Black Positive People : Orinn Hudson/BE SOMEONE

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by cherryblossom, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    http://besomeone.org/

Orrin C. Hudson is the founder of Be Someone, a non-profit crime prevention program. Hudson spearheads the organization’s charge to fulfill its mission: to build character, hope and inspiration among disadvantaged youth and individuals, allowing them to set and achieve lifetime goals, realize their full potential and ‘Be Someone.’

The seventh of 13 children, Hudson grew up in public housing in Birmingham, Ala., finding himself in-and-out of foster care. As a teenager, he was stealing tires and struggling in school until James Edge, his high school English teacher, taught Hudson the game of chess.

"With his help, I began to understand life through a chessboard. He showed me that every move you make has consequences and in order to improve my game and my life, I had to make better choices,” says Hudson. “I slowly realized that I was responsible for my own success or failure."

Chess helped improve Hudson’s focus – and helped him develop the analytical-thinking skills needed to make the winning move. Hudson went on to win the Birmingham City Chess Championship in 1999, and again in 2000, despite being the lowest-ranking player in the tournament on both occasions.

In 2001, Hudson learned of an incident in which seven Wendy’s employees were shot, five of whom died – for a mere $2,400. It was this tragic incident that inspired Hudson to quit his job and use his life savings to found Be Someone.

A teacher, motivational speaker and author, he has taught thousands focus and decision-making skills through the game of chess. Hudson’s book “One Move at a Time” eloquently weaves chess strategy with 20 important life lessons in a suitable read for all ages.