Black People : Oprah gives cars to her audience

Aisha

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 9, 2004
I read that Oprah gave away a brand new vehicle to every one of her audience members. Normally I would think something like this is exciting but Oprah's audience mostly consist of middle class to high class white women who fly from various states just to see her show. Why not give a brand new vehicle to 200 + low income families that do not have cars. It really makes me sad and upset to hear about this. Did anybody else read about this? If so, What are your thoughts?

Aisha

KWABENA

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 10, 2004
Everywhere
Occupation
Leader-Student-Teacher
Aisha, My Sistah!

No, I did not read about Oprah giving out cars to her audience, but where you there when she gave all of her audience members $300 grills, $1,000 no $5,000 worth of housekeeping items and stuff? I was very irate to see that, because you are right sistah, they are middle class to affluent white people. The only show black people get on is Ricki Lake, and maybe Jerry Springer to make a fool out of themselves. But back to my point.

My aunt is a very hard-working successful women who does all sorts of things for the Black Community, and she is not a millionare herself. She wrote Oprah a letter asking of her to help support a board game she created for children in the Black Communities to stop smoking and to say no to drugs. Oprah wrote her back, and said that she could not help her, because she did not have the MONEY! Ha! Oprah Winfrey not having the money!
Ever since then, I have not even seen a picture of her, or heard her voice, and this was 7 months ago. She is paid billions, as long as she keeps the white folks happy. The government has alienated her, and the black women who support her by reading her magazines and reading her books, watching her on TV of course, are her victims. When was the last time she helped out a struggling family? Even her own family? The fact that she has billions bothers me. Its her money, but she earns it by being an opulent white women's best friend.

No offense, but I would not be surprised if the only African-American culture in her house was the maid or servant paid to clean up after her.

I don't like the way rich black folks treat the rest of the community, I really don't. All I know is I will NEVER be rich. And as you can see, like Oprah sistah, some people are just too supportive of white folks who don't need money; they need a better reputation.

Cedric Denson

Nubian1Princess

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, she actually did give a car to every one of her audience members. They were pretty nice cars too.

Hmmmm....she stated that her staff searched diligently for individuals that really needed cars. Whether this is true or not, only Oprah, her staff, and the audience members know.

I do agree with you though. There are many low class families that desperately need a vehicle. By Oprah's audience consisting of mostly middle and high class women, I'm sure that many of them could afford to purchase a car if their current vehicles were in such bad conditions.

However, I am not one to knock blessings for others.

AfroBoricuaRoni

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 12, 2003
Philly
Occupation
Student
geez

I'm not one to judge another however, I do have a strong opinion about this issue.

Oprah is very rich and I'd hate to think that she has, all this time, been one of many Black people who do not reach back to help those who were left behind on her way to the top.

While I was moved by her journey to South Africa and her giving Christmas gifts to the children there, I just thought that instead of little dolls and whatnot, how about investing in building some little places they could live with running water and roofs that don't leak. I've seen many African people who play sports and all that give back to Africa by building hospitals and feeding the people there. This is money that she has paid her dues for but come on, O. How about purchasing uniforms for those without them? They aren't allowed to attend school without a uniform, what's the doll gonna do? It sure won't feed them. Would it hurt to invest in medication and better facilities for the parents dying of AIDS and leaving children to raise themselves.

I read a Christmas of her magazine and she has about two other Winfrey's at the dinner table with her. The rest were people you never heard of before.

I see her shows consisting of specials on products that cost an arm and a leg and all these give aways for the audience. I just think that all that money should be put into improving the Black community. What happened to the episodes about the charities and all that?

CarrieMonet

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 26, 2003
Seattle
Occupation
Love my job!
I just refuse to watch the show. I admire her for the empire she has built...but her show and giveaways do not move me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm Clock Black People : Oprah Winfrey Gives Millions To New African-American Museum In D.C. Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Why Oprah Should Not Run for President Black People Politics 17
IFE Black People Politics : Ivanka Trump tries to hop on Oprah’s #MeToo message. #MeToo says no thanks. Black People Politics 3
umbrarchist Black Entertainment : Oprah on Big Screen Black Entertainment 4
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : oprah-celebrates-young-black-women-by-attending-their-grad-ceremonies Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Liberty Black Money Business Jobs : The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) Internship Program Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People Politics : Oprah Winfrey 4 President 2020 Black People Politics 14
RAPTOR Black People : Oprah and Sharpton Attack Black Lives Matter Movement Black People Open Forum 3
RAPTOR Black People : Selma: Black History According to Oprah Black People Open Forum 12
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : Selma --- Oprah's Non-Bioptics Movie about MLK, Jr. Black Entertainment 26
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : Move over, Oprah! Beyonce is world's most powerful celebrity Black Entertainment 0
Knowledge Seed Black Positive People : Oprah is No Longer the Richest Black Woman in the World Black People Doing Positive Things 10
cherryblossom Black Education / Schools : 1st Graduating Class of Oprah's S. African Girl's School Black Education / Schools 1
Black-king Black Jokes Humor : Paul Mooney on Oprah Black Jokes Humor 2
Amnat77 Black People : I Think this woman- Megan Mcglover is going to be the next Oprah Black People Open Forum 4
PurpleMoons Black Entertainment : OWN, Oprah Winfrey Network Launch Spot 2010 Black Entertainment 0
$$RICH$$ Black Education / Schools : Oprah Winfrey School Black Education / Schools 13
cherryblossom Black People : HAVE LUNCH OR DINNER ON OPRAH Black People Open Forum 10
M Black People : TYLER PERRY STUDIO WITH OPRAH & SIDNEY POITIER Black People Open Forum 13
jamesfrmphilly Black People : devils attack oprah! Black People Open Forum 2
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : Oprah, Obama and the Occult? Omowale Jabali 36
T Black People Politics : The two O's (Obama and Oprah) Black People Politics 24
F Black People : A New Earth and Oprah's Class Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Oprah With Her Afro Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 7
Destee Black Entertainment : 50 Cent Speaks on Imus and Oprah @ BET Black Entertainment 24
D Black People : Oprah - "I've Got Good White Folks working for me" Black People Open Forum 8
SpiritualONE Black People : Oprah Winfrey Is Ignorant When It Comes to Vaccinations Black People Open Forum 28
Metaverse Black People : Why Are We Mad At Oprah? Black People Open Forum 104
D Black Entertainment : oprah's dirty little secret Black Entertainment 0
D Black Entertainment : Oprah the richest woman in entertainment with $1.5 billion Black Entertainment 1
D Black Entertainment : oprah lost a baby at 14 Black Entertainment 1
D Black Entertainment : “Oprah thinks African Girls Deserve My Charity More than American Girls… Black Entertainment 0
D Black Entertainment : oprah lets stedman move in Black Entertainment 1
I Black Entertainment : The Case Against Rap's Case Against Oprah Winfrey. Black Entertainment 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : Oprah's Africa Black People Open Forum 40
A Black Entertainment : Oprah's Legends Ball Black Entertainment 3
K Black People : Letter to Oprah Black People Open Forum 15
cocobutterskyn Black People : Oprah...same subject, sorta different tip Black People Open Forum 8
Destee Black People : Oprah Discriminated Against?! Black People Open Forum 34
P Pan Africanism : Oprah Winfrey is a Zulu African American History Culture 26
P South Africa : Oprah & South Africa South Africa 2
HODEE Black People : Barack Obama Gives Advise To Protesters and took to social media to ‘bring about change’ for social injustice Black People Open Forum 2
R Black Poetry : Win with rhyme and spend the time relaxing from the hassle of travel gives him a headache that rascal unravels your brain, pour up a cup we'll have Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
OldSoul Black People : Ta-Nehisi Coates gives McConnell an epic lesson on racism Black People Open Forum 6
Senegal Black People : Black Woman Gives White Attacker More Than He Bargained For Black People Open Forum 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Kevin Hart refuses to apologize for homophobic tweets even after Academy gives ultimatum Black People Politics 13
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : After overcoming unthinkable hardship, Eritrean athlete never gives up Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Grateful woman gives her stepfather the greatest Christmas gift he could ask for Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Nigeria : UN gives top prize to Chibok girls negotiator Nigeria 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Ethiopia : U.S. gives a further $91 million in food aid to drought-hit Ethiopia Ethiopia 0