Black People : Oprah...same subject, sorta different tip

cocobutterskyn said:
"should Oprah not complain about racism because she, perhaps, does not experience racism at the level that less notable African Americans???"

did the content of my post convey that?

No person(black or white) should tolerate racism.

I’m not hating on Oprah. I give her MADD props for her accomplishments. What I’m making reference to is... ordimary blacks live face to face with racism and are reminded almost DAILY that the world frowns upon darker hues. Blacks with money and fame are tolerated, til white society slips up and let the cat out the bag... that they’re still #%$$^*@. I can’t speak for anyone but myself on the envy, jealousy issue. I’m not jealous of, nor do I envy anyone’s fame and fortune or ANYONE PERIOD! God favored me and saved my life 2 years ago... that is worth more than all the Oprahs in the world. All I’m saying... WHEN IT COMES TO THE BLACK RACE... ALL THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS and MONEY IN THE WORLD doesn’t make us immune to the stench and ugliness of racism. And the Oprah incident is proof. Perhaps with her worldwide fame, money and the noise made about the ordeal will stir things up for the better.

If she is upset because it’s a racism issue, YES by all means stand up and take a stand, but if its because she didn’t get to shop when she wanted to... then don’t cry racism and involve the whole world. HELL just buy the **** store. (just joking) on the real... handle it with the store owner

:thanks: for responding to the thread

jus'sayit!
Coco :heart:

Sister Coco Butter, thank you for your reply to my post, as I gained clarity from your words...

Let me just say this, beautiful sister, I do believe that Oprah and her crowd share stories of racism among themselves no less than we do at this board... I'm sure that Oprah's favorite cats, like Jamie and Will Smith and Danny Glover and them, share their experiences with the authorities all the time, so it is no strange creature to them... Glover sued the Taxi and Limosine commission in New York about 10 years ago behind not being able to get a cab to take him uptown(that's Harlem for non-NYers)...

Historically, African American celebs have experienced racism on, perhaps, a more visceral level than the average African American by virtue of their CONSTANT CONTACT with White folks... They've got more stories to tell about racism than we can ever imagine; Nat King Cole being assaulted on stage in his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, Dorothy Dandridge having the pool drained at a chic hotel after she swam in it, Bill Russell coming home from a road trip, and finding the N-Word scrawled on his bedroom wall in excrement,and of course, Jackie Robinson, who was sent to an early grave because of his internalizing of the madness he experienced...

Listen, these folk are in a touchy situation as regards maintaining their status, and alienating the wrong folks... You and I might be a little more principled, and take a stronger stand against racism were we in ther position, but I have to admit it is not an easy decision to make from their vantage point... No one wants to do what Maqmood Abdul-Rauf did some years ago when he called the American flag a symbol of slavery and genocide, and was basically white-balled outta the NBA... Does any of us remember our brother??? I imagine he is somewhere making a living, but not on the level of the salary he was making in the NBA... That's the kind of thing I am considering, because I can't pay Maqmood a dime if he is unemployed...

Having said that, I tend to allow folk to do what they can do, and try to support them when and where I can... Now, if that was Condolezza Rice, however, making a charge of racism, I might have the attitude I've seen expressed by some of us at this board...(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Now, if that was Condolezza Rice, however, making a charge of racism, I might have the attitude I've seen expressed by some of us at this board...

Brother Isaiah ... why not give Sister Condolezza the same considerations you're willing to give Sister Oprah? Can you pay her salary if she loses it? Is she not dealing with the same "constant contact" and "touchy situations" that Oprah is ... probably on an even greater level?

Why the inconsistency?

Sister Coco ... haaaaaaaaaaaaay ... wave'n atcha ... Welcome Home ... :wave:

The perception of buying into the "American Dream," sedates us or something ... till we get that guaranteed to arrive reality check ... kinda like Brother Bill, talk'n all that stuff, now they on him like white on rice.

But no matter, they my people and i love 'em all!

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:
Brother Isaiah ... why not give Sister Condolezza the same considerations you're willing to give Sister Oprah? Can you pay her salary if she loses it? Is she not dealing with the same "constant contact" and "touchy situations" that Oprah is ... probably on an even greater level?

Why the inconsistency?

Sister Coco ... haaaaaaaaaaaaay ... wave'n atcha ... Welcome Home ... :wave:

The perception of buying into the "American Dream," sedates us or something ... till we get that guaranteed to arrive reality check ... kinda like Brother Bill, talk'n all that stuff, now they on him like white on rice.

But no matter, they my people and i love 'em all!

:heart:

Destee

Sister Destee, appreciating your question, as well as Sister Condoleeza Rice's publicly-stated right-wing, neoconservative positions on racism, yes, it would have come as a shock to me that she mustered the courage to admit that she had been discrimminated against.

As you may know, Ms. Rice was the friend of one of the 4 young girls murdered in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama on September 16, 1963... She states that despite growing up in Alabama as she did, she never experienced any racism there, nor in her rise to prominence as a university professor, and on into her high-level cabinet position in the right-wing conservative Bush administration... Under those circumstances, again, it would not only shock me, but throw up some red flags of doubt for me, as I am human like every other individual who posts at Destees(smile!)

I would wonder WHAT brought on this sudden change of consciousness about racism, as she has stated that racism is most often based on perception than reality... I would want to know what was the process that brought her to conclude that such an incident was based on her reality rather than her perception, and implicit in that sort of questioning is the spectre of doubt... Doubt, not that the incident had occured, but doubt about the consistency of her positions over the years...

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back