Black People : Optimism vs realism: Which is better, and why?

I would have to ask you for some clarification here.>>>>

1. In EVERY situation or scenario, does it have to be EITHER/OR?...Must one face/deal with/view EVERY obstacle, event, or decision with OPTIMISM or REALISM?

2. In YOUR OPINION, is "rose colored glasses" the same as "OPTIMISM" or "DENIAL?"

3. In YOUR OPINION, is "REALISM" synonymous with "PESSIMISM?"
I would have to ask you for some clarification here.>>>>

1. In EVERY situation or scenario, does it have to be EITHER/OR?...Must one face/deal with/view EVERY obstacle, event, or decision with OPTIMISM or REALISM?

2. In YOUR OPINION, is "rose colored glasses" the same as "OPTIMISM" or "DENIAL?"

3. In YOUR OPINION, is "REALISM" synonymous with "PESSIMISM?"

Your questions are actually thoughts I had, which drove me to post this question. I know plenty of people who do feel that there is no such thing as being a realist, because anyone who feels the need to address or point out anything negative is in fact a pessimist. Do i believe this? Not at all- in my opinion, I think being realistically optimistic :) is the best way to go, in any situation.
However I do feel that seeing things through "rose colored glasses" is the same as denial, and that no one can effectively and truthfully handle a given situation while"wearing" them and that it really does more harm than good in the long run.

Your questions are actually thoughts I had, which drove me to post this question. I know plenty of people who do feel that there is no such thing as being a realist, because anyone who feels the need to address or point out anything negative is in fact a pessimist. Do i believe this? Not at all- in my opinion, I think being realistically optimistic :) is the best way to go, in any situation.
However I do feel that seeing things through "rose colored glasses" is the same as denial, and that no one can effectively and truthfully handle a given situation while"wearing" them and that it really does more harm than good in the long run.

Okay.....Well, here is my viewpoint/perspective:

As I go through life, my decisions and choices are a combination of REALITY and OPTIMISM. ---I use my BRAIN to assess and manipulate a situation REALISTICALLY, doing what I can to resolve it (and sometimes, it's best to do NOTHING but, instead, WAIT and SEE).

Then, I use my FAITH to approach it and view it OPTIMISTICALLY.

I don't regard my FAITH as "rose colored glasses." - For me, it is my "insurance" and "assurance" that God will work it out to my good and will see me through whatever it is when I seek his direction.

Heb. 11:
[1] Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Prov. 3:

[6] In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Use both.

Flip between the two like those little toy viewmaster toys. Usually the two views are at opposite ends of the spectrum, but it's probably hardest to land perfectly in the middle of both to form a balanced view. It's also probably the case that the worst possible scenario someone can extrapolate or imagine ever happens, as is the same with the most optimistic scenario.

Each one can probably provide some value as a perspective and some probably pay stronger to certain contexts. If you're trying to plan for worst case scenarios, pessimism isn't a bad tool. If you're trying to say work on a personal habit or characteristic, believing you can change it within reason probably doesn't hurt.

Figure out which one you have a habit on leaning on, and try to view things from the other approach.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back