Black People : Oprah - "I've Got Good White Folks working for me"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dandan, May 15, 2007.

1. dandan

dandan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
  2. silent-ra

silent-ra Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    “I stand here as a symbol of what is possible when you believe in the dream of your own life,” Winfrey said. “Don’t be afraid. All you need to do is know who you are."

a symbol of what is possible huh? according to whose standard? and then she says all yu need to know is who yu are. then, are we to belive she knows "thyself"? :laugh:

one can tell the level of consciousness one is at based on their s/heros.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Not to stir up multiple pages of debates, but Did any of Our Ancient Afurakan Ancestors ever have any "good white friends?" If they did, Where are their descendants?

MK

4. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    I'm not a huge Oprah fan but in fairness I think the quote is out of context in this thread, she didnt up and say - "I've Got Good White Folks working for me" out of nowhere, it was response to her grandmother who grew up when segregation in the US was at its height, saying she hoped Oprah would "work for some good white folks" and Oprah is flipping it by saying on the contrary its the good white folks working for her.

Fair comment in my book.

5. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    great point

i think taking this OUT OF CONTEXT is where the problem starts

i totally get her point

and yours as well KING

peace

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Exactly.

Thanks for pointing this out.

7. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    This is what makes the tabloids so juicy. The media showcases snippets of conversation, and relays the message to their liking. As much as Oprah gives to the white community, I'm certain she wouldn't make such 'crude' remarks. That would be counter-productive for her.

8. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    comments from the "other side" about this

boy when we say something about something

people scream we're not being objective

you know "look" at both sides

comments from the "other side of the tracks" if you may

Winfrey loses ...

Brooklyn: Shame on Oprah Winfrey for telling Howard University's commencement that her grandmother wished for her to get "some good white folks" to work for, and that, "I regret that she didn't live past 1963 and see that I did get some really good white folks working for me." And shame on the Daily News (Rush & Molloy, May 15) for printing her bigoted words.

Sandy Cassidy

with college speech

Newark: Oprah Winfrey's remarks at Howard University show that anyone can say the wrong thing. Her racist comment about whites was insulting to everyone. If she were white or Asian, there would be demands that she apologize and be fired. She owes an apology to all white people, as white women support and watch her show. But she should not step down, because free speech is to be respected and even Oprah makes mistakes.

Steve Sacco

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2007/05/18/2007-05-18_voice_of_the_people.html

i don't see how this is remotely racist

it's more a matter of fact

she said this in reference to a comment by her grandmother

her grandmother grew up in a different world a different planet

so oprah said "instead of me working for good white people, good white people work for me"

and listen - get this str8 i'm not OPRAH crazy

but i respect what she's done

she's living the

"AMERIKAN DREAM"

and she's not living on the street or in a shelter

9. torch

torch Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2

Me either....if I was oprah I wouldnt called them "good" look at how they attack her for speaking a basic truth in a way....Where was the outcry when michael richards insulted 2 brothers??

I am sick of whites thinking we should bow down to them as gods and if we dont somehow we are racist or bigoted....And white women only support the shows Oprah speaks only out them

I watched a few episodes of oprah and when every time she spoke about blacks and slavery one of them white ******* would bring up "women's oppression"/"feminism" what has white women been threw exactly? what struggles??There families werent taken from there homeland and forced to work for the euro-thugians here, and lynched and mutilated if they ran away or even read!!

I get sick of white america applauding white women speak about how they have been oppressed, victimized, and the funniest thing I ever heard from a white person's mouth "It was white women who helped end slavery too"

But we should "get over it" right?:hulk: