Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
To: Judge Mazur
Date: December 13, 2009
Subject: Re: Russell Nicks & I Court office appearance

Dear Judge Mazur:

I regret that you have no “independent recollection” of your emotional outburst in your office while I was assisting my 95 year old great uncle. Usually peoples memory stay intact with extreme emotional events of sadness or anger. I tell you I will never forget it.

It seems to me Judge that you have a hair-triggered emotional rage eager to shoot it off primarily at defendants. The balancing scales I know aren’t on my side when I was in your office. I know you have All-power to loose your cool, your temper and rage. But I, Oh no, I could not respond to you in like manner. If I lost my composer or decorum my liberty would be in jeopardy. This is the game: People with authority can overreact, provoke, be confrontational and launch an unjust preemptive emotional strike to tempt a peasant. But I knew my place and which side the scales leaned on so I kept my cool. Because in reality it doesn’t matter how you treated me; it only matters on how I respond to a hair-triggered emotional rage of mistreatment.

The minute I walked into your court office I was irate. I had just spent 10-15 minutes walking with an elderly person with his baby walker to aide his strength to find the multi-million dollar corporation (Sears) and their multimillion dollar attorneys for the Plaintiff absent. They were allowed to sit at their office for a telephone conference while this needed luxury wasn’t bestowed upon my uncle who is weak at his legs with gout in his feet and other aliments. I was in rage about this but had the jurist prudence to keep it to myself.

Then to add insult to injury you the Chief Judge of the district court felt the need to yell and scream at me because, (as f I done some criminal act), I had to stand up to get a notepad and pen to take notes of the proceeding. Something is very wrong here sir. I felt like that African immigrant in New York who pulled his wallet from his back pants and the police had their hair-triggered response. Were you upset and angry that we contested the Plaintiff’s lawsuit. I know that 99% of these lawsuit’s the defendants submit, don’t respond and fall into default judgment. With this being the usually course of business you probably objected to us being out of the norm? With you disrespecting me it puts a cool stain on the court reputation of not tolerating a defendant in civil or criminal matters protesting. Mistreatment like yours creates a cause and effect of people not wanting to participate in the justice system.

I made a vow to myself to document and express my feelings towards injustice, mistreatment or anything that was wrong. Write it down and let the other side know how I feel. This could be the criminal justice system, A School board, A hospital, An employer or any individual or group providing public or private services.

To: Judge Mazur
Date: December 5, 2009
Subject: Courtroom Courteous & Diversity

Judge Mazur:

A couple of months ago I assisted my 95 year-old great uncle, Russell Nicks, in your courtroom office on a civil matter. I was there to be his eyes and hears for the two of these faculties have declined. I wanted to take notes on this matter and stood up to get a pen and notebook out of my pocket and you uncharacteristically yelled from the top of your lungs for me to sit down. This was unnecessary, rude and disrespectful. This behavior was not consistent with Canon 3 of the code of Judicial Conduct:

“ A judge should be patient, dignified, and courteous to litigants”. or Humiliating acts

I’m not trying to make WWIII out of this matter but thought I should have at least conveyed my thoughts to you. If this courtroom was a super market or Hospital I would never return because I felt mistreated as a customer. I hope that this isn’t the practice and custom of the court system in Jackson County, MI to treat its citizens. Common courtesy can go a long way. If people feel disrespected they will not come back to serve on a jury, be a witness for a victim or other legal matters. They will only come by force or heart attack if it was a hospital. Not treating people in a dignified manner can lead to a subversion of Judicial Justice because people are not motivated to participate in it. If you treated me like this in a small civil manner I know whats going on on the big stuff.

I think its out of line to be telling grown men to sit down in a yelling almost screaming manner. It was humiliating and it motivates the grieved party not to participate in the Criminal justice System in the future. The long term affects of this disrespect wears and tears at justice slowly like a cancer grows to subvert justice and democracy.

In the future I would like to see judges reflect the diverse community in existence. So far for almost 200 years this courtroom has failed in diversity.

Truly yours,

Andre Austin

CC: Those Interested

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back