Black People : Organizing the youth (tips/advice?)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ikoro, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    My people...

I post this here in the "Open Forum", for I would like as much input as possible.

Where I currently reside, I am Deputy Manager, Project Coordinator and Organizational Secretary of an Afrikan organization for youth. I am leading a project which is about empowerment through music.

As we know, our youth really love their music. Sadly, in many societies, many of our youth have no platform to express their love. As a consequence of this we have prominent lyricists and singers who, due to socio-economical situations, cannot afford studio-time, singing-lessons, guidance, promotion etc.

The project in which I am involved is about aiding these youth in all of the above, and expressing themselves, gaining insight on the music industry, empowerment, identity and Afrikan culture. It has been very successful in the past, where we have even released a CD and hoster several parties.

But times change, and so must out methods for appealing to the youth.

What I am asking is, for those who have worked with Afrikan youth, for those who have organized events, get-togethers and for those who have recruited and gathered the youth;

Can you hook a brotha up with the 4-1-1 on how to better gather the youth for workshops?

I know that the easiest way to approach our youth is by mingling with them, distributing flyers, talking with them, maybe even drop a freestyle etc.

But what do you say to them? What do you put on the flyers? For one who does not dress like he is a member of G-Unit or the NWA, how does one go about appealing to the youth?

It is easy to be motivated for the love one has for his people and simply saying "This is for you little brother, be there. Free food!", but this does not always bring them in.

So, tips, suggestions etc?

Thank you all in advance,

One Love

~Ikoro

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    This is a good question and one that I'm not sure how to respond to. It is said that opposites attract. To attract or get the attention of anyone, you have to somehow be in their scope of observation, either physically or through some other means of communication--written or verbal. I would think that then, the message being sent must be compelling enough such that those who hear it and become interested, will seek more information. From my personal experience, this can be very challenging because we might think something is interesting won't always be thought of the same way as others. What are the types of things that most younger people seem to be interested in these days? You might want to consider doing a survey of a select group and see how they respond, then see whether you can deliver your message in a way that would be of interest to them.

Queenie :heart:

3. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Three areas I would have fun with youths on to help them get together

is

1) jobs and job development (interning, internet matters, etc,give contacts in different cities or towns since youths like the idea of travel especially summer)

College students go across the country during college break to small towns and cities across america to help out (build houses, restore historical sites, etc) and alot of time they get paid for it. These college students also help people from our poor communities.

I dont see why our youths cannot be invovled in similarly matters. To see more of us out there would be great.

2) relationships (get a girl, get a guy all with style - like a show to SING to your LADY and KEEP her, etc)

3) education (host financial aid application seminars to use to pay for local colleges (good for single mothers who have child and young girls and guys in general), getting a drivers license/state id, etc)

add some music, food, concerned adults I dont see where you can go wrong.

These have been tried before so maybe I am not adding anything NEW persay. Just my opinion i suppose.

4. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Thank you NNQueen, for your input. It is duely noted, and will be reviewed when I attempt to set up somekind of plan :)

Thanks to you, dustyelbow, for those points. Will note them down.

Any one else?

Is it really so that our community does not concern itself with actually physically reaching out to the youth?

Come on now, any tips at all on how to approach our young'ns would be appreciated.

~Ikoro

5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

Looks like you are headed in the right direction Brother Ikoro; much needed in our communities;)

As far as the financial aspect of things: Although I haven't much experience in working with youth betterment; I have volunteered time at Homeless Teen Centers. Most youth tend to gravitate toward events such as: Fund-raising talentshows, or fund-raising car-washes...which both would bring in revenue that will finance any marketing strategy: transportation, renting meeting halls or conference rooms, cost of printing eye-catching flyers, et cetera. Money-making ALWAYS motivates. In turn, you can generate the hard-earned revenue toward the studio time, singing lessons and mentoring; as you mentioned in your post.

As far as networking: You can send out flyers, or post bulletins on high school and Community and University College campuses. You may even contact your local radio station and request they send out word of up & coming events; leave flyers in bookstores, libraries, and other places where intelligent progressive- minded youth frequent.

Hope I didn't stray the topic. Good luck in your venture.

PEACE

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey brotha Ikoro.

I want to say look under the surface. All children have the same basic needs though these needs may be expressed and met in differing ways. We all need to feel:

1. loved
    2. wanted
    3. capable
    4. like we belong

If you offer the music in a way that makes the children feel these needs will be met they will come. The word is still out--Keep It Real.

What Dusty said about having a show is an excellent idea. Maybe you could get a few cats to do a street show playing a saxophone on the corner or something and when the kids come to see what's going on then you can tell them about how they can learn to play instruments too.

7. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    I would say you have to develop a relationship with a few young people that can take ownership of the idea and start recruiting their peers. Initiatives that involve youth must give them a place in decision-making, whether that is helping decide workshop topics, leading up the recruitment, or helping facilitate. Getting a few 'older' youth who may be of college age or upperclassmen in high school can more easily appeal to their slightly younger peers.