Pan Africanism : Oprah Winfrey is a Zulu

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Jun 16, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4096706.stm

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i thought she was talking about Africa Bambaatta

3. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    Very interesting! It's good for her if the research are true.

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I always thought Zulus were tall somewhat muscular people.

Also, I thought most of our people came from West Africa while the Zulus dwelt primarily in south-east Africa.

I have a friend who is of the Shona tribe and she explained to me that the Shona and Zulus are part of the much larger Bantu ethnic tribe.

Perhaps the DNA matched because both the Zulus as well as Oprah's ancestral tribe were both part of the much broader Bantu tribe.

Or

Perhaps she really is descended from Zulus.

5. Kwango_Likemba

Ratings:
    +11
    Ralfa'il, here we go again, the typical nonsense! Tell me if African Americans are a 'tribe' ??? Why you immediately use the word "tribe" for the Shona, the Zulu and the Bantu people? You have the nerve to use the word 'tribe' for groups of people who trace their heritage to great kingdoms and composed thousands of local communities and developed sophisticated trade routes? You speak the same language as white racists!

6. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Kwango

If that's what you want to call English.....then I speak it.

According to the dictionary, a tribe is:

1 a : a social group comprising numerous families, clans, or generations together with slaves, dependents, or adopted strangers b : a political division of the Roman people orig. representing one of the three original tribes of ancient Rome c : PHYLE
    2 : a group of persons having a common character, occupation, or interest
    3 : a category of taxonomic classification ranking below a subfamily; also : a natural group irrespective of taxonomic rank <the cat tribe> <rose tribe>

I read nothing racist in this definition.

But if you don't like the word tribe, what should I call them?

Race?

Country?

Essence?

Unified Souls?

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Ralfa'il, for the record, and for future reference, "Ethnic Group", as White folks call themselves, as opposed to US, or to Indigenous/Native Peoples, would be appropriate... "Tribe", by all appearances, is a neutral word, until one examines the context in which Europeans have utilized it as a sort of reductionist and deprecating term reserved for us, and others... What makes THEM an Ethnic Group, and us little tribes of folks, particularly when our "TRIBAL" populations far outnumber their so-called ethnic groups???

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Very true...words are important as they influence human thought and behaviour. If we were to say anything, we should say she belongs to the Zulu Nation as opposed to 'tribe"

9. Kwango_Likemba

Ratings:
    +11
    Ralfa'il, 'tribe' is used for all sorts of small units of backward or primitive peoples. The Zulu or Shona groups cannot be called 'tribes.' They are people or nations! Whites refer to us a 'tribe' to crush our strong cultural and political heritages. The Zulu kingdom conquered dozens of other kingdoms which gradually took on Zulu identity, therefore you can't call ZULU a tribe! Do you call the ethnic group 'African American' a tribe? Of course not! So, if you really want to give credibility and intelligence, call Africans of the continent properly.

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Sister Kwango thank you for enlightening us African Americans about the use of the word tribe. I must agree people or nation or even kingdom are more empowering, suitable words than tribe. To many of us through no fault of our own we simply don't know any different until someone tells us. We have been cut off from our people and have much to learn. In defense of brother Ralfa'il when you read his thread exam his heart. The brother was simply trying to add to this thread and not trying to be insulting. As the brother knows this may not be able to be said about all of his threads but in this case it can. There his been a rash arguing and bickering among member here of late. I would please ask our members for the sake of continuity and harmony in our community to please stop, take a deep breath and be patient with eachother. Give our brothers and sisters the benfit of the doubt and let us find a better way of expressing our concerns. I feel the community is hurting because of recent events. I will not elaborate; such would take away from this thread. Again sister thank you for this timely and helpful correction that applies not only to the brother in question but all us who simply don't know. As the saying goes "charge it to my head and not my heart".

Peace and love Sister....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. oprah winfrey zulu