Open question for open minds

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by soulful2006, May 5, 2005.

1. soulful2006

soulful2006 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    What are your feelings about black high school athletes and how the professional world effects their careers decisions?
    :tennis: :bball: :kickball: :run: :vball: :playball:

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    High School activities are supposed to give you something to do AFTER school. However, as you can see, it has ONLY become a distraction to many athletes. I am in college, and the athletes who miss the most class time and homework, are worthless competitors (GOD FORBID) meaning, they spend all their time on sports, yet they are not valuable to the team.

Just play High School sports as an activity - NOT as a way to prepare for your life.

CD

3. soulful2006

Ratings:
    +18
    High school athletes go ahead and speak out!!

Thanks for the feedback. I am a high school athlete and I don't plan on letting trasck and field be my career of choice I have goals that don't involve sports at all.
    Would any other High school athletics like to comment?
    :run: :kickball: :number1:

4. tcr1223

tcr1223 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a friend who plays football his really really good ..hes been playing varsity since he was in 9th and hes been having to deal with the camps and trainning and all that stuff since then. and i kno that sometimes that he has so much pressure to be this star player that his grades slip or he just startes having issues at home .now that hes in the 11th he is having such a hard time deciding if he wants to go pro because he doesnt want to be away form his family for so long but the pro teams want him so hes really at a standstill

5. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I know what youre talkin bout im a really good basketball player and it seems like people like trying to tell me what im gonna do. I also think its ridiculous how prep schools pull guys away from their own high school. I dont wanna go to a prep school for ballplayers next year because its basically a training camp and I like to hang with my friends and i'd barely have time for that. I might wanna go to the NBA but I wanna enjoy high school.

6. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    It's what I like to call "Manchild in the Promised Land Syndrome". :donttell:

7. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Thats pretty clever

8. soulful2006

Ratings:
    +18
    Thank you very much

I appreciate the feedback.I go to a high school where athletes aren't so mainstream. The ones who are good don't really seem to have direction in the choices they make. Most of my friends are on the track team ,so am I and the majority of us plan to go to college and persue real careers outside of sports.