Black People : Oprah's Africa

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, May 25, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i just got done watching Oprah. from this and previous shows, i get the idea that africa is a pretty horrible place. nothing but africans doing bad stuff to other africans.
    i get the impression that the best thing an african can do is get out of there and come to America and get with some white people. oh, and get a perm.
    white people are seen as the saviors. if it wasn't for some "good' white people all of the africans would be lost.
    that is my impression from watching Oprah.
    sad.

2. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    What was on OPRAH?

Many people say Africa is a horrible place. I think it is not. And I think many Africans are working to change it. And change is happening, inch by inch. We don't need any saviours.

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    the show was about some Rawandan girls.
    she showed how they had hidden while their family had been killed.
    then they had come to america and were in school with white kids and had perms in their hair.
    then at the end she reunited them with some of their family members that Oprah had located.

Oprah has had other shows where she has african girls tell how they were raped.
    she puts all these horrible crimes on TV.
    she has never had a show about colonialism.

if you get your information from Oprah, you would form the opinion that africa is a horrible place with african men raping and abusing everyone who they can.
    she makes it seem as if getting with white people is an africans only salvation.

between Oprah and Bill Cosby, black people are being painted in a very systematic way as being no good.
    these two are veterans of media and they use it very skillfully to show black people in a bad light.
    they use the fact that they are black to add weight to their media message.
    they are black people declaring what white people have taught all along.
    that black people are no good.

THAT WHITE PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAVE TO SAVE US FROM OURSELVES.

they give white people a free pass. they demonize black people.
    they have each grown wealthy making white people feel good.

they do the devils work for him.

4. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I dont watch oprah.
    Oprah hasn't been black since O.J turned white!
    Figure that one out!
    They are what I call convenient African Americans.
    When it's ok to be black they usually need us to get them out of trouble or be on their sides when the whites rejcect them for one reason or a another!
    As long as whites are smiling so are they!
    Africa is not and never will be a horrible place!

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother James, please calm down...

Oprah has a colonized mind just as many millions, and millions of people of African descent, but that's no reason to shred and savage the sister, and call her out of her name... She is not a devil, but a sister who needs the knowledge you've gained to grow... Based on what I've seen of the sister, she is growing... She had a terribly traumatic childhood brother, and that is why she gets quite excited, particularly when it comes to issues of rape.

As we read yesterday in the post by sister Vandella, RWANDA is not the only trouble spot in Africa - and to be perfectly honest with you I don't want our evils swept under the rug... I don't want it all passed off to our colonization either, because that presumes AFrican people are children, and don't have to take ANY responsibility for OUR ACTIONS... Long before colonialism, AFrica had TRIBALISM, which made us all ripe for colonialism... We've got a real bad habit of not taking responsibility for our own actions, like we were just all perfect before the White Man and ARABS entered the picture... That's nonsense...

Of course, that's no reason to savage one another, as our "imperfections", as it were, only point out that we are HUMAN BEINGS... HUMAN BEINGS make mistakes, and have weaknesses which they must strengthen and correct... At present, African people seem to think the ONLY corrective needed is to obliterate White Man from our consciousness... I assure you, brother, we will still be left with our colonized minds, as you say, were all the White Folks in the world wiped out tomorrow mornin'... And what would all of these colonized minds do then??? Why, of course, they'd still be blaming White boys for the next millenia for all our ills...

At least Oprah, with her colonized mind, builds homes for African people in Mississippi who were scourged and driven out by Hurricane Katrina... I would that this is not the work of a devil, to clothe, feed, and shelter people... If it is, then there are even BIGGER devils out there for us to shred and savage... Where are the homes FARRAKHAN has built in New Orleans??? Why has he not bought the land back to build homes for our people in that city??? I don't mind us questioning anyone, but let's be fair in our criticism...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Brother, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Oprah is NOT a devil, but neither is she an angel. I spoke to this type of extreme thinking that many of us engage in the other day. Most people are somewhere between these extreme opposites--neither angels or devils, neither perfect nor totally imperfect, etc.

I also think most Black people expect too much of high profile Black people who we turn into gods and goddesses and then expect them to act as such. Why are we always looking to others to lead us to the 'promised land'? Why can't we regular folks organize ourselves to do all these things that we want Oprah and Bill to do? Nothing is stopping us but OURSELVES. And I'd bet that if large numbers of us did organize ourselves, the likes of Oprah and Bill WOULD get behind us. In my life, I've discovered that others will help you if you are trying to help yourself.

I realize that people like Oprah, Bill, and Farrakhan have money and other resources, but from an economics:book: point of view, "people" are also a resource. So regular people like us are also a resource and there are a lot of us. See, we're rich in resources because we're the resource itself. We're rich and don't seem to know it. lol

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    I'm just a little bit tired of us coming to Destee's Dot Com, and saying we shouldn't be critical of one another, but it's open season on some of us... I don't understand that...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    and what was the devil's greatest trick? to convince you that he does not exist...........

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    James, as an atheist, how do you believe an "devil?" How is that possible? Is this some more of that mystical magical African stuff???(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    As it pertains to Oprah, I agree 100% Brother J. And while it's certainly not just her, she has the largest influence that I can think of. I believe she portrays the image that whites WANT America to have, just like the Long's, Dollar's, and other mega-church pastors. They play it very safe, do as whitey suggests, and they get very rich as a consequence.

But beyond that, I think that it's odd how depressingly awful other countries can be, and how grand everything "must" be in America. I very rarely see anyone speaking on how bad the situation is here and devising for reasoning ways to assist those in need HERE. Is it bc Western Blacks are assumed to be doing well so long as they follow the system and assimilate accordingly? This is surely the image I receive. No one of considerable influential power speaks on behalf of Blacks' plight here in America.. except Bill Cosby. I actually appreciate that he speaks as such, because Blacks are in a state of little to no good here and abroad. Not that we, ourselves, are no good. But rather, we have very problematic issues that I think should definitely be addressed.
    Bill actually did a tape a long while back documenting the different ways Black youth think of themselves vs how whites think of themselves. He showed drawings and such, and you could really appreciate the evident self-hate and the detriment in which we have been systematically placed. Then he showed the difference between those Blacks in white schools and those in an all Black male class being taught by a Black male. The difference was dramatic. So he wasn't in any way suggesting that we need whites at all. Now that I think of it, this had a profound effect on my desire to teach.

But that Oprah I think has convinced herself that she is doing the right thing. While I do appreciate the positive strides she's made for Blacks, I really believe that she has managed to "justify" her position. But then again, she is a Sister who has been abused and scarred. So her perspective is going to differ from my own.

From what I can gather, Bill Cosby was attempting to purchase CBS so that he could be in control of our image and change it from that which you speak to one more positive. That's when his son was murdered. If Oprah chose a more radical approach to her discussion topics and subsequent images, she would also face a similar tragedy. Or, at bare minimum, her lesbian secret would be revealed.