Omowale Jabali : Origins of the Word "Africa"

Discussion in 'Omowale Jabali' started by Omowale Jabali, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is in response to another thread. This is based on a topic of debate that has gone on for generations and I am sure other posts or threads here have attempted to explain the correct or incorrect usage of the word "Africa". I'm going to take a different approach to this first by asking a question.

Can someone quote historical evidence supporting the claim that "Africa" is a term that was NOT used by the people of Africa prior to the advent of modern history and archaeology?

My second question is based on a number of different THEORIES concerning the etymology of the word "Africa" where is there evidence in African historical writings prior to 1609 not only using the word "Africa" but ascribing the etymology of this word to a Roman general?

Just to be upfront with this, any material listed needs to pre-date the writings of the following.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Africanus

2. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Odwirafo

:em2700:

http://www.odwirafo.com/

3. ang-EL

ang-EL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +50
    Receive with honor

Before I officially respond to the questions at hand I would like to say you are my brother. Both physically and intellectualy. We both have the same mission in general and we both have race pride....I love you brother. Any debates we have are under love, truth, peace, freedom, and justice....

One thought comes to mind in retrospect. The Native Americans refer to themselves as Indians does that make it a correct identification.... The last I checked Indians are from India... Just proof that the European psycology is strong enough to manipulate ones own perspective of themselves.

4. ang-EL

ang-EL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +50
    I must attend sunday school so I will be back in a few hours peace.

5. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    i've heard the same arguement about the word "AFRICA"

myself and would be interested in hearing some of the Destee pham's
    position on this subject

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    yes indeedy! that works for me!

first thing i thought when i hit that home page was something about this site looks familiar ...

thank you very much for this link, myBrother!

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    don't respond to me "ang-el". (whenever i see this handle i see "anglo", or "angle" ... right up until the rather "obvious" jumps at me and then i think "d'evil" ...)
    gotta laugh.

here comes something of import to us and you've got to run off to the brainwashing of your master before you can respond? lol

you really couldn't be a further slap in the face to Africans if you tried ... smh

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I can not speak for "Native Americans" as some identify as "American Indians" such as the American Indian Movement.

Who am I to argue with Russell Means, Dennis Banks or Leonard Peltier. Furthermore, you are speaking to me in english and attempting to define terminology in the english tongue not the "mother tongue" or "native tongue".

In another thread I posted a map illustrating the travel routes of Ibn Battuta. I do not see a "Nation" known as "India" at that specific time era just as I see no "Nation" or region known as "Arabia". Or the Names "Africa" or "Europe" or "Asia" for that matter, either as "Nations" or "Continents".

However I do know a few things. The word "Indian" itself is a misnomer. When columbus set sail he was supposedly searching for spices from "India". Some "American Indiands" are also referred as "Amerinds". Again, do you even have a clue when this word "Indian" came to be referred to a specific geographic location and/or designation of a "Nation" or group of people?

Perhaps you overlooked something .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinid_dynasty

*smh*

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Exactly!

Brother Ra Nehem also has a my space profile and I knew of his post here before creating this thread. Here is the original post but I think he created another thread more recently.

http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=175723&postcount=1

What truly distrubs me at times is when people make claims then pose arguments which diametrically contract their own claims.

Here is another link.

http://www.sunnah.org/history/precolmb.htm

Here are a few points I feel need to be made.

First, it is fact that the word "Africa" is an anglocized version of the Moorish "Ifirqiyah". However, brother Ra Nehem gives us the variation in what is closer to the original terminology according to the Akan tradition.
    Thus, I must view this as a "survivalism" from the Akan tradition.

Secondly, the term "Indian" is also a misnomer and anglocized variation of the terminology used in reference to the Merinid Dynasty. Georgraphically the Merinds were closer related to the Akan than the english.

Third, while europe was steeped in the Dark Ages, there were principal centers of learning and cultural traditions such as Timbuktu, Alhambra and one more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agra

From a cultural context a "Merinid" and a "Agrabani" were linked. This was known as early as the 2nd century when Ptolomy the geographer travelled the known word.

Not much variance between the word "Agra" and the word "Accra".

I will deal with this later.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    The funny thing is I was supposed to go to a New Members class at church this morning and didnt make it thinking that I was exchanging with a brother claiming the teachings of Noble Drew Ali.