad information floating around in
cyber space.

Also…..
This first thing I would do is set up an Altar or a Boveda (they are both the same) for your Eguns (ancestors). I hope the information I've given you will be helpful - for this is all I know.

I pray you find joy on your spiritual journey.

Egun-The Ancestors
Egun is the collective representation of the Ancestors.We often call our Ancestors by the name, Egun, which in Yoruba language means bones.

As we walk upon the Earth our feet press against the bones of the Ancestors on whose shoulders we stand. Like most indigenous cultures of the world, Africans believe that those who go before us make us what we are. When we walk on the Earth, we literally stand on the shoulders of those who bodies have been committed to the soil, the water, and the wind. Our Ancestors influence our lives through heredity and human culture. However, there is an even deeper connection to the Ancestors as active spirits who continue to influence our lives. We humans honor them with altars, music and prayer. They in turn offer us guidance, protection and prosperity.